Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No More Masterblasters Bullets

splashdown

Hey guys. I'm still pretty new to reloading and Tom (masterblasters) got me pretty confident to start shooting and loading .40 cal. Now he's closing up shop and out of stock of most everything.

Yes I've done a search here and found a dozen or more bullet mfrs that people like, but there's not one that really stands out. I don't want the expense of jacketed, and I've never shot cast lead.

I'd like some suggestions for what I should buy next when my current supply runs out.

I also bought the Ramshot Competition powder from Tom and, while that won't run out any time soon, I'd like to know what you guys recommend that is similar to it. I hear VV320 is good, but too spendy for me.

BTW, I shoot production div exclusively, so I'm talking minor loads in the 140 pf range.

splashdown

Edited by splashdown

Hey guys.  I'm still pretty new to reloading and Tom (masterblasters) got me pretty confident to start shooting and loading .40 cal.  Now he's closing up shop and out of stock of most everything. 

I'd like some suggestions for what I should buy next when my current supply runs out.

BTW, I shoot production div exclusively, so I'm talking minor loads in the 140 pf range.

splashdown

Hi Larry...I could tell you what I'm doing...but what I'm doing really won't help you out much. I'm switching to Rainier TMJ's for match ammo and will be switching to a lubed lead bullet for practice.

Hey guys.  I'm still pretty new to reloading and Tom (masterblasters) got me pretty confident to start shooting and loading .40 cal.  Now he's closing up shop and out of stock of most everything. 

splashdown

Consider using Precision Bullets. They are also a 'black' bullet that is moly coated. I have shot both MB and precisions and found them to be real close in performance.

FWIW

dj

That's too bad about the masterblaster bullets. I just switched to the Precision Bullets in .40. ($139/2500) I also just started using Ramshot Competition. Hopefully it will yield good results for minor loads. The lowest I went was 4.3g at 165 PF. As a guess, maybe start at 3.3g and see what happens. Do you have the CED at least 10' away from you indoors. I got a lot of 500fps results the other day and I moved it out another 2 feet and it worked great for the rest of the day.

Good luck

splashdown

Consider using Precision Bullets. They are also a 'black' bullet that is moly coated. I have shot both MB and precisions and found them to be real close in performance.

FWIW

dj

The best. Absolutely. IMHO

Try these guys.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/

If Masterblaster was actually Star they have the Star machinery.

I understood that star on the north side of indy to be looking for a buyer, and had a very low supply. I always bought their "seconds" 230 fmj for reloading, last time I called them was in may, have things changed? their seconds always worked very well, the target did'nt care if it was a "pretty bullet" or not

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look again at Precision, Zero, and Billy. Still, to save money, I wonder if I should be using plain old cast lead. Since I'm shooting minor pf, should I be worried about leading the barrel?

mike, my production load is the MB 180gr bullet over 3.4 gr Competition powder. I assume it to be in the 145 pf range. I have chronoed loads with other powder charges, but not this exact one. Haven't had a chance yet. I may test a 3.3 gr charge someday when I get a chance to chrono again.

splashdown

PS: I found someone on here recommend Kead Bullets. Anyone have experience with them? Price looks right.

Edited by splashdown

PS: I found someone on here recommend Kead Bullets.  Anyone have experience with them?  Price looks right.

those are probably the bullets I'm going to switch to for PRACTICE ammo. Before you decide on going with a lubed bullet for match ammo...I would seriously consider running some of them and see if you're OK with the smoke you will get. I shot lubed bullets for quite some time and they were really smoky....then I switched to MasterBlaster bullets and the smoke was about a 1/3 of lubed lead....when I switched to Rainier, I've getting almost no smoke.

It's really nice shooting with NO smoke. ;)

PS: I found someone on here recommend Kead Bullets.  Anyone have experience with them?  Price looks right.

KEAD bullets are a high quality hard cast lead, with Thompson lube..... very high quality cast lead product. He's pretty big in the Dallas area, but does do some internet sales as well..... if you want to shoot regular hard cast lead, its hard to beat Geroge Miller for the quality, or the price.

Of course, I might be biased, hes' my father inlaw :P

I understood that star on the north side of indy to be looking for a buyer, and had a very low supply. I always bought their "seconds" 230 fmj for reloading, last time I called them was in may, have things changed? their seconds always worked very well, the target did'nt care if it was a "pretty bullet" or not

Unfortunately Star is no more and their machinery and some stock were bought by http://www.precisiondelta.com/

Too bad as I bought a ton of bullets there over the years.

Unfortunately Star is no more and their machinery and some stock were bought by http://www.precisiondelta.com/

The owner (of Star) told me that PD bought some of their equipment, not all of it. Did PD end up buying the rest of it?

The owner (of Star) told me that PD bought some of their equipment, not all of it. Did PD end up buying the rest of it?

Star is currently making .38 148 gr wc .45 185gr lswchp and in the near future will start production of .45 185JHP and .45 230fmj.

Tom

• 1 month later...

For those that are interested, Masterblasters is back in business! I saw Tom at the match today and he said he moved his shop and getting ready to fire up the machines again. I just bought another 2250 180gr .40s off him today. These are great bullets and I'm glad he's back in the game. Check them out at www.masterblastersbullets.com