Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trigger guard does look a lot more like a S2 but with a light bearing holster the kydex would never touch the trigger guard. My main concern would be if the top of the slide would be too tall for a light bearing holster made for a S2.

5 hours ago, Nobody909 said:

Who do yall recommend for getting the DWX milled for an SRO? Also, what kind of holster cross compatibly does it have? 

I'm sending mine to Primary Machine for optics cut, their work is outstanding!  I've asked them to do something about removing the front sight slot, they said they could come up with something cool. 

Red Hill Tactical is my go-to for holsters - have 3 now I think, all excellent. 

I am having trouble getting 147 grain blue bullets to run in the DWX.  I was loading them at 1.135 oal and was having trouble with extraction after shooting a couple of hundred rounds.  When I took the barrel out and but a loaded bullet (clean barrel) it did not want to fall out.  I had to take oal down to 1.100 to get it to fall out consistently.  I reduced the powder charge to from 3.1 of Tight Group at 1.135 Power Factor 138 to 2.9 in the 1.100.  The Power Factor is 134 now but  recoil is  extremely hard.  I believe this is due to compressing the load.  What would you suggest?  Different powder, bullet weight ?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Pitt Bull said:

I am having trouble getting 147 grain blue bullets to run in the DWX.  I was loading them at 1.135 oal and was having trouble with extraction after shooting a couple of hundred rounds.  When I took the barrel out and but a loaded bullet (clean barrel) it did not want to fall out.  I had to take oal down to 1.100 to get it to fall out consistently.  I reduced the powder charge to from 3.1 of Tight Group at 1.135 Power Factor 138 to 2.9 in the 1.100.  The Power Factor is 134 now but  recoil is  extremely hard.  I believe this is due to compressing the load.  What would you suggest?  Different powder, bullet weight ?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To answering your question IMO those bullets suck. The shape is pretty hard to deal with in CZ’s. Switch to something with a flat nose or send the barrel to be reamed. My DWX plunk tested to 1.15 with acme 147 FN’s. 

21 hours ago, Pitt Bull said:

CZ's typically have tight chambers - I sent my Czechmate barrels to be throated (Great guy here on BE).  I can now load up to 1.165 - but I never do.  I would suggest trying various OALs to see what works.  Bullet profile can make a difference also, plunk test the actual completed cartridge you will be using.  1.125 with one bullet can be very different that 1.125 with another.

I also use 124gr RMR FMJ bullets almost exclusively - I like the way those feel, 147s feel sort of...sluggish to me.  

On 5/4/2023 at 12:34 AM, Midwest3Gunner said:

Anybody been brave enough to chop one up and try turn it into an open gun? Would you have to go cone comp?

I wouldn't do it, because its dust cover is relatively short. Less than Commander.

maybe with longer barrel it will be better choice .

Does anyone know what type of grip screws the DWX uses?  I have heard they are standard 1911 screws, but when I tried threading in a Cylinder & Slide 1911 screw into the frame it seemed like it was not going in all the way. It started like everything was cool, then it stopped and I did not want to force anything and mess up the threads.

https://cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0147B&sid=91j9jw7ci0w9743k776x3oey3ph2x0ys

Does anyone know what type of grip screws the DWX uses?  I have heard they are standard 1911 screws, but when I tried threading in a Cylinder & Slide 1911 screw into the frame it seemed like it was not going in all the way.

Check out my post on reddit for some details: https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/13cxbw1/details_on_replacing_dwx_grips/

Long story short, 1911 grip screws 0.150-50 TPI. https://lokgrips.com/accessories/1911-hex-screws-black/ 

Edited by Toggleme

8 hours ago, Toggleme said:

Check out my post on reddit for some details: https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/13cxbw1/details_on_replacing_dwx_grips/

Long story short, 1911 grip screws 0.150-50 TPI. https://lokgrips.com/accessories/1911-hex-screws-black/ 

Thanks for the excellent information about the DWX grip screws, and welcome to the forum! 👍

10 hours ago, Drell said:

Just got my DWX from CZ Custom after they did the optics cut.

45 Ounces exactly for those interested in IDPA.

IMG_3064.jpeg

Very nice!  Looks like CZC got that SRO deep in the slide, have you shot it yet?

Yea the SRO is nice and deep, shot about 20 rounds through it to sight it in. Shot really nice, but might have to tweak the sear spring a bit to try and lighten the trigger a tad. Hopefully I can get back to the range this weekend and put a couple hundred down range.