Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Open Revolver?

Demus319

Has anyone had a custom open revolver for ICORE and Steel Challenge? And who build it for you? Did you have a custom barrel built for it?  I’m starting to look to have one built. Who build your gun? TK, Pinnacle or BC Armory? I have a custom 617 and a limited 929. 

92867053-9312-43A8-A796-D8F5B6741B2B.jpeg

I too have a 617 and 929.  I did the work myself suing Hammers and Springs from Apex Tactical.  Trigger pull on the 929 is 4.5 lbs.  The 617 is just under 7 pounds using the newest Mass Drive Hammer from Apex.  

I did all the internal polishing myself.  

Before I started doing my work Apex built a number of guns for me.  I trust Randy with my guns for ICORE and USPSA.  For the past few years Apex was not doing revolver work but they are getting back into it.  

TK Custom did my full moon conversion on my 29 and I got 20 moons for it.  They also make. what I would call, the best moons for competition.239837897_929WC-morelighteravaatar.jpg.ba498a115c6856532fd9febe10bab150.jpg1809953929_617ApexMassHammer.jpg.b3ef7831c0bbed5f55b76cadcbe52db2.jpg

Apex did a ‘full build’ on my 627 when i bought it. I was very happy with their work.  

Pinnacle went completely through the gun about 2yrs later. Mark improved fit and function throughout. Very impressive. 

Most recently BC Armory replaced the stock barrel with a shroud/Shilen match grade bbl. For no other reason than i just wanted something different. Bruce did a great job. Looks good and very accurate.  

But FWIW if I had to pick one it would be Pinnacle. 

51 minutes ago, Demus319 said:

alecmc is that a carbon wrap barrel?

How do you like the mid port barrel? Is there a difference between the two barrels on feel and recoil? 

Yes, Carbon wrapped barrel. The actual barrel below the wrap it is pretty thin. @MWP probably has some build pics of the barrel pre-wrap. 

The mid-ports I use for ICORE with 130 PF ammo or so, It works pretty decent. I think the weight of the barrel helps keeping the recoil down too. I think if I used a "gassier" powder the ports would work even better, but I have no issue with it as is.

The carbon wrapped barrel gun is very light weight and is used specifically for steel challenge with very light 90PF loads. I wouldnt use it for minor/icore/uspsa.

There a quite a few carbon barrels out running around now. The barrel is .800 and it’s turned down to .555 (leaving .100 wall all the way around) inside to remove as light weight as possible. The final barrels weigh 4-6oz depending on length- roughly 10-11 oz lighter than a factory 929 barrel. Both of my personal carbon 929s, one isr and one osr, weight 37oz dressed. 

There are a lot of people using the carbon guns in icore and USPSA, it’s just a preference if a person prefers a heavy or light gun. 

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

What are you guys using as a red dot mounting plate on your open revolvers?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alchin mount , solid and very low profile. 

2 hours ago, SIGcurious said:

Where are you guys getting the carbon wrapped barrels?

I make them.

Well, I have other people make them.

Carbon guy is somewhat, uh, busy for a while. So they’re kind of getting to be in short supply. 

Thanks for the videos.  Pulling DA straight back that fast is not easy.  I wondered how whippy the light barrel would be but it's flatter than I expected.  

1 hour ago, bcp said:

Thanks for the videos.  Pulling DA straight back that fast is not easy.  I wondered how whippy the light barrel would be but it's flatter than I expected.  

It’s pretty flat, even with 130pf it’s less flip than you would think. The gun weighs about the same as the scandium 8 shots.

Just a disclaimer, tossing on a fancy barrel won't fix bad techniques or poor habits. There is no substitute for practice and training.

Having good grip technique will keep the gun flat at (most) power factors, having custom equipment helps a bit to change the feel of a gun to whatever personal preference you like,  heavier front end, lighter frame, heavier barrel, longer barrel, etc - they'll all have their place for specfic needs. 

That being said, I get my ass kicked with factory-ish guns on the regular. 

Edited by alecmc

38 minutes ago, bcp said:

Interesting.  What is the price range on an Open style revolver?

Depends really, all my guns are 627s as I was heavily invest in the 38 caliber before the 929s even existed. So alot of the modifications I've made to my stock 4"/5" 627s were to basically make what equates to a stock 929 ( titanium cylinder and longer sight radius )

As far as costs, you can probably count on spending $2000-$2800 from the ground up with a new build, depending on how much of the work you can handle yourself. 

Dave O suggested magnaporting my wife's open revo.  Works too as I went through some of her stages frame by frame for some ICORE action shots that Alec was asking for.  I could clearly see the difference when she got her new gun from Dave.  Much flatter.  Cleaning the ports is the main downside, like a big one.

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

Just a disclaimer, tossing on a fancy barrel won't fix bad techniques or poor habits. There is no substitute for practice and training.

Having good grip technique will keep the gun flat at (most) power factors, having custom equipment helps a bit to change the feel of a gun to whatever personal preference you like,  heavier front end, lighter frame, heavier barrel, longer barrel, etc - they'll all have their place for specfic needs. 

That being said, I get my ass kicked with factory-ish guns on the regular. 

This is 100% true. 

Also, when I built my first carbon guns my main goal was to take a lot of strain off a shoulder injury I was nursing: too many hard dry fire draws will do that to you. 

I have built and sold probably close to 30 guns with carbon barrels on them now. People use them from 90pf up to 150pf regularly. I actually just broke 90 seconds for the first time in a match with my open carbon gun. 

“They say” lighter guns move faster. Scientifically that’s correct. But according to the timer, in this sport, with the current level of scores we are seeing today, it’s not enough to make a difference. 

Now if you want a super cool gun that you don’t see every day? You’re starting to speak my language...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:30 AM, revoman said:

I now have on mine 

Alchin 90 degree mount. The lowest one out there 

Would you by chance have a picture of that? Did you have to make any changes to your draw from the holster with the mount hanging off the side?

Thanks