Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to look at used super 1050 for sale-what to look at

So, I have never run a 1050, but own 650s and 550s so I have the idea and can look at the usual wear point.  BUT....  what kinds of issues should I look for on a super 1050 ?  I don't even know what caliber it is in or any other details yet, but figured I had better jump on it quick.... Any thoughts will be appreciated -

Brian

Look for wear on the pawl that indexes the shellplate. It lives under the sheelplate at the rear of the press.

Take a look at the priming system as well.

Look at the handle/linkage/crankshaft mechanism beneath the press and check for play or lack of consistent lubrication.

You want one. I had a 650 for 9 years, sold it, have had a 1050 for two years now. Worth every penny.

Ok - don't hate  me.  Went over to look at the super 1050.  Turns out it was set up for 223. also had the 45 and 9mm conversions, tool heads and powder measures for them, case plates for the case feeder. Everything was pretty much new. 9mm and 45 stuff is also all pretty much still in the boxes.  Includes a bunch of bullets, primers, and brass, tools, parts and a dillon cover.  the machine is pretty much new, the case feed tube does not even look like it ever had cases go down it. the loader WAS dusty, and will need to be cleaned and lubed.  I walked out the door with it for $800.  Figure it was a good deal. So now - what  do I need for it ? 

40 minutes ago, MG08 said:

Ok - don't hate  me.  Went over to look at the super 1050.  Turns out it was set up for 223. also had the 45 and 9mm conversions, tool heads and powder measures for them, case plates for the case feeder. Everything was pretty much new. 9mm and 45 stuff is also all pretty much still in the boxes.  Includes a bunch of bullets, primers, and brass, tools, parts and a dillon cover.  the machine is pretty much new, the case feed tube does not even look like it ever had cases go down it. the loader WAS dusty, and will need to be cleaned and lubed.  I walked out the door with it for $800.  Figure it was a good deal. So now - what  do I need for it ? 

I hate you 

2 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

Good score man!

Must have been Estate liquidation sale? Distressed person in panic? Crackhead looking for a score? LOLOL... Why in the world would someone sell that whole package for $800 LOL 

Probably an estate sale from a deceased reloader.  OP got it cheap.  The widow selling it probably believed the $$$ that the husband told her it cost and sold it for what he claimed.

9 hours ago, MG08 said:

Congratulations.....good score, now buy a MBF and lots of components.

Well, seller advertised it on Craigs list - he got it from an older guy he knows who bought it thinking he wanted to load 223 for his JP target rifle - (this was clearly not a good choice for this) neither one of them knew how to reload, and current owner decided to sell.  He looked up pricing- and I told him what they sell for new.  He was "make an offer" and I was "what do you want for it".  did that for a few minutes then I said "OK- how about $800 ? " and he agreed. told him again it was worth more, but he said it was going to a good home - enjoy it.  I will.   I have picked up several Dillon loaders over the years, got some killer deals.  This is the first 1050 type machine I have been on the spot for. I would feel bad low balling a seller who did not know any better and feel folks need to treat others like they would like to be treated - Karma and all that.   I will probably be selling a 550 and a 650, so will pass on the good deal tot he next owners .

Might be the best deal I've heard of on any Dillon press, great score!

I've been on the lookout for a good deal on a 1050 for a while and barely see them go up for sale at a decent price that warrants buying used over new. Your post gives me hope that there are still deals out there haha.

Last summer I bought two Square deal Bs plus powder, bullets and "stuff" for $300.  Sold one (38spec/357) on ebay for $300.  Sent the other (45ACP) in for a rebuild, they just replaced it for free ( I was going to pay for a rebuild) with a new press.  I keep my eyes open, watch CL, local auctions and other venues, and find really good deals.  Some really over priced too, but I walk if it is not something I can use for a good deal.  The "hunt" is fun, and I end up with more presses than I can really set up at this point.  That is why one 550 ( out of 5 ) and 1 650 ( out of 3) will go on the block this summer after I stock up on the ammo they are used for.