Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For An Accurate 55 Grain Round

chp5

I'm looking for an accurate 55 grain round to shoot out to 300 yards or so out of my 20" AR upper with a 1/12 twist.

Any thoughts on:

* Black Hills 55 grain FMJ reloads.

* GA Arms makes a 55 grain "Precision Plus" with Nosler Balistic Tip.

* Ultramax 55 grain with Nosler Balistic Tip, reloaded

* Any other commercial 55 grain round.

Thanks.

Edited by chp5

I'm looking for an accurate 55 grain round to shoot out to 300 yards or so out of my 20" AR upper with a 1/12 twist.

Any thoughts on:

*  Black Hills 55 grain FMJ reloads.

*  GA Arms makes a 55 grain "Precision Plus" with Nosler Balistic Tip.

* Ultramax 55 grain with Nosler Balistic Tip, reloaded

*  Any other commercial 55 grain round.

Thanks.

all barrels are different, but thanx to benny i tried the ultramax 55 NBT's...they were amazing.

Anything capped with an NBT will be good. Anything with any Boat Tail bullet in it will work well at distance compared to flat base projectiles. Flat base 55grain ball is not as effective at distance because it sheds V faster.

--

Regards,

26.5gr of H335 and a 50 gr NBT or Horn vmax and it should be very accurate. It also depends on if you want to prep your brass, primer pockets and flash holes etc. I know sometimes it is hard to spend so much time on brass prepping with an AR, just for the case to get slung out in the grass, but if you needed a few for accuracy work, you could load up 100 and set them aside for those times when you needed to be more accurate with something.

Be carefull with this load as it is pretty stout, but you should watch a prarie dog explode with it!! :lol:

The add for XM193 should be titled "The day I quit reloading .223" It is all I have shot out of my rifle this year at every match I've attended and it hasn't let me down at all. I have tried 3 different lots and they all are 1/2-3/4 minute of angle out of my limited rifle. like PacMan said

XM193 :D:D KURT

"The add for XM193 should be titled "The day I quit reloading .223" It is all I have shot out of my rifle this year at every match I've attended and it hasn't let me down at all. I have tried 3 different lots and they all are 1/2-3/4 minute of angle out of my limited rifle. like PacMan said

XM193 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif KURT"

This is great advice considering Kurt's improving skill! Now, if you all want great advice just listen to a guy who has either won or nearly one every 3 gun match he has entered!

Hmmmm.... that would be....oh ya KURT!!!!

Got anymore tips for me and my M1A at Nationals??? eh buddy?

Thanks KURT

PK

Where are you guys buying the XM193? Thanks.

Mostly through my local dealer in town since I get the "good guy" deal :) Look around on the 'Net and you'll find them. The availability of XM193 is erratic at best. I used it at this year's SMM3G match and for stage proofing at our RM3G match...I haven't reloaded since the discovery of XM193 :P

BTW, this stuff is 5.56 and loaded to millitary pressure, so if you're running a tight chamber, check it before you buy the wagon load. It runs 3350 fps out of my 20" and 3140 out of my 16"!

My understanding is that XM193PDs are Q-C rejects.

Edited by PacMan

In my Mini 14 Match Chamber, 1 in 8 twist, and 20" barrel, I get 3400 fps from the XM193 ammo. I know, it's not a JP AR but it gives something to go on as far as match chambers go. I've purchaed 2 lots of it and they both made approx 3400 fps.

Vince

Runs just fine in my and my brothers CR02 rifles as well as V.N. Gunfighters, so I guess the JP chamber works just fine. KURT

Mine too. John Gangle probably cringes at the thought of us guys putting millitary ball ammo through the fine JP pipes :lol:

Edited by PacMan