Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

6 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

(too high of a grip) What's that ??????  i am far from an expert that said i have taken classes ( i need them) from some of the best instructors in the country. and shot or watched some of the best shooters in the country . I have never heard one of then ever say your grip is to high! Just saying

The only thing I can say is it I do grip my shadow very high and that's where my muscle memory has me. With the DWX the slide will ride across the top of my strong hand thumb (it doesn't bite me, I've never bled), but there's enough friction that I'll slow the slide enough to cause a malfunction. I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, I'd say before I switched to LO I was a mid pack A shooter in CO with some decent competition... 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ColoradoNick said:

The only thing I can say is it I do grip my shadow very high and that's where my muscle memory has me. With the DWX the slide will ride across the top of my strong hand thumb (it doesn't bite me, I've never bled), but there's enough friction that I'll slow the slide enough to cause a malfunction. I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, I'd say before I switched to LO I was a mid pack A shooter in CO with some decent competition... 

not if its on the safety 

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I think the problem arises when you have never shot caring or using safeties then have to manage them.  I only fired striker fired guns before moving to the 2011 platform.  I actually never thought I would be running 2011s so I never really gave it much thought.  

Definitely comes into play I think, I was always a plastic gun guy before moving to the shadow 2 and then DWX. Part of the allure of the DWX is I assumed the transition would be easy considering I was already very comfortable with the shadow. 

4 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

not if its on the safety 

For sure, thumb on the safety, I can grip the DWX high enough where the large knuckle contacts the bottom of the slide as it cycles. I'll snap a photo when I get home from work on Thursday if I can remember. It's 100% my fault, it only happens when drawing but it's where my hand naturally wants to settle. 

here’s a crappy image that shows my grip on a stage last week. IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.0532b555ef9d0ae2a77b009aa1b6836c.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoNick

Just now, ColoradoNick said:

For sure, thumb on the safety, I can grip the DWX high enough where the large knuckle contacts the bottom of the slide as it cycles. 

Brother just trust the proses. this not an advice from forum member but millions of round and over a hundred years that others have put through this type of a platform

3 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

Brother just trust the proses. this not an advice from forum member but millions of round and over a hundred years that others have put through this type of a platform

I can definitely get through it, it’s more trying to understand the why behind what’s happening. Shooting a Staccato P, Atlas Titan, and Athena don’t produce the same issue with slide rub. The only thing I can think of is the bore seems even lower on the DWX compared to the Shadow 2 and/or grip angle.

I'm a long time lurker, but just joined recently and thought I'd make by first post by passing on a little bit of information if you're still on the hunt for a Dan Wesson DWX full size.

I know by now most people who want a DWX have either gotten one, or if you haven't you might be waiting for the price to come down. 

I already have a full size and a compact DWX so I'm no longer in the market and can't use it, but I just got a 'back in stock' email about the DWX full size at a great price so I'm passing it along just in case someone is still looking.  It's the best price I've seen for the DWX and it's from a company that I've purchased from before and they are good to go. 

Hope this helps someone:  https://www.kygunco.com/product/dan-wesson-92001-dwx-9mm-light-rail-red-grips-red-trigger-19rd?utm_source=Ecommerce&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=NotifyMe

11 hours ago, rlbuzz said:

I'm a long time lurker, but just joined recently and thought I'd make by first post by passing on a little bit of information if you're still on the hunt for a Dan Wesson DWX full size.

I know by now most people who want a DWX have either gotten one, or if you haven't you might be waiting for the price to come down. 

I already have a full size and a compact DWX so I'm no longer in the market and can't use it, but I just got a 'back in stock' email about the DWX full size at a great price so I'm passing it along just in case someone is still looking.  It's the best price I've seen for the DWX and it's from a company that I've purchased from before and they are good to go. 

Hope this helps someone:  https://www.kygunco.com/product/dan-wesson-92001-dwx-9mm-light-rail-red-grips-red-trigger-19rd?utm_source=Ecommerce&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=NotifyMe

was pleasantly surprised that GB has 2 pages of both full size and compact 

2 hours ago, 1911vm said:

was pleasantly surprised that GB has 2 pages of both full size and compact 

It looks like DW is finally beginning to catch up with demand.  Good, maybe now they can start making the effort to get the optic ready version out.

The reason Gunbroker has so many offered, IMO, is because of their prices. That's why whenever possible I try to avoid them. Places like the retailer that I linked to that offer good prices, no CC fees, free shipping and no sales tax either will always be my first place to buy a new firearm. 

Anyone else use the Lok Grips T20 screws for the grips? I just found up those are the wrong ones to use. I ended up using them as they hand threaded in fine and was able to tighten them down. Someone said the 1911 screws from Lok Grips will work better but not sure if I already messed up the threads or not.

6 hours ago, lmaobaka said:

Anyone else use the Lok Grips T20 screws for the grips? I just found up those are the wrong ones to use. I ended up using them as they hand threaded in fine and was able to tighten them down. Someone said the 1911 screws from Lok Grips will work better but not sure if I already messed up the threads or not.

Check out my post on reddit. https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/13cxbw1/details_on_replacing_dwx_grips/

The good news is that the M3.5x0.5 screws you used are pretty close in thread pitch and slightly undersized so as long as you didn't strip the threads on the frame, they are probably still fine. 

Finally, Lok posted on their IG a while back that they are getting/making Torx, Countersunk, 0.150"-50 tpi screws specifically for the DWX. 

Edited by Toggleme

2 hours ago, Toggleme said:

Check out my post on reddit. https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/13cxbw1/details_on_replacing_dwx_grips/

The good news is that the M3.5x0.5 screws you used are pretty close in thread pitch and slightly undersized so as long as you didn't strip the threads on the frame, they are probably still fine. 

Finally, Lok posted on their IG a while back that they are getting/making Torx, Countersunk, 0.150"-50 tpi screws specifically for the DWX. 

Thank you for that info. I wouldn't have known cause both CZ screws and Lok screws threaded in with no issue. Is it best to check visually or is there another method to check for stripped threads?

I wonder when the DWX specific screws will come out.

1 hour ago, lmaobaka said:

Thank you for that info. I wouldn't have known cause both CZ screws and Lok screws threaded in with no issue. Is it best to check visually or is there another method to check for stripped threads?

If your original DWX screws fit in there, you are good to go. You can try threading them in 3~ turns and wiggle them around. I can't tell what is "acceptable" but there should be relatively little play. Try the same with the M3's and you will see how sloppy the fit is with the wrong screw. (Note, dont force in the M3s, they will work for a couple threads then likely get jammed). 

13 hours ago, Toggleme said:

If your original DWX screws fit in there, you are good to go. You can try threading them in 3~ turns and wiggle them around. I can't tell what is "acceptable" but there should be relatively little play. Try the same with the M3's and you will see how sloppy the fit is with the wrong screw. (Note, dont force in the M3s, they will work for a couple threads then likely get jammed). 

I see the sloppy play in the M3s now. I visually checked the threads and seems to look fine but I'll get another pair of eyes on it to confirm. I will just revert back to the OE red grips for now until Lok comes out with the proper screws.

32 minutes ago, lmaobaka said:

I see the sloppy play in the M3s now. I visually checked the threads and seems to look fine but I'll get another pair of eyes on it to confirm. I will just revert back to the OE red grips for now until Lok comes out with the proper screws.

On page four of the accessories page on the LOK grip website there are some screws I believe will work. They are “1911 T20 Torx head screws” with a bevel head  and o-rings. I believe they have the 1911 threads that are used on the DWX not the metric threads on the Shadow’s. 

It would be worth a call before ordering to verify if they will in fact work on the DWX. 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, Toggleme said:

I think the threads a slightly stripped... really bummed out about that lol

19 hours ago, stater61 said:

On page four of the accessories page on the LOK grip website there are some screws I believe will work. They are “1911 T20 Torx head screws” with a bevel head  and o-rings. I believe they have the 1911 threads that are used on the DWX not the metric threads on the Shadow’s. 

It would be worth a call before ordering to verify if they will in fact work on the DWX. 

@Toggleme shared that Lok Grips is making DWX specific screws right now. I believe they should be out around late Oct/early Nov

On 9/7/2023 at 2:07 AM, stater61 said:

That sure seems like what they mentioned on their IG. 

On 8/31/2023 at 1:26 PM, Stefan77 said:

How hard was the install?  Was it the EGW 1911 trigger pull kit?

Just installed the agw perfect match. This is basically a matched egw set. 

Honestly, the hardest part is getting the safety off. Start with the left side and the safety needs to be between safe and fire. Just needs a steady pull but be careful not to lose the detent. 

If you're hesitant about the assembly and disassembly, take a lot of photos as you go. 

28 minutes ago, Toggleme said:

That sure seems like what they mentioned on their IG. 

I called them today to find out for sure but I called about an hour too late to get a response. I did send an email with that question. Hopefully I get an answer in the first part of the week.