Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well looks like Mark 7 / Lyman have some new Competition. Excited to see what this brings about (Dillon buys Ammobot)

Yeah, she says it alright. I'll have to ask if it's true or if she just bs'd it. The powder measure looks the same as mine. And there's no field in the tablet program today to do anything but turn the powder measure on and off like any other sensor.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, she says it alright. I'll have to ask if it's true or if she just bs'd it. The powder measure looks the same as mine. And there's no field in the tablet program today to do anything but turn the powder measure on and off like any other sensor.

I’m gonna ask on Monday too when they email me back about exchanging it. May not exchange if she was bs ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Dillon should have bought Mark7 - , that would have given them automation and cut out one of their competitors. They could use the innovation. They should have been incorporating some of the aftermarket upgrades that most everyone does into revisions into the press. Thrust bearings, primer bearing plate on 550, primer cut-off switches on 650s, etc. And they never did. I'm glad to see the 750 and 1100 - but they're not exactly radical improvements. Mark7 keeps coming up with new stuff. Sensors, primer collators, refining and updating parts within their main press as they improve them.   One mans opinion anyway. 

But I think we can all agree - the competition is good, has brought new products to market for us. We've had more innovation in progressive presses in the last 5 years than I think we had in the 15 years before that.

spot on

2 hours ago, mikey_golds said:

I’m gonna ask on Monday too when they email me back about exchanging it. May not exchange if she was bs ing.

I just talked with Misty, she said no it was a mistake. It's same functionality as its always been.

Plus if you think about it, how would you even accomplish it. Grains is a weight (mass), and powders are different density. The adjustment in the powder throws are volume. you'd have to have an internal scale.

Edited by OptimiStick

I just talked with Misty, she said no it was a mistake. It's same functionality as its always been.

Plus if you think about it, how would you even accomplish it. Grains is a weight (mass), and powders are different density. The adjustment in the powder throws are volume. you'd have to have an internal scale.

That’s some mistake lol. So what do you think upgrade to the digital or stick with mechanical? Also how’d you hit her up it’s a Saturday ;)

49 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

My first thought was they incorporated an internal scale as I saw that video too.

Maybe that's the next innovation Dillon will come up with their new acquisition.....

34 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

My first thought was they incorporated an internal scale as I saw that video too.

Maybe that's the next innovation Dillon will come up with their new acquisition.....

that'd be some innovation for sure. My Gempro wanders a bit if I look at it funny without the cover on it. I can't imagine a scale on a moving part having any real accuracy.

16 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

that'd be some innovation for sure. My Gempro wanders a bit if I look at it funny without the cover on it. I can't imagine a scale on a moving part having any real accuracy.

Put some ferrite cores on the power cord.  Since I did that my Gempro 250 is as stable as it gets. 

Edited by chevrofreak

Yeah, I've got one looped on mine. It's the 300. it's fine , just crazy sensitive. The AC or my breath will move it if I don't have the cover on it. But if the covers on, it's solid.

But could you imagine it in a moving powder measure? 

having a digitally measured powdered charge on a fast operating press would be a pretty big technical challenge. The measures (you'd need more than one) would have to be off press, and somehow get their charges to the press when needed. Neat idea, but I don't see it being something that could be done easily

I thought when I ordered my Automated Evolution (ITAR friendly) that that was how the digital powder measure worked. Duh...

I’m probably going to order 2 more as I’m loading for 3 guns.  How easy is changing the charge?

I’m unfortunately stuck with a press that’s missing a case feeder pole and special mounting plate.  Would have been so much easier if I could have got a Revo.  I was all ready to set it up Tuesday but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out to mount the case/bullet feeder.  Misty sent the manual for the initial instal and it became clear how to (and what was missing)

1 hour ago, slavex said:

having a digitally measured powdered charge on a fast operating press would be a pretty big technical challenge. The measures (you'd need more than one) would have to be off press, and somehow get their charges to the press when needed. Neat idea, but I don't see it being something that could be done easily

Im not sure it would be as crazy as you think. I feel like there would just need to be a calibration cycle and the press would calibrate the weight to an internal scale. The scale wouldn't need to measure every charge.  Maybe it would trickle in a charge by slowly opening up, similar to turning the screw on a mechanical drop, onto an internal scale on a press that wasn't moving. Then maybe the user would be required to test 10 drops against an external scale.

I'm sure this can be done but it would probably be cost prohibitive but I would think it's possible. Even if it's not super accurate, it might be faster to punch up .05 or .01 on the tablet to change the charge vs messing around with a screw.

@Intheshaw1 I've seen setups on commercial setups with balance beam setups, multiple scales are needed to keep up with a fast moving machine. Digital would require the same kind of setup, and it can't be on the machine as the vibrations cause issues. The vast majority use a volume measuring system, usually multiple ones as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lyman supposed has a new cast version of their press coming out - to compete with the Dillon. They are not eliminating the machined version. 

They also have this new bada$$ primer loader system coming out in July (?)...link below.... $499 is a great price!

23 hours ago, MNJoel said:

Lyman supposed has a new cast version of their press coming out - to compete with the Dillon. They are not eliminating the machined version. 

They also have this new bada$$ primer loader system coming out in July (?)...link below.... $499 is a great price!

hopefully July i pre-ordered the new primer system but who knows with covid. 

On 5/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, mikey_golds said:

interesting maybe there is a new digital powder measure in that video go to 3 min 40 seconds from this years shot show, he asks why digital, and she goes you type the grains on the tablet and it throws. 

I think i may spring for primer collator you got, im sure covid has thrown a hitch in the new system being released. so ill just mail my press back when they reach out to me to talk on monday 

If you can adjust the powder throw from the tablet on an evolution. Take my money. 

RE: Digital PM, it is a very sweet tool. I am getting mostly +/- .1 gr with Varget. Not perfect for precision but a good accuracy for my 200 yard practice loads.

One warning though, you absolutely MUST use a powder check die when you use the Digital. With the mechanical, it’s pretty impossible for the mechanics to break and it to stop working mid run. One of my Digital PM’s (brand new) failed miserably IMO. It would run fine for about 20 rounds then just stop dropping. I would turn on/off the control box and it would work perfectly again for another 10-20 rounds.

I swapped control boxes and that fixed it so the issue was the control box. Misty sent me new one. 

4 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

RE: Digital PM, it is a very sweet tool. I am getting mostly +/- .1 gr with Varget. Not perfect for precision but a good accuracy for my 200 yard practice loads.

One warning though, you absolutely MUST use a powder check die when you use the Digital. With the mechanical, it’s pretty impossible for the mechanics to break and it to stop working mid run. One of my Digital PM’s (brand new) failed miserably IMO. It would run fine for about 20 rounds then just stop dropping. I would turn on/off the control box and it would work perfectly again for another 10-20 rounds.

I swapped control boxes and that fixed it so the issue was the control box. Misty sent me new one. 

anyone notice the powder check sensor is essentially only useful for a no charge with pistol powders?

It’s essentially a no charge or double charge aid. 

anyone notice the powder check sensor is essentially only useful for a no charge with pistol powders?

It’s essentially a no charge or double charge aid. 

Idk anything out there outside of manual weighing that can be digital and get ya .1 off alerts

2 hours ago, mikey_golds said:

Idk anything out there outside of manual weighing that can be digital and get ya .1 off alerts

I had a lockout did when I ran my press manual that detected pretty minute powder differences.