Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor issues TSO

Lowsc3

Bought a new 40 cal tso about 2 months ago and the first two hundred rounds I had about 5 failures to extract, leaving the spent shell in the chamber and attempting to feed another. I thought maybe it just needed breaking in. I shot another 100 rounds with no issue and after that I went to small local match and another 100 rounds. 

Thinking things were okay I took the TSO to a level two match and out of ten stages I had nothing but issues on 5 or 6 stages. Didn't matter if it was an oem mag and follower or one with graams and a baseplate. 

One of the ro's let me shoot a fresh mag into the burm to test and sure enough it half extracted a case stl left it partly in and tried loading a new one jamming everything up. He mentioned maybe the extractor spring was to weak? Is this a known issue? 

14 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

OP- If your pistol was purchased new, I'd send it back to CZ to figure out what's going on.  It is not normal/typical for a TSO to have extractor issues with a new gun and factory ammo.

I was thinking the same but I also don't want to be down a month with the gun if I can just change the spring or something easy and cheap. 

35 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Not a known issue but easy enough to remedy.  Can take the extractor out in about a minute and change the spring.  I believe there is an extra power spring option available.

I saw there was an extra power spring on cz custom site but it didnt say the TSO specifically. Do you know which would fit? 

Yea, originally just out some white box to break her In and I was excited to wait to get better ammo, I've also tried federal. And most recent at both matches I attended I used precision  delta. 

2 minutes ago, inertia said:

This is very rare for a TS, have you tried more than one type of ammo to ensure its not your load?

1 minute ago, Lowsc3 said:

Yea, originally just out some white box to break her In and I was excited to wait to get better ammo, I've also tried federal. And most recent at both matches I attended I used precision  delta. 

If your saying all of those failed to extract, yes something wrong with your gun. I assume your not over-sprung or something like that, ejection pattern looks good when it runs?

1 minute ago, inertia said:

If your saying all of those failed to extract, yes something wrong with your gun. I assume your not over-sprung or something like that, ejection pattern looks good when it runs?

Didn't pay attention to the ejection pattern, all springs and what not is stock. 

1 minute ago, Tanders said:

I had this exact same problem with a brand new SP-01 Shadow.  The extractor spring was just out of spec.  Swapped it out for a different (factory) spring and the problem went away.

That's what I'm hoping it is.  I'm gonna buy a bunch from czcustom shop they are cheap. Has anyone tired the dpm recoil guide rod btw? 

Common problem. Mine did it. I know two guys who bought theirs at the same time from the same store. Need the extra power extractor spring. Also keep it clean back there before majors. Friend who shoots a Shadow 2 also put it in, despite the warning not too and it is more reliable.

27 minutes ago, yigal said:

maybe the problem in the store. 😀

Lol, I've read of lots of people with .40 TSO's having this issue. It works out of the gate, but after the extractor channel gets dirty it hiccups. I've not had an FTE since replacing the spring 8,000 rounds ago.

we have many of them (TSO) in the club but in 9mm. few of them over 60k  .we use only factory ammo .

if u keep this gun clean and remove dirt from extractor channel every 2k it will work 100%.

best cz  that will ever be.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, Lowsc3 said:

That's what I'm hoping it is.  I'm gonna buy a bunch from czcustom shop they are cheap. Has anyone tired the dpm recoil guide rod btw? 

I had it in my 9mm TSO. I think you can tell a difference. Seemed to shoot a little softer. 

23 hours ago, loaded605 said:

Common problem. Mine did it. I know two guys who bought theirs at the same time from the same store. Need the extra power extractor spring. Also keep it clean back there before majors. Friend who shoots a Shadow 2 also put it in, despite the warning not too and it is more reliable.

Can you possible provide a link for the extra power ? I'm scared to get the wrong one.

4 hours ago, yigal said:

we have many of them (TSO) in the club but in 9mm. few of them over 60k  .we use only factory ammo .

if u keep this gun clean and remove dirt from extractor channel every 2k it will work 100%.

best cz  that will ever be.

I don't mind cleaning the pistol but it should be happening out of the box and having this issues repeat so many times under 500 rounds. 

6 hours ago, loaded605 said:

Lol, I've read of lots of people with .40 TSO's having this issue. It works out of the gate, but after the extractor channel gets dirty it hiccups. I've not had an FTE since replacing the spring 8,000 rounds ago.

That's what Im hoping for! 

On 1/11/2020 at 12:27 PM, Lior said:

My TS40 went back to CZ for this exact reason. Even after deburring the chamber and changing the extractor. I haven't shot Major Power Factor since.

So after it came back from cz it still had the issue? 

14 hours ago, Lior said:

I asked for a niner instead. No problems except reduced points in stages.

Gotcha, well my springs arrive today I'll get it installed and try going to the range after work to test. I'll keep everyone posted

I can happily report after replacement of the extra strength extractor spring, I went out to the range and put 100 rounds with no issues whatsoever. I'll be doing a local uspsa match tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...