Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

On 8/18/2023 at 2:19 PM, benlineberry said:

UPDATE

I received my slide back from Primary Machine and couldn't be happier. Excellent work and didn't refinish the slide.

image.thumb.jpeg.e7d4e58ef1edaf5720b4637a0598360b.jpeg

Can you comment on this area? Any pinching? Can you take a close-up to show just how much of a gap it has?

Also, do the Lok short grips fit or did you need to get the long ones & trim them? Thanks. 

Screenshot_20230827_145550_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, moose97 said:

Can you comment on this area? Any pinching? Can you take a close-up to show just how much of a gap it has?

I have the same set up on my DWX but in Aluminum. I have not noticed any pinching in that area at all. the width of the grip vs the mag well also has a mismatch, but I dont have massive bear hands that contact down there. 

9ERjlFQ.jpg

Edited by Toggleme

1 hour ago, Toggleme said:

I have the same set up on my DWX but in Aluminum. I have not noticed any pinching in that area at all. the width of the grip vs the mag well also has a mismatch, but I dont have massive bear hands that contact down there. 

9ERjlFQ.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't like that at all. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for someone to come out with a DWX specific magwell. 

1 minute ago, moose97 said:

I'm sorry, but I don't like that at all. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for someone to come out with a DWX specific magwell. 

CZC is working on one. 

On 8/17/2023 at 12:27 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Has anyone ordered a safety from the dan wesson site? Im guessing its both sides? The image is only the right. 

in regards to the trigger, it looks like the ones you can order from them have the tabs on the bow to adjust pretravel. The trigger bow that came in my gun doesn’t have these adjustment tabs… kinda weird?

Single side only, if you haven't already found out. 

4 minutes ago, mynamejeff said:

This is beautiful! What grips are those? The profile looks interesting, how do they compare to the stock grips?

Thank you. These are the Patriot Defense CZ75 brass palm swell grips. They really fill out your hand much better than the stock ones which are pretty thin. They are also very grippy and you can get them in a couple different options if you don’t want them as aggressive.

Anyone else that’s competing with this gun having issues with your grip? I’ve shot a half a dozen matches with it now and I don’t think I’ve finished one without either inadvertently flipping on the safety with my support hand or the slide riding my strong hand thumb hard enough to induce a malfunction. I’m going to go back to competing with my Shadow 2 with a magwell in LO. 

It’s 100% my grip on the draw, it’s hard to reproduce in dry fire as well. I’ve messed with holster angles, etc. a ton. Super irritating!

Edited by ColoradoNick

46 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Anyone else that’s competing with this gun having issues with your grip? I’ve shot a half a dozen matches with it now and I don’t think I’ve finished one without either inadvertently flipping on the safety with my support hand or the slide riding my strong hand thumb hard enough to induce a malfunction. I’m going to go back to competing with my Shadow 2 with a magwell in LO. 

It’s 100% my grip on the draw, it’s hard to reproduce in dry fire as well. I’ve messed with holster angles, etc. a ton. Super irritating!

Its defiantly the gun, total garbage .  There is absolutely nothing wrong with your grip. I will take that stupid gun of your hands. no reason at all for you to suffer. Please PM me with a stupid, garbage  gun price.😎

7 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

Its defiantly the gun, total garbage .  There is absolutely nothing wrong with your grip. I will take that stupid gun of your hands. no reason at all for you to suffer. Please PM me with a stupid, garbage  gun price.😎

🤣🤣🤣🤣 im hanging onto it for now until something catches my eye…

42 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 im hanging onto it for now until something catches my eye…

I got A  Hi-Point C9. It will take your breath away  and I will throe in 2 mags with it . No specific grip required.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

sounds like a good deal to me what do you think?! 🤣🤣🤣

Hi-Point C9 for a DWX.....

Sounds like a trade made in heaven.

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

It just takes time on the platform.  I had the same issue when switching to a 2011.  I will say the extended shielded safety did speed up the curve.  I think you said no one makes an extended shielded safety for that gun, which I find weird.   Maybe call CZ customs or Cajun Gun Works to see if they have something in the works.  

27 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Hi-Point C9 for a DWX.....

Sounds like a trade made in heaven.

It just takes time on the platform.  I had the same issue when switching to a 2011.  I will say the extended shielded safety did speed up the curve.  I think you said no one makes an extended shielded safety for that gun, which I find weird.   Maybe call CZ customs or Cajun Gun Works to see if they have something in the works.  

No dice on the safety from both of them. 😬 Maybe I'll come back to it over the winter. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

so  since you are not taking me up on a deal of a century. I have a real solution for you .  I leaned on 1911 than tried all other guns. and now shoot them all the same.  That strong hand thumb must be siting on the safety the whole time. you will never activate it. your thumb never comes of it unless you are consciously activating the safety or maybe a reload. 

2 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

so  since you are not taking me up on a deal of a century. I have a real solution for you .  I leaned on 1911 than tried all other guns. and now shoot them all the same.  That strong hand thumb must be siting on the safety the whole time. you will never activate it. your thumb never comes of it unless you are consciously activating the safety or maybe a reload. 

Yep. 110% correct. 

Yes, we understand that, but our monkey hands are not smart enough to do this in every situation.  It took me a while, and on occasion I still will somehow bump the safety.  Happened to me the other day where I bumped the gun on the edge of the wall I somehow moved my monkey thumb to under the safety and no bang bang at the next array.  

@ColoradoNick I use winter dry fire to fix a bunch of issues or test new theories as well.  It works pretty good.  

Good luck.

14 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Yes, we understand that, but our monkey hands are not smart enough to do this in every situation.  It took me a while, and on occasion I still will somehow bump the safety.  Happened to me the other day where I bumped the gun on the edge of the wall I somehow moved my monkey thumb to under the safety and no bang bang at the next array.  

@ColoradoNick I use winter dry fire to fix a bunch of issues or test new theories as well.  It works pretty good.  

Good luck.

it is not a new theory that is how you shoot a 1911 since banana wars .  and DWX is basically a 1911 with a different  frame shape as far as shooting mechanics are concerned. I have a SA shadow 1 I shoot it the same way, my DASA shadow 1 the same. but honestly if you get to used to do this every platform will work. excerpt maybe ass backwards  berretta were you flip decocker up.  hahaha

16 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

it is not a new theory that is how you shoot a 1911 since banana wars .  and DWX is basically a 1911 with a different  frame shape as far as shooting mechanics are concerned. I have a SA shadow 1 I shoot it the same way, my DASA shadow 1 the same. but honestly if you get to used to do this every platform will work. excerpt maybe ass backwards  berretta were you flip decocker up.  hahaha

I’m most comfortable with the shadow 2 platform with large safeties. No issues there at all and I subconsciously ride the safety. I think the safety is forward more than on the 1911/2011 design that it feels more natural. What’s really weird is how my strong hand thumb (too high of a grip) slows the slide enough to not chamber a new round/cause a malfunction. This has happened a half a dozen times in matches, and not once with the shadow 2.

Edited by ColoradoNick

I think the problem arises when you have never shot caring or using safeties then have to manage them.  I only fired striker fired guns before moving to the 2011 platform.  I actually never thought I would be running 2011s so I never really gave it much thought.  

9 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

I’m most comfortable with the shadow 2 platform with large safeties. No issues there at all and I subconsciously ride the safety. I think the safety is forward more than on the 1911/2011 design that it feels more natural. What’s really weird is how my strong hand thumb (too high of a grip) slows the slide enough to not chamber a new round/cause a malfunction. This has happened a half a dozen times in matches, and not once with the shadow 2.

(too high of a grip) What's that ??????  i am far from an expert that said i have taken classes ( i need them) from some of the best instructors in the country. and shot or watched some of the best shooters in the country . I have never heard one of then ever say your grip is to high! Just saying

Edited by 1911vm