Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Ejection Problems

racegun9

I have a SV Slide & Frame built gun with a 9mm breechface and 5.4" AET barrel.

No matter what extractor or ejector set-up I use, the empty case comes out erratic and mostly high and hits the bottom of the cmore. I've tried the Aftec and regular extractor's and have plenty of extractor tension. I've also tried all different length ejectors and ejector hit points. I have it hitting at the very

top of the ejector right now. Nothing really seems to change it. Also, if you take the mag out and fire the last round the empty will drop out the bottom of the grip most of the time. With the scope off the empties will arch up and out about 5 feet most of the time but sometimes come forward or backward or dribble out.

Its not hitting the bottom of the ejection port.

Anyone have any idea's to check before I send it to Benny, or Dan or one of the Pro smiths willing to take a shot at it.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

How tight is the extractor to firing pin stop fit? If the extractor can turn a little bit against the firing pin stop you can get erratic ejection like you describe.

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

How tight is the extractor to firing pin stop fit?  If the extractor can turn a little bit against the firing pin stop you can get erratic ejection like you describe.

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

Yes, it is fitted tight to avoid the clocking (turning) issue.

Then I had another FP stop to use with the radius edge's for the aftec.

Jeff

I had a similar problem. Tried so many things to clear it up that I forgot what actually worked. Anyway, here's what I tried:

A heavier recoil spring -- a 10 or 11lb

Brazos tuned ejector

Polished bullets after reloading. I was using Hornady lube which seemed to gum up the bullets enough so that they weren't ejecting cleanly.

Carefully drop-checked rounds in my chamber. I did this to rule out the possibility of a bad round or two

Tried slightly different OALs on the bullets.

Weighed the powder in a sample of rounds to make sure light rounds weren't getting through which could affect ejection patterns

Sorted brass by headstamp to see if there was a difference in ejection. I didn't find any, but you might

Used a lighter lube -- even slide-glide lite was too heavy. I thinned it out with a lot of oil. This seemed to make a big difference.

Carefully checked the extractor tension. BTW, I had the same problem with the stock and the Aftec extractor.

Made sure I had full slide travel w/ the recoil spring. Also made sure the guide rod plug was seated properly

Took out shok-buffs

Made sure the comp was clearing the frame

Cursed a lot. Maybe that's what did it.

I know that some of what I tried has nothing to do with ejection per se, but I'm convinced that different things can tie together to produce unreliability.

If you're having ejection problems with both springs in the Aftec, then try taking one out. First take out the front spring and see how it ejects. Then try the back one. By removing one of the springs you relieve some of the tension. You can fine tune the tension by moving the spring forward and back.

I've been running one in the back since I got my 9major in the spring. The back space is the one that you hope will work since it's easier to get into the gun with just the back one.

Good Luck

NOTE on 9mm: If your slide has a true, 9mm breech face (like the SVI interchangable, some Caspians and Nowlins, order extractor #466-001-038.

466-001-038

fits .38 Super

From Brownells order page.

Edited by .40AET

if you're sure the extractor is setup properly then let's look at the ejector.first thing to do is if you're not sure how the brass is coming out of the gun is to take the scope off and shoot it to get a real good look at how it comes out with no scope on it. second thing you want to do is take a look and see if there a brass marks on the inside edge of the ejection port. alot of times when you have the contact point of your ejector at the highest point, what it is doing is ejecting the case so low that it is hitting the inside of the ejection port and then bouncing the case up hitting the bottom of the scope, which means you have to lower the contact point a bit to raise the ejection of the case to come out at about 2 o'clock so it clears the bottom of the scope and does not hit the ejection port. i usually paint the inside of the ejection port with a black magic marker and put a piece of masking tape across the bottom of the scope and or scope mount so that if the brass is hitting either surface i can see the marks and adjust the contact point on the ejector to kick it out clear of both. the most common thing i see is that people think that the shell is coming out too high and hitting the scope or mount when it is actually ejecting too low and hitting the inside of the ejection port first and then bouncing up and hitting the scope or mount. tuning the ejector for reliable ejection on a 9mm is critical because that short little case really tends to bounce and fly around and do alot of wierd shit as compared to the longer super and supercomp cases. also another important point is to sort all the cheap crap brass out. if you're using once fired brass just reload it yourself once and let it go, it's cheap enough that you don't need to keep stressing and deforming the case by loading it over and over. i sort all my 9mm brass by major headstamps,(federal,winchester,remington), and i scrap all the oddball junk brass. if you do this it will cut down on and hopefully eliminate the malfunctions because there are so many different manufacturers of 9mm brass that quite a bit of it is just crap!

NOTE on 9mm: If your slide has a true, 9mm breech face (like the SVI interchangable, some Caspians and Nowlins, order extractor #466-001-038.

466-001-038

fits .38 Super

From Brownells order page.

Yes, I have the SVI interchangable breech face and used the 38 super one, not the

rimless one. I have tried various tension levels as well.

Thanks

Jeff

Dan,

I had the scope off last Saturday and also painted the ejection port with dykem blue. I could not see any kind of mark on the dykem. Most cases arc up about 1 o'clock and out 4-5 feet, But some do some really wierd things. I'm using all once fired Federal cases that have been run thru the case-pro. Loading 1.150 with a 125JHP Zero and SP-2 powder. SV mags, some with spacers and some not.

The spacer mags seem to keep the ejection a little more consistent but still high.

If I do have the cmore on and tape the bottom, almost every case will leave a mark on the tape. The hit point on the ejector just does not seem to change the ejection pattern. The latest ejector is a limcat from Chuck and I have it hiting at the very top & inside. I'm thinking I might need to send it to you for an expert opinion.

Jeff

Open gun blues

Jeff, I too had real bad problems with ejection in my major 9. After going through every thing you did and more, I ended up puting an offset Brazo C- More scope mount on my Caspian. The offset is 0.25" to the left. After a couple hundred rounds you won't even notice it. This cured all my problems. I know it is not a fix, but a bandaid.

Do what Dan said!!

Ive had two of the 9mm open guns give me a fit and I discovered

that the aftec was pinched inside the extractor tunnel of the slide

look down the hole and see if you can see machine marks=then

paint the aftec /spring holder and see if you are getting heavy scuff marks

on the bottom of the two legs that go on each side of the extractor.

I take a chain saw round file and smooth up the slide tunnel to the outside

of the slide .And take off a little of each leg of the spring holder.

Also if you guys are beveling the fireing pin stop make sure its even so

the extractor isnt binding when it trys to move and make sure the top of

the hole where the extractor sticks out of the slide/breech face is clearanced

as the instructions for the aftec says.

Get SVI's 9mm breech face!!! you can do as the instructions for the

Aftec says to the top of the breech face hole where the extractor sticks out

real good before you put it in the slide. USE A MARKER AND PAINT THE

AREA AROUND SLIDES EJECTION PORT. MAKE SURE THE RIGHT SIDE

LIP OF THE MAG ISNT GETTING IN THE WAY ,PAINT IT AND LOOK

FOR SCUFF MARKS. LOWER THE EJECTION PORT AND THE MAGS LIP

AS NECESSARY.

Jim

s :wub: Sailors Custom

You have said that you are using a 38 super breechface and then you said you are using a 9mm breechface. I bet you have a 38 super breechface and are not getting enough extractor tension because of it. The breechface will be marked, you do not have to take it out of the slide to check that. Make sure it is a 9mm.

If you do have a SV slide I do not believe you will find any burrs or rough spots in the extractor tunnel.

You have said that you are using a 38 super breechface and then you said you are using a 9mm breechface. I bet you have a 38 super breechface and are not getting enough extractor tension because of it. The breechface will be marked, you do not have to take it out of the slide to check that. Make sure it is a 9mm.

If you do have a SV slide I do not believe you will find any burrs or rough spots in the extractor tunnel.

Its for 9mm or 38 supercomp, its the SV 9L breechface

I ordered it special that way and have seen the 9L marking.

The 38 super we were talking about is the Aftec extractor that

is supposed to be used with the 9L breechface. They don't

recommend using the rimless aftec with the rimless breechface

because SV move's the extractor hole to begin with.

Jeff

I was reading this thread with great interest after last weekends match. On the classifier drew and starting firing on the right hand side. Stovepipe and then clang, steel falls by itself. Stop, etc. I'm thinking great, reshoot gods are smiling on me. On the reshoot, right side, reload, left side, stovepipe. Ugh, :angry: went to the back up gun.

I put in a lighter recoil spring (8#), and began working on shaping the ejector so my brass would end up in a nice pile. Test fired at the range today, scope off, perfect little pile of brass 7 feet to my right. Scope on, brass went into the same place. :)

Tommorow will be match day, we'll see how it holds up...

Tommorow will be match day, we'll see how it holds up...

Well the verdict is in, 119 round match, one stovepipe on the first stage (a speedshoot no less), on the 5th round in. :( After that it ran perfectly, I had several folks watch where the brass landed and it was consistent. Time to start looking at particular magazines though, 99.15% isn't good enough.