Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Super 1050 Experience

Over the last week I loaded 5000 rounds on the Super 1050 with DAA Bullet Feeder.  Even with this combination it was a lot of work.  Here are my takeaways from the experience:

1.  The bullet feeder works almost 100% if you use the Armanov fix with the supplied springs.  I had exactly 1 upside down bullet and no double drops in 5K rounds.  It is the best investment you can make when using a 1050.  Probably even better with a 650/750.

2.  The primer system of the 1050 continues to be an issue for me.  During the 5000 rounds, I had at least 5 crushed primers which caused me to take the system off and start over.  I can't be certain that it's because of upside down primers (I use an RF100) or debris in the primer slot.  I know I get a few upside down primers per thousand, but I have no idea where they are in the tube.  My issue may be that vibration seems to continually loosen the knurled knob on the primer magazine tube.  

3.  The RF100 seemed to like CCI small pistol primers, but it seemed to have more issues this week.  The primers get to the drop point in the correct orientation, but some of them hang up on the blue thingy and drop down into the tube, upside down.  I could live with the percentage of upside down primers, as long as I can be certain it's not causing my crushed primer issues.  It will seat some and maybe all of the upside down primers, which is how I know I'm getting some.

4.  I get a very low percentage of upside down cases when the case gets hung as it's about to drop from the case feeder into the tube.  It doesn't happen often, but it does slow down the process.

5.  .380 cases are a PITA.  Thankfully, all of the ones in my brass are nickel.  If they were brass and there were a bunch of them, I don't know what I would do.

6.  All in all, it was a good learning experience.  In the future, I'm going to try doing 1000 batches again and will try using pickup tubes again.  If this gets rid of the crushed primer hangups, I may get rid of the RF100.  The 650 primer tube, with the brass tip works better than the stock 1050 tube with the blue plastic tip. 

IMG_3402.jpeg

Agreed. The Mr Bulllet for my 650 was in fact one of the best investments I’ve made.

I have that silly little Vibra-prime from Frankford. Love it. I have 10 spare tubes, large and small. I can fill em quick and then I have hangers for them on my case feeder from inline fabrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you do have a weight (45 ACP case) added to the primer "assist rod"?  I had some issues with S&B, but never with either CCI or Win SP, and that's running an autodrive at 1500 or 1800 rounds/hour.

30 minutes ago, RickT said:

I assume you do have a weight (45 ACP case) added to the primer "assist rod"?  I had some issues with S&B, but never with either CCI or Win SP, and that's running an autodrive at 1500 or 1800 rounds/hour.

Yep, 45 case on the rod.  

I have never had a upside down primer in my 1050 yet hope it don’t start lol. But I load my tubes by hand. A couple things I do different is I put a 45acp case on my assist rod and I never tighten the knurled nut just slightly snug. 

Same here. Vibraprime or handpicked, neverhave upside down primers in my 1050 and I have no issues with it priming, its definitely the one thing that never messes up.

If in doubt, pull it and replace the magazine’s feed tip. They wear out before they look worn out.

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

380 cases are a PITA.  Thankfully, all of the ones in my brass are nickel.  If they were brass and there were a bunch of them, I don't know what I would do.

Trace, get a plastic 50 round insert from a box of 45ACP factory ammo, the ones with the square holes work best. Put it in a box, holes up, with your 9mm brass. Pick up handfuls of the 9mm brass and drop / dump it onto the plastic thing. Most of the 9mm brass will drop into the holes, case mouth up. From there, it is really easy to see brass that is either shorter or longer than the 9mm. You could also use a 45 caliber ammo storage box without the top. 

Trace, get a plastic 50 round insert from a box of 45ACP factory ammo, the ones with the square holes work best. Put it in a box, holes up, with your 9mm brass. Pick up handfuls of the 9mm brass and drop / dump it onto the plastic thing. Most of the 9mm brass will drop into the holes, case mouth up. From there, it is really easy to see brass that is either shorter or longer than the 9mm. You could also use a 45 caliber ammo storage box without the top. 

Another option is that set of 3 brass sorting trays. You can get the 380 plate that goes into the largest try. They aren’t cheap, but they last. I’ve used mine weekly for 10 years at least. And they work. I can sort a 5 gallon bucket of mixed brass in about 20-25 minutes.

https://www.shellsorter.com

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

2.  The primer system of the 1050 continues to be an issue for me.  During the 5000 rounds, I had at least 5 crushed primers which caused me to take the system off and start over.  I can't be certain that it's because of upside down primers (I use an RF100) or debris in the primer slot.  I know I get a few upside down primers per thousand, but I have no idea where they are in the tube.  My issue may be that vibration seems to continually loosen the knurled knob on the primer magazine tube.  

3.  The RF100 seemed to like CCI small pistol primers, but it seemed to have more issues this week.  The primers get to the drop point in the correct orientation, but some of them hang up on the blue thingy and drop down into the tube, upside down.  I could live with the percentage of upside down primers, as long as I can be certain it's not causing my crushed primer issues.  It will seat some and maybe all of the upside down primers, which is how I know I'm getting some.

How were the primers crushed? Were they partially in the case and part out? Or did the case not actually deprime (aka primer suck back)? Or what? Different solutions depending on the details.

On the RF100, do you have it isolated from the press? Did you put it on a mouse pad and make sure it's level? You can play with a bit of sandpaper to smooth out the drop spot.

The primers were crushed in the 1050 primer slide thingy.  I don't know what they call it.  Once I feel that happen, the session is stopped until I get it cleared.

The RF100 is on the same 400 pound table and in on two mouse pads.  I tried one for a while, tried another one today, didn't seem to help.  

For the primer rod, I crushed a 148gr HBWC into the 45 case for the extra weight.  The empty 45 case didn't do anything for me.

Also, I'm having better luck with Remingtom primers and second CCI.

Edited by RePete