Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage it tool

Can anyone give some feedback on the swage it tool on a Dillon 650 or 750?

Yes, I am aware that it would void Dillons warranty and am ok with that.

My thought was to run a separate tool head with a universal decapping die and the Swage  It for a bulk of brass before reloading instead of picking out the crimped cases prior to reloading.

Edited by Nc1911

2 hours ago, Nc1911 said:

Yes, that’s the one. It looked like an option to swage without another dedicated press at a reasonable cost. I can’t find any feedback from someone that has used one.

Search the forum for "swageit". You will find many threads either about it or mentioning it.

Later,

ChuckS

Edited by ChuckS

I had been using the small primer swager from them for almost a year now. It works. However, the small primer swager doesn’t swage the primer pockets as well as the 1050 swager or 600 from Dillon. There were instances when some of the primer pockets were still tight. 

I concur with the above post.

I have both the SwageIt large and small for my 550 and the Armanov swagger for my 650.

The Armanov is a little better product but neither swagges 223/5.56 pockets effectively.

I’d say about 1/3 of the brass still needs the Dillon super swagger to even have a chance of seating the primer. Another 1/3 the pocket is tight but if you jiggle the brass around you can get a primer to seat. And the last 1/3 will actually take a primer as intended.

Just processed about 8200 pieces of new to me 223/5.56 brass on the 650 with an RCBS Black Small Base die in station 1, RT1500, and Armanov swagger. I think the extra effort it takes on the upstroke to get a half ass swage isn’t worth it. I think next time I’ll just use the Dillon swagger 100%.

Or maybe just get a CP2000....or an 1100...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the previous posters comments.  I will add some of my feedback from my experience with my Swage-it and my xl650.

I use the swage-it with a dedicated toolhead for my 223 brass.  I use a universal decapping die in station one and the RT1500 Trimmer in station 4.  The swage-it is fair to mediocre at best.  Positives:  Somewhat swages the primer pocket on brass.(positive and negative)

Negatives: Screws constantly come loose and needs to be re tightened after 15-20 rounds.  It voids Dillon's warranty, Doesn't swage like a true swager.

The problem with the Swage-it is the brass is only retained by the shell plate, the 650 does not have something to hold the brass down like a 1050. This is because the work table moves up and down on a 650 and on a 1050 the tool head moves up and down.

To swage correctly you need to support the base on the inside at the area the primer pocket is in.

Truthfully that tool is why I purchased a 1050. Didn’t work worth a darn, but it looked good in the 650. 

As others have pointed out there isn’t a backer die like the other “pro” case prep tools/presses, so it really won’t swage the brass that needs it. One just can’t put enough pressure on the case to do a adequate swage with the 650. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, stick said:

I agree with the previous posters comments.  I will add some of my feedback from my experience with my Swage-it and my xl650.

I use the swage-it with a dedicated toolhead for my 223 brass.  I use a universal decapping die in station one and the RT1500 Trimmer in station 4.  The swage-it is fair to mediocre at best.  Positives:  Somewhat swages the primer pocket on brass.(positive and negative)

Negatives: Screws constantly come loose and needs to be re tightened after 15-20 rounds.  It voids Dillon's warranty, Doesn't swage like a true swager.

he has a version 2 now that supposedly fixes the the loose screw issues

The only thing I've found that works for swaging on a progressive press (other than the 1050) is the Hornady swage kit for the Lock N Load. It has a hold-down rod as part of the shell plate and the swage die has some adjustment so swaging can be set to personal preference.

I would imagine it would be pretty easy to have someone fabricate a 650/750 shell plate with the case fingers and use the Hornady dies in the Dillon tool head.

Only thing I don't like is plucking the swaged case out of the press. But some guys are clamping a section of hose onto the output die that runs into a bucket. But even without the hose it goes along pretty well once a rhythm is established. Also I wish Hornady would make a swage kit for pistol. Right now they only offer it for 223 and 308.

Another option that's new to the market but looks like it might have some promise is the Lee App Press. It can be converted to swaging and has a hold-down rod. As per Lee's usual, the press is pretty cheap as is the swager kit. I might pick one up just to mess with.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tokarev said:

The only thing I've found that works for swaging on a progressive press (other than the 1050) is the Hornady swage kit for the Lock N Load. It has a hold-down rod as part of the shell plate and the swage die has some adjustment so swaging can be set to personal preference.

I would imagine it would be pretty easy to have someone fabricate a 650/750 shell plate with the case fingers and use the Hornady dies in the Dillon tool head.

Only thing I don't like is plucking the swaged case out of the press. But some guys are clamping a section of hose onto the output die that runs into a bucket. But even without the hose it goes along pretty well once a rhythm is established. Also I wish Hornady would make a swage kit for pistol. Right now they only offer it for 223 and 308.

Another option that's new to the market but looks like it might have some promise is the Lee App Press. It can be converted to swaging and has a hold-down rod. As per Lee's usual, the press is pretty cheap as is the swager kit. I might pick one up just to mess with.

not my kit or video 

Yeah. I have a video out there of it doing decapping and swaging. It's when I first got it, and did't have the case-feeder on it yet, and was still messing with the shuttle. I have another thread when I publish my times decapping when I got it dialed in. Swaging is at about the 45 sec mark.

10 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah. I have a video out there of it doing decapping and swaging. It's when I first got it, and did't have the case-feeder on it yet, and was still messing with the shuttle. I have another thread when I publish my times decapping when I got it dialed in. Swaging is at about the 45 sec mark.

Have you tried 223 on it?

4 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Slick case feeder. But the bucket mod is genuis. Probably way cheap too!

Its not pretty, or rocket science, but I have less than $5 in the funnel and hose. One less process to handle during swaging. Less is more....lol

Its not pretty, or rocket science, but I have less than $5 in the funnel and hose. One less process to handle during swaging. Less is more....lol
Ideally a guy would poke around on Ebay and find an old used Pro-Jector. Convert that over just to swage and leave the LNL for loading.