Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage it tool

1 minute ago, Tokarev said:

Ideally a guy would poke around on Ebay and find an old used Pro-Jector. Convert that over just to swage and leave the LNL for loading.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

HAAA, funny you mention that... i do have an old Hornady Pro-jecter press all set up and running perfectly. First progressive press i ever bought. I even still have the original cardboard box it came in brand new. I bought it back in the 80`s. That press is dedicated to running my 45acp load. Has a bullet feeder on it as well. It has loaded thousands of rounds, and still runs flawless. I recently switched over the shell plate spring to a 3mm rubber oring because the shell plate retaining spring has not been available for a very long time. The newer LNL AP press uses a 2.5mm diameter shell plate retaining spring. The LNL AP 2.5mm retaining spring does not work in the older Pro-Jector presses. If i ever get around to it, i`ll post some pictures in here of the ole girl. She still looks like a brand new press, even after all these years and thousands upon thousands of rounds later. And, after all the reloading i`ve done on that ole girl, i`ve only had to adjust the pawls twice. I`ll never understand why so many people dog on the LNL AP hornady presses, they work flawless for me, and i have a few of them.

1 hour ago, vince said:

HAAA, funny you mention that... i do have an old Hornady Pro-jecter press all set up and running perfectly. First progressive press i ever bought. I even still have the original cardboard box it came in brand new. I bought it back in the 80`s. That press is dedicated to running my 45acp load. Has a bullet feeder on it as well. It has loaded thousands of rounds, and still runs flawless. I recently switched over the shell plate spring to a 3mm rubber oring because the shell plate retaining spring has not been available for a very long time. The newer LNL AP press uses a 2.5mm diameter shell plate retaining spring. The LNL AP 2.5mm retaining spring does not work in the older Pro-Jector presses. If i ever get around to it, i`ll post some pictures in here of the ole girl. She still looks like a brand new press, even after all these years and thousands upon thousands of rounds later. And, after all the reloading i`ve done on that ole girl, i`ve only had to adjust the pawls twice. I`ll never understand why so many people dog on the LNL AP hornady presses, they work flawless for me, and i have a few of them.

I have a Pro-Jector as well and agree.  They are a darned good old press.  I actually prefer the old priming system over the current one.  It is nice to be able to glance at the primer as it swings across to make sure it isn't upside down or that the primer tube is empty.

With this all said, the LNL is a solid press.  I have one of these as well and have had very little trouble with it.  I don't like the powder measure setup so I use a Dillon or a Lee depending on what I load.

With that said, the whole Hornady series is getting a little long in the tooth in my opinion.  I would like to see Hornady launch an update.  Something with a 6th die station would be nice.  Also something that's designed from the jump to run a case feeder would be nice.  

54 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

I have a Pro-Jector as well and agree.  They are a darned good old press.  I actually prefer the old priming system over the current one.  It is nice to be able to glance at the primer as it swings across to make sure it isn't upside down or that the primer tube is empty.

With this all said, the LNL is a solid press.  I have one of these as well and have had very little trouble with it.  I don't like the powder measure setup so I use a Dillon or a Lee depending on what I load.

With that said, the whole Hornady series is getting a little long in the tooth in my opinion.  I would like to see Hornady launch an update.  Something with a 6th die station would be nice.  Also something that's designed from the jump to run a case feeder would be nice.  

I`ll tell ya buddy, i totally agree, that old Pro-Jector is STILL a wonderful press. That ole girl will be going to the grave with me.

I`ve actually not used the primer feeder much anymore on the ole PJ. I resize/deprime, then the cases go to wet tumble. Then i prime the cases off the loader, its faster.

I started doing this awhile back when i found i couldnt no longer get the small parts (primer arm return spring) from hornady any longer for the pro-jector presses.

Last time i talked with the Hornady`s tech department, the guys told me they now have a new priming system available to update the old pro-jector presses.

I`ve got the part number for it somewhere here. But its just as easy to call their tech line, they have the new primer system right on their computors.

I agree, its time hornady got off the poo pot and did something new, something that would make a huge impact. And YES, a 6 station would be the ticket!!!!!!

They seriously need to update BOTH their case feeding system and the bullet feeding system. That design has been run into the ground in my opinion.

I make them all work good, and i have zero issues, but i know that you an i agree that ALL of it is l-o-n-g overdue and surely out dated.

I do like the design of their 3-die swager for the LNL AP, it works 100%. But there again, the swager does wear, and it will eventually need replacing.

I havent worn one out yet, as they still work, but i can tell that i`ll have to replace the swager itself one day soon. We`ll see what happens if i have to replace it.

I haven't had that many issues with my Swage It tool.

I think the last ammo I made with my 650, I had maybe one primer go in crooked, but I don't if I could blame that on the Swage It.

Next time I am reloading (which will likely be Barnes stamped brass in .300 Blackout.... that had the 3 stab primer crimp) I will play closer attention to my reject rate or hard to prime rate.

There were a few I did by hand with my 25 year old Lee hand primer.  I had no problems.

• 8 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:34 PM, The Donald said:

The problem with the Swage-it is the brass is only retained by the shell plate, the 650 does not have something to hold the brass down like a 1050. This is because the work table moves up and down on a 650 and on a 1050 the tool head moves up and down.

To swage correctly you need to support the base on the inside at the area the primer pocket is in.

I have both the APP and a swage it and neither are working all that great.

I am in the process of setting up a new toolhead for the 750 to process rifle brass with using a RT1500.  I wanted to use the Swageit and avoid using the APP all together.  I have tried both and using either of them is still leaving very tight primer pockets that are difficult to primer leaving a little half moon on the edge as a result.  I am gauging all my primer pockets with a BA go no go gauge too and they pass.

I am thinking of setting up the 750 with the Lee Swage it decapping die on station #1 and then in #2 using the Lee Swage die with the anvil in the toolhead to support the brass and shell plate and have the Swageit mounted below?  My only concern would be to much pressure and over swaging the brass but I would think you could adjust the top die to correct that?  The bottom piece on the Lee APP swage kit has a spring in it to prevent over pressure but with the swageit on the Dillon it would be a solid mount.  The top die from Lee is adjustable for the amount of pressure you can place on the brass.

Just looking for feedback from more experienced reloaders before I try this and screw something up.

2 hours ago, ML123 said:

I have both the APP and a swage it and neither are working all that great.

I am in the process of setting up a new toolhead for the 750 to process rifle brass with using a RT1500.  I wanted to use the Swageit and avoid using the APP all together.  I have tried both and using either of them is still leaving very tight primer pockets that are difficult to primer leaving a little half moon on the edge as a result.  I am gauging all my primer pockets with a BA go no go gauge too and they pass.

I am thinking of setting up the 750 with the Lee Swage it decapping die on station #1 and then in #2 using the Lee Swage die with the anvil in the toolhead to support the brass and shell plate and have the Swageit mounted below?  My only concern would be to much pressure and over swaging the brass but I would think you could adjust the top die to correct that?  The bottom piece on the Lee APP swage kit has a spring in it to prevent over pressure but with the swageit on the Dillon it would be a solid mount.  The top die from Lee is adjustable for the amount of pressure you can place on the brass.

Just looking for feedback from more experienced reloaders before I try this and screw something up.

I have never used a Swage It, but a couple guys on ARFcom use it. One guy says he has excellent results by lubing the primer pockets alone with the rest of the brass when prepping brass.

Thread is getting old, but my experience with Swage It on a 650 is this, not recommended.  It costs a lot and and for less money one can get a real supported swaging tool.

My experience:

Little to no real swaging of primer pockets, large or small. Used on 9mm, 223/5.56 & 30-06 crimp and staked brass.

Stresses shell plate.

Voids warranty of 650.

I would recommend this:

RCBS Tool https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012920663?pid=235832

Super simple single stage swaging too that is both low cost and works. 

I guess I got lucky with the swage it adapter. I have an older one from when they first came out and have prepped 8-10k pieces of brass with it with no issues. I set up a separate tool head for the 650 for brass prep. When loading it’s pretty rare that a primer doesn’t seat correctly. I also have a Super Swage but haven’t used it in quite a few years but don’t see any difference in the results.