Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter slide on an open minor gun (with no comp)?

matteekay

I'm toying with putting together an open minor 2011 because, hilariously, it would work in IDPA Carry Optics provided I don't use a comp. The build plan right now is a 9mm with a dot mounted on the slide. I know lots of folks are using mid-length slides on their major builds to reduce reciprocating mass but they're typically pairing it with a comp - would  the same logic hold true with no comp? Or should I just stick with a 5" slide?

Guncrafter makes one. STI has the DVC carry. I've seen several at 3 gun (normal to run a 9mm minor in 3 gun). Lots of commander length 9mms put there. I see no reason it wouldn't work. And with a dot, sight radius isnt an issue anymore.

You're not treading new ground I dont think. 

8 hours ago, matteekay said:

Didn't think I was. I was mostly curious if anyone here had done it and what their impressions were.

3 gun guys seem to like it.  fewer long pistol shots on most 3-gun stages so the decreased sight radius isn't a problem.  plenty of barrel to get enough velocity.  lower reciprocating mass keeps muzzle jump in check.  I'm doing a 5" build for 3 gun right now, but I'm sticking with open sights.  I had very seriously considered a commander slide with a sight block, but figured I'd save that build for another day.  Everyone who has one I talked to seemed to like it.  (and I think the DVC carry is the nicest looking pistol STI makes, so... there's that...)

• 1 month later...

There are many ways to reduce reciprocating mass.  Tri-top the slide.  Cut an Open gun scallop on the rear of the slide and mount the dot on it.  Use a bushing barrel.  I'd stick with a 5" slide because there are more tuning options.  

Hello: I have a IDPA bull barrel 2011 I built a couple of years ago. It has a cut down 5" barrel and slide to meet the rules. It also has a custom guide rod and uses a flat recoil spring. I run iron sights on it but it is a very fast pistol and accurate as well. Thanks, Eric