Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mighty Armory dies?

chgofirefighter

20 minutes ago, Bjay said:

Pretty interesting almost no bulge on loaded ammos from mighty..not enough tension? Or they're that good

By 'bulge' do you actually mean things like the coke bottle shape that comes from using the grossly undersized dies?

In terms of actually dealing with the worst of the "bulges" from unsupported barrels, there's only so far the dies can get down the case. So if you (need to) care about those you'll still want to e.g., roll size your brass.

Given the variability of various headstamps and projectiles, there have been some issues with the MA sizing dies not creating enough neck tension.  Their newer TNT (tighter neck tension) dies take care of that.

Whether or not the price is worth it to you is up to you.

1 hour ago, candiru said:

By 'bulge' do you actually mean things like the coke bottle shape that comes from using the grossly undersized dies?

In terms of actually dealing with the worst of the "bulges" from unsupported barrels, there's only so far the dies can get down the case. So if you (need to) care about those you'll still want to e.g., roll size your brass.

Given the variability of various headstamps and projectiles, there have been some issues with the MA sizing dies not creating enough neck tension.  Their newer TNT (tighter neck tension) dies take care of that.

Whether or not the price is worth it to you is up to you.

Yes, the bottle shape causing by off spec sizing die..bulge on base lee already solved that

2 hours ago, Bjay said:

Yes, the bottle shape causing by off spec sizing die..bulge on base lee already solved that

All my ammo is "coke bottled" because I use Dillon dies. It provides excellent neck tension and I get less than 1% failure rate using a hundo. MA dies are no better (possibly worse?) than any other die, they're a waste of money in my opinion. I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

4 hours ago, Bjay said:

Pretty interesting almost no bulge on loaded ammos from mighty..not enough tension? Or they're that good

Never used the Mighty because of price point.

Dillon, Hornady, Lee all work very well in 9 MM. 

Both the Dillon and the Lee resize and end up with a greater "taper" and therefore "coke bottle" look. For 9 MM I like the Dillon over the Lee and in 45 ACP the Lee over the Dillon because it sizes further down the cartridge.

But the question is "worth?" If people perceive it (mighty) fills their needs, then I guess it's worth it to them.

After tens of thousands of very successful rounds I would personally not spend more than Dillon or Lee for sizing dies in 9MM.

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Never used the Mighty because of price point.

Dillon, Hornady, Lee all work very well in 9 MM. 

Both the Dillon and the Lee resize and end up with a greater "taper" and therefore "coke bottle" look. For 9 MM I like the Dillon over the Lee and in 45 ACP the Lee over the Dillon because it sizes further down the cartridge.

But the question is "worth?" If people perceive it (mighty) fills their needs, then I guess it's worth it to them.

After tens of thousands of very successful rounds I would personally not spend more than Dillon or Lee for sizing dies in 9MM.

Maybe everyone is talking those first gen MA this is now gen3 and revised bores..looking for someone who tried gen3?

44 minutes ago, Bjay said:

Maybe everyone is talking those first gen MA this is now gen3 and revised bores..looking for someone who tried gen3?

I noted that already above.

Let me ask you from a different perspective...  What specific problem(s) are you experiencing with your current setup?

42 minutes ago, candiru said:

I noted that already above.

Let me ask you from a different perspective...  What specific problem(s) are you experiencing with your current setup?

Not an issues l,more like a preferences.

A healthy factory looking loaded round..not coke bottle looking un proportional round :)

There was already a thread on MA sizers. It is on page 4.

I have a 9mm and 223 sizer and retired them because they scratch my brass. The tension my 9mm die produces is fine when compared to other brands I have but the scratching drove me nuts. I can polish the die every few hundred cases but the scratches worsen as brass builds up inside the die. I can clearly follow this process with my borescope. I'll see if I can amuse you guys with some borescope pics when I have time.

Yes, I clean and lube my cases (with Dillon spray on lube or Imperial/Redding sizing wax).

In my humble opinion there is nothing special about these dies. I purchased them during the first half of 2019 so I can't comment on the current production but personally I lost interest. There are some bold claims made about these dies but I have not seen the real life evidence. But maybe I'm jinxed....

The decapping die (which was MA's first product I believe) on the other hand is excellent.

Edited by RGA

8 hours ago, Bjay said:

Not an issues l,more like a preferences.

A healthy factory looking loaded round..not coke bottle looking un proportional round :)

Focus on function not looks.

I think your mind is made up already, with that said I wish you all the best. 

3 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Focus on function not looks.

I think your mind is made up already, with that said I wish you all the best. 

Not really.I loaded a 100 last night 3diff headstamp..

Ive used both standard lee carbide and the other lee undersize...ive noticed on thinner brass the standard die felt like not giving enough neck tension.

Although it does makes a loaded round nice no coke bottle shape..then tried undersize one same headstamp brass and measure before and after loading bullets.brass expanded 6-7 thousand.which my prefer neck tension. 

I think having 2 diff type of dies is great for us who picked or used mixed head stamp..still cheaper having both vs a 100.00 one size die..the option for diff thickness brass with 2 diff bore size dies is nice :)

Edited by Bjay

There was already a thread on MA sizers. It is on page 4.

I have a 9mm and 223 sizer and retired them because they scratch my brass. The tension my 9mm die produces is fine when compared to other brands I have but the scratching drove me nuts. I can polish the die every few hundred cases but the scratches worsen as brass builds up inside the die. I can clearly follow this process with my borescope. I'll see if I can amuse you guys with some borescope pics when I have time.

The decapping die (which was MA's first product I believe) on the other hand is excellent.

Decapping with the flicker spring has been literally perfect for me for many thousands of rounds. That’s why I bought them.

What’s the cause of the scratching? I thought they used really well heat treated hard steel?

1 hour ago, candiru said:

Decapping with the flicker spring has been literally perfect for me for many thousands of rounds. That’s why I bought them.

What’s the cause of the scratching? I thought they used really well heat treated hard steel?

MA said the gen3 is diff steel,processing and heat treating?....

I’m running their dies in 9 and 40, I had to send by 40 die back because it had pulled brass and was leaving scratches on the brass. They wound up replacing it since they had just put out their new heat treating version. The 9 die on the other hand I haven’t had any issues with over approximately 6-7k loaded and I use a Lee factory crimp die and have had no issues with neck tension. And I’d l say if you are having neck tension issues you should probably check to see that you have the die set up correctly or make sure you’re not flaring too much. I’ll second the recommendation on their decapping die, it’s hell for stout and really easy to set up, I also run their swage back up die and it has been stellar as well. The price is steep though, tough to justify paying the same price for one of their sizing does what you would on a Full set of premium dies 

Edited by Akkid17

I’m running their dies in 9 and 40, I had to send by 40 die back because it had pulled brass and was leaving scratches on the brass. They wound up replacing it since they had just put out their new heat treating version.
And I’d l say if you are having neck tension issues you should probably check to see that you have the die set up correctly or make sure you’re not flaring too much. 

I have scratches from their current dies. Are you sure that the one you have solved that for you?

Flaring doesn’t have anything to do with neck tension unless you’re going crazy amount too deep. It’s the bore diameter of the sizing die that they made not tight enough.