Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird JP at my local shop

Honeybooboo

223 JP at my shop. Looks pretty standard JP but it has a proof research barrel on it. Dude that works there is like yea JP uses them exclusively. I was like ummm but didn’t say anything lol. 

Has a lightweight carrier. Don’t think it has adjustable gas either. Doesn’t even look like it’s been shot, if much at all. 

I’m half tempted to buy it but that barrel gives me hesitation. What do you think? Hard to judge without pics I know but...

might be able to stop by tomorrow and get a pic or two. 

Hang around enough gun shows and you'll hear everything with even so much as one identifiable component on it is an "XYZ gun".   It's really funny when you're with the actual XYZ gunsmith the seller is claiming it to be built by...

Haven't seen Proofs as an option in small frame. You can always request the build sheet which will specify the barrel. Maybe check for a JP laser mark on the barrel as well 😉. I'm not sure if JP did any recent CF SHOT builds but I haven't ever been in the booth to look. @caz41 gets to touch way more of the fun things than I do 😒

The Proof CF's are offered in large frame builds and MR-19's but that is presumably not what we are talking about...

5 hours ago, adamge said:

Given two competing statements, I trust the one from a person in MN over one from a person in CO.

My mistake only large frame apparently, stupid Colorado hippies no clue about these rifles!

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

barrels are only good for 7-10k rounds according to the guy I spoke to. 

That depends on what you expect out of the barrel. PRS guys may claim a barrel trash at 7K. 3 gunners may go 50K or more, depending on intended use. Lots of top shooters use proof. The CF is supposed to help dissipate heat better which extends barrel life. I haven't seen anyone claim a proof barrel is only good for 7K before, I'd like to know what he based that on.

44 minutes ago, OnVacation said:

3 gunners may go 50K or more, depending on intended use. 

Tell me where I can buy a barrel like that. The last two nitride barrels I retired both started keyholing by 12k. I killed a stainless barrel from a well known manufacturer inside 3500 rounds.

46 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Tell me where I can buy a barrel like that. The last two nitride barrels I retired both started keyholing by 12k. I killed a stainless barrel from a well known manufacturer inside 3500 rounds.

I'm probably 5000 into mine with no degradation so far. 3500? That's like..  nothing... maybe 50 is high, I've only shot out a few barrels, and both were in used guns with unknown round counts. (Neither keyholed, they just stopped grouping) 

Maybe I should start appreciating the barrel life in my rifle more...

The 3500 round barrel was strange for sure. Some googlefu turned up similar stories about that particular manufacturer though, so I'm not alone. It started shooting poorly and I was very surprised to find the freebore had grown to about 1 inch. One of the 12k+ nitride barrels was stainless, the other chromoly. Similar lifespans and similar lack of rifling in the first 2 inches of throat when I started seeing sideways bullet holes in paper inside 50 yards.

19 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

The only builder that I know of that offers Proof barrels as a build option is Cobalt Kinetics.  I opted to pass as the barrels are only good for 7-10k rounds according to the guy I spoke to. 

I am still trying to kill a proof ar barrel, already have another upper built and in rotation, but its still grouping way past 10k and thats full on 3gun abuse. I'm sure someone has done it but I take my own advice since I pay for my barrels.