Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing the “Old Man Pistol Club” Mentality

3 hours ago, toothandnail said:

Setup your own range run it like you want, I did. here is a pic of most of the "bays"

Lead Farm.jpg

How long ago did you do this?  I have the land to do something similiar in terms of bays.  Do you have this as a privately owned range?  What kind of insurance does this require?  

2 hours ago, ClangClang said:

This is exactly what the Associated Gun Clubs range in Maryland has done. About ~20 different gun clubs across the entire region got together and created a range for members of any of the clubs to use. All the clubs have different "flavors" (one is for members of the local military base, one is for vets, one is a church-centric group, one is a Jewish group, one is action/practical-shooting focused, a couple are shotgun/clay focused, etc). To get a range badge, you need to be a dues-paying member any of the clubs (around $20-$30/year) and then go through the safety orientation, and pay for your range badge (~$185/year).

The range has been around for 75 years and the board has historically been very "fudd" but that is slowly but surely changing because of the exact suggestions made in this thread - dedicated shooters got on the board of directors and drove the change.  After 50 years of boring bench shooting, this past year they finally completed 4 action bays and now host IDPA, outlaw steel, and 2 Gun/3Gun matches.  More info about how they're organized is on their website: https://associatedgunclubs.org

Thanks for the input. This is a different twist in what I was thinking but obviously its working....great!  Formed 75 years ago was probably a better time than starting new in today's world. I had thoughts of something to do with effect of forming a trust (to help shield owners liabilities) that would own the range. Members who would like to be involved would be vetted by a board/committee and they would pay to become a part owner of the trust. They could sell their ownership to another vetted individual.Decisions on club activities ,direction etc. is voted on by all trust owners but there would be an original fundamental by- laws that could not be breached to preserve the original intent. If you add up the many action shooting venues USPSA,IDPA,3Gun,Steel, Cowboy Action,ICORE etc. That is Alot of shooters with similar interests to buy a nice facility whose functions/interests would not be contested from within.

I may be out- a- whack with this concept but if anyone thinks it has merit, especially with legal experience, please chime in. If it's thought to be a bad idea please let me know why. Thanks

One of my favorite quotes "People with guns shouldn't form clubs".

I've seen a lot of it over the years, and it's much worse when they club owns an asset like a range.

You would need to be able to manage the incessant butthurt and politics and homeowners-association-ness of it and make sure one group doesn't take over or take their ball and go home.  Bylaws can always be changed or just plain ignored if they're inconvenient to the powers that be.  It's doable, but tricky.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:39 AM, vgdvc said:

Here's a concept. Has anyone seen a club that is formed and owned by action shooters of all venues. Perhaps something with the concept that it is owned by all the individual members and it would host various events, training classes etc. to help pay for the facility and ongoing expenses. Yes there would be a lot of logistics and legal aspects to it however no longer would shooters who's interest is in action shooting  have to beg,  borrow and plead to possibly use an existing facility for an occasional match. This is an idea I had from several years back and figured I'd pitch it to this thread for thought and criticism.

I'm a member of a club  and from talking to old guys, it sounds like it started up kind of like what you're talking about. It was probably 60+ years ago. They sold bonds, to raise funds. All the people who bought the bonds new they weren't getting the money back, and it was a lot of money for the time. But as founding members those bonds give them life time membership for who ever holds it basically. There are only a a couple of them left, and a few more who's family still use the range but not many. The range now runs it's self, due's pay for everything from the general membership.

I'm sure most private clubs started this way, you could probably get ideas from the old guys at your local club. But times have changed and I'm sure it wont be as simple now. You'll probably need to start with finding some people interested in investing then finding a lawyer. 

4 hours ago, shred said:

One of my favorite quotes "People with guns shouldn't form clubs".

I've seen a lot of it over the years, and it's much worse when they club owns an asset like a range.

You would need to be able to manage the incessant butthurt and politics and homeowners-association-ness of it and make sure one group doesn't take over or take their ball and go home.  Bylaws can always be changed or just plain ignored if they're inconvenient to the powers that be.  It's doable, but tricky.

Check the materials here:

https://rangeservices.nra.org/

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there, lots of in-fighting about what type of gun you enjoy shooting.  I was somehow made President of the Club and the first meeting I stated several points out loud:  We need more members, we need to accept all shooters regardless of what they like to shoot, the world is working on OUTLAWING gun ownership and we need to embrace anyone that wants to fling ammo in a safe fashion, we need to be the answer to any gun question in the community.  There were a few other things.  I am very blunt but they really all understood where I was going.  In my involvement membership went to record levels, classes like Women on Target and Concealed carry were held, tactical and LEO classes,   all generated revenue and all were held in a Professional manner, cash was in the coffers. .  Build your volunteer base as you will need like minded people to assist.  Too many times it becomes a one man band and burnout occurs, or petty dictatorships rule.

The AR15 is an issue with this group, so many will not embrace their ownership and use but they may understand that this is where the gun world is today.  Try to be a unifying voice regardless of how the bastards can get you down.

8 hours ago, dogtired said:

Build your volunteer base as you will need like minded people to assist.  Too many times it becomes a one man band and burnout occurs...

I think that's an important point.

If you have one person (even a board member) who's enabling and driving the more modern shooting activities then things could easily slip backwards if that person leaves.  The old culture is the path of least resistance, so you need multiple people who are interested/active to sustain things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, vgdvc said:

Here's a concept. Has anyone seen a club that is formed and owned by action shooters of all venues. Perhaps something with the concept that it is owned by all the individual members and it would host various events, training classes etc. to help pay for the facility and ongoing expenses. Yes there would be a lot of logistics and legal aspects to it however no longer would shooters who's interest is in action shooting  have to beg,  borrow and plead to possibly use an existing facility for an occasional match. This is an idea I had from several years back and figured I'd pitch it to this thread for thought and criticism.

Yes. I have belonged to private ranges that were not open to the public and ran by action pistol shooters. It was amazing. 

Oh and as someone who tried running their own private range it was an absolute nightmare.

Getting on the BOD is your only way fwd. Then getting allies. Realize this might take years, not months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:57 PM, rowdyb said:

Oh and as someone who tried running their own private range it was an absolute nightmare.

Getting on the BOD is your only way fwd. Then getting allies. Realize this might take years, not months.

I've done it for 8 years now, what kind of problems did you have ?