Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holographic Sight for Astigmatism

Smitty79

I have some red dots on rifles with various levels of success.   I have an astigmatism and all of the 2 MOA dots are a bit of a star, regardless of what my optometrist does.    I've read that holographic sights are much better for astigmatism.   I have an ancient EoTech, and it's definitely better.  It's heavy and has terrible battery life.   I want something better.

I've heard good things about Holosun holographic sights and was thinking of getting an HS510C.    This would go on a defensive AR.   If I like it, I'd get one for my PCC also so that all my sight pictures are the same.

Are there better options?

The Holosun isn't a holographic sight, it's a reflex.  Although I have heard some people with astigmatism say it works well for them anyway.  For Holographic sights you could look at one of the newer EOTechs or the Vortex UH-1.

I've got a reasonably bad astigmatism and a little bit of experience with a few different optic types, so some thoughts:

On 1/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, Southpaw said:

The Holosun isn't a holographic sight, it's a reflex.  Although I have heard some people with astigmatism say it works well for them anyway.  For Holographic sights you could look at one of the newer EOTechs or the Vortex UH-1.

Southpaw is correct. An actual holographic sight uses a laser emitter system to project a virtual image of the reticle that appears to be at a set distance in front of the actual location of the sight; the various and sundry EOTechs and the Vortex UH-1 are the only actual examples of holographic sights currently on the market.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Smitty79 said:

I've read that holographic sights are much better for astigmatism.   I have an ancient EoTech, and it's definitely better.  It's heavy and has terrible battery life.   I want something better.

Unfortunately, while the newer EOTechs and the UH-1 are probably better in terms of weight and battery life than the older models, they're still not going to be as light or have the long battery life as a traditional red dot. They use a more advanced optical system (fricken' laser beams!), so they're always going to be a little clunkier and draw more power.

That said, in my personal experience, not all red dots are created equal, and some of them starburst much worse than others. I've got a Holosun 510 on my PCC, and it's definitely been one of the better ones. But...

On 1/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Smitty79 said:

I have some red dots on rifles with various levels of success.   I have an astigmatism and all of the 2 MOA dots are a bit of a star, regardless of what my optometrist does.

... if you've tried a bunch of different red dots, and they all do that, then you might still have some issues with it. Everyone's eyes are a little different. YMMV.

I've also noticed I tend to have less distortion with bigger dots (e.g., the 4-6 MOA dots popular on Open pistols). The corresponding loss of precision means that you don't see them in rifle optics very often, but that's something else to consider if you're not anticipating doing a lot of long-range shooting.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:24 AM, ABarrow said:

Check out the Vortex Spitfire. It is a prismatic 1x with an etched reticle so it can be used with or without the illumination on.

And as annoying as it can sometimes be to reply with "C" when someone asks if they should use A or B, this probably also bears emphasizing. 1x prismatic optics aren't quite as fast or distortion-free as a red dot or holographic, but the etched reticle does manage to completely side-step any issues with astigmatism. I have first-hand experience with the Spitfire and the Primary Arms Cyclops, and haven't had any issues with either. Both are illuminated - not exactly daylight bright, but enough for low-light use, which I assume is a concern on a home-defense gun.

Im a CO shooter and I also have an astigmatism. I tried several different dots and it didn't make a difference to me, one was just a blury as the next. I sucked it up and sent Brian at Hunters HD gold my prescription. now the dots are just as crisp as can been... zero regrets.    

You should find a better optometrist. Bring your red dot optic in and test different lenses during your exam. You may not get perfect results, but you should be able to get really close. Anything else, other than much more expensive surgery, is just going to be a compromise and not the solution you really want.

• 1 month later...

I have a rather severe astigmatisms and have tried several sights. EOTech holographic sights just seemed to fuzzy for me. I tried a few red dot sights and found the Aimpoint T1 to be workable. However, I’ve settled on prismatic sights. I use the Vortex Spitfire. Another option might be the a Primary Arms  Cyclops, but I have no first hand experience with that one. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:39 PM, Southpaw said:

I have an astigmatism, and

holosuns have been working very well for me

• 3 weeks later...

I have astigmatism and use my noline bifocals with C-More red dots- 8MOA- on 38 super open pistol and 9mm carbine- they work fine and the dot is fairly crisp. Also have same red dot on several Ruger MKIII pistols for bowling pins and steel challenge. As long as I wear my glasses the red dots work fine. Have other red dots- vortex 6 MOA and DPP 7.5 MOA and they are also fairly crisp. I think my glasses do the trick on the red dot.

Discuss this with your optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Edited by verla
additional infro