Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer stuck on depcappping pin

flycaster

Hello. I'm using a Lee rotary loading press- I 've had good success with it for many thousands of rounds. But now a used primer is stuck on the tip of the pin, and I can't get into the opening to try to remove it. I also can't loosen the nut that locks the pin in position. Tried about everything. Other than returning it to Lee, any suggestions would be appreciated. Naturally this happened while I was trying to load a bunch of boxes of 9mm. Sheesh.

Chuck

Edited by flycaster

Just raise the handle and it will place the used primer back into the shell. Grind a chisel point on the decapping pin and the used primers can no longer get a grip on the tip on the depriming pin. Some experimentation may be necessary to fine tune the tip but generally a profile of a flat blade screw driver works best.

I'm a little confused. Since the primer is solidly attached to the pin, I don't see how it gets from the die back into the bottom of a brass case. In any case, it seems to be VERY stuck on the pin. If I'm misunderstanding you, I apologize.

Chuck

are you saying that a primer stuck to the decaping  pin .then it pulled back through the case?

Lets see a picture of that. otherwise what sarge said.And through that case away if it did pull back through.

Edited by AHI

Actually, I don't know how it happened. Your question is a good one, but I'm afraid I can't answer it. I only know that there is a spent primer that is very stuck to the tip of the pin.

Chuck 

are you sure its not a .22 case stuck to the de cap rod?

use 2 wrenches 1 on the top of the die the other on the decap rod nut.

heat it up with a heat gun etc if necessary.   hit decap nut wrench with a hammer

sudden shock may break it loose. still would like to see a picture of this.

On close examination, it does look like the center rod has snapped off. Darn. And Lee Precision is basically closed- no phone number or email address on their website. 

Chuck

Snapping that pin (or bending it) is not uncommon. You might as well pick up some replacements unless you don't mind being offline while Lee ships you a new pin.

I Forum member has offered one at a below new price. I posted my problem on this Forum before any other, because it doesn't seem like a group of strangers. Nice.

Chuck

Edited by flycaster

Generally the Lee decapping pins just push up out of the die rather than break unless there is something causing a side load on the pin like debris in the case or the collet nut is overtightened preventing the pin from pushing up. 

I believe all Lee handgun dies use the same decapping pin (p/n 90027) and it's available on Amazon, Fleabay and else where.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90027-Decapping-Handgun/dp/B00HZ9U5H2

There are also aftermarket versions that a supposedly stronger, but I have no experience with them.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For those of you who are decapping and NOT sizing on the same die, when do you size?

I'm new to the RL1100 and am getting primers sucked back into the primer pocket with my Dillon die.  I'm thinking of switching to my Lee decapping/sizing die but I wonder how it will work since it's not radiused.  When I did this in .40 cal on my 550 press I crushed a lot of cases because the case didn't line up with the die perfectly.

If I try a FW Arms or Mighty Armory decapper, then when do you size??