Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gsteve, what the heck am I doing wrong? (with target pictures)

ysrracer

About the only thing left to ask is where are you aiming? are you aiming at the center of the X ring or are you aiming generally at the A zone, as in sights anywhere in the A is fine? looking at the above targets you have a roughly B zone sized group slightly low on a target with nothing but the outline to aim at the center of. Basically if you don't know where you are aiming how can  you judge yourself for not hitting it? 

1 hour ago, revoman said:

If I was you I would go back to sporting clays as your revolver pattern looks like a shotgun pattern. In fact I think 🤔 a shotgun pattern is actually tighter. 

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

• 1 month later...

Offhand, one very easy mistake to make is to look over your sights to either find the target or try and confirm a hole, and it happens in such a way that your brain doesn't notice that your attention moved off the sights at the last hundredth. Do a shot calling drill where you absolutely confirm that your visual focus never left the front sight, you called your shot, and your call was within a couple of inches at 15 yards. If you're getting surprised by results then the first problem is you didn't actually see your sights as the trigger broke.

🤣Every time I miss steel I say the same thing, "just can't understand it, I was LOOKING right at the spot I wanted to hit?" 

I just obviously didn't pay attention to the bump on the front of the barrel!

9 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

🤣Every time I miss steel I say the same thing, "just can't understand it, I was LOOKING right at the spot I wanted to hit?" 

Exactly, it's human to constantly go too fast and screw up, but you have to see that you did it.

2 hours ago, MattInTheHat said:

Exactly, it's human to constantly go too fast and screw up, but you have to see that you did it.

Yep, if I know why I missed i.e. lack of focus, sights in the wrong spot, jerked the trigger, hot brass landing on me, fly up the nose I file it away & work on it later.  Or laugh about it & have a good story to tell!

It's the misses I didn't expect that always upset me.  Those are the few times when I will look really hard for that "double"!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, pskys2 said:

With me I think I am learning that it is a lot easier to watch the front sight than to retain correct alignment of the sights while watching the front sight

The grip should be a firm handshake with the strong hand - get the grip in the holster - then after you marry the weak hand to the grip, slightly relax the strong hand grip, not to the point if you removed the weak hand the gun will drop.  A bit of practice and it will become second nature to you.