Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

29 minutes ago, Hammerman said:

I guess I wouldn't care if I was going to actually run an optic, but I'm not ready yet.

i am saying no but my eyes are slowly saying yes. don't have anything with RD yet . but i am sure i will in time. for now just wan the rail. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, danwessondwx said:

Can you post a pic of what cajun did to the slide?

Here you go.  I would have liked to take more material off but I like how it came out overall.  I would look elsewhere if I were to do it again though.  

Screenshot_20230609_155137_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230609_155142_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230609_155148_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230609_155157_Gallery.jpg

Bringing in the trigger conversation from the ts2 vs dwx thread: 

What are the best options for reducing trigger pull weight? One user suggested the egw ignition kit. Has anyone done a hone/polish job without modifying any geometry with good results?

Had my barrel reamed to fit RMR 124's at 1.10 as well as these grips from Patriot Defense. Not sure if they'll be too aggressive or not yet... I'm waiting on the slide and a magwell now. I think the grips tie together the stock trigger shoe and EGW hammer. 

DWXgrips.jpg

On 3/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, earlan357 said:

Played with my DWX over the weekend while shooting 25y B8 drills.  Threw in a 19# mainspring and replaced the sear spring.  The factory sear spring’s sear leg was slightly short and a pita to position correctly.  Tried a WC 13# flatwire recoil spring but really preferred an ISMI Glock 17 11# spring.  Despite the lower rating, the Glock spring was returning the front sight level while the WC was returning slightly high with 130PF 147gr.  Probably due to longer free length and increased preload.  Picked up a 1911 flat bottom FP stop to play with in the shop.  The firing pin hole is drilled lower in the DWX but I can throw it in the mill at work to make it match.  I took some measurements and the slide will fit a standard 1911 round wire recoil spring.  I’m going to open up the recoil spring hole and modify an X5 Legion guide rod to fit.  Opens up spring tuning to the full suite of 1911 springs and adds a little more weight under the muzzle.

The factory mag release felt a bit stiff even after a bit of buffing.  Picked up a Wolff reduced power 1911 spring pack.  The #3 felt just right.

Also, LOK palm swell Veloce grips for the Shadow2 feel just as good on the DWX as my SP-01.

Once I get the guide rod and fp stop situated, it’s off for optic milling.

14EE9C0C-1939-41F0-85F5-616BBB86BE9B.jpeg

45FD8172-CBC8-4228-943E-A6DDC330FA48.jpeg

66C13CB6-972A-4060-AD78-E5EA9D42F0CF.jpeg

It seems like you're one of the only guys on here really digging into the DWX. Where are you at with it now?

7 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Had my barrel reamed to fit RMR 124's at 1.10 as well as these grips from Patriot Defense. Not sure if they'll be too aggressive or not yet... I'm waiting on the slide and a magwell now. I think the grips tie together the stock trigger shoe and EGW hammer. 

"Reamed to fit RMR 124's at 1.10" - I don't have many rounds through mine as its having the slide milled but I'm sure it shot one of my standard plinking loads using RMR 124 at 1.118" - those were RN, not the FP, didn't try those. 

The other mods look great, love the grips.  I have the palmswell veloce in black with a red liner - pretty cool.  Pics when done.   

8 minutes ago, philmadxx said:

"Reamed to fit RMR 124's at 1.10" - I don't have many rounds through mine as its having the slide milled but I'm sure it shot one of my standard plinking loads using RMR 124 at 1.118" - those were RN, not the FP, didn't try those. 

The other mods look great, love the grips.  I have the palmswell veloce in black with a red liner - pretty cool.  Pics when done.   

I was surprised too but they did not plunk test at 1.10. I’m shooting the matchwinners

I only have two loads with Match Winners, my 9mm major load at 1.135" - had to ream my Czechmate barrels to get them to work - that isn't even close in the DWX barrel.  The other load is my "Pins" load - a 147gr MW - same profile at 124 I think - won't plunk at 1.118".  RN at the same length work fine. Time to ship it off to Memphis Mechanic for reaming while I wait for my slide.  

Thanks for the info.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, bytor1969 said:

Got my baby back, can't wait to shoot it with the optic!

FB_IMG_1683324306554.jpg

FB_IMG_1683324303171.jpg

This looks awesome, what color cerakote is that?

How does the slide/lockup feel now that it's been coated? I'll be sending mine for an optics cut but not sure what to do about coating. Primary Machine does great work but requires the entire slide to be coated after a cut. Cerakote looks great but the DLC coating already on it is superior. 

Edited by mynamejeff
grammar

On 6/16/2023 at 4:58 PM, mynamejeff said:

This looks awesome, what color cerakote is that?

How does the slide/lockup feel now that it's been coated? I'll be sending mine for an optics cut but not sure what to do about coating. Primary Machine does great work but requires the entire slide to be coated after a cut. Cerakote looks great but the DLC coating already on it is superior. 

Personally I sent it to a place that didn't require Cerakote on the entire slide. Like you I think the DLC coating is superior. The only place I found is Stonebridge Gunworks. They did my Shadow 2 slide that I'm very happy with and have my DWX slide right now. Last I checked their turn around is also only 2-3 weeks. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

DWX slide is stainless, so not necessary to refinish.

finishes like cerakote will dimension so make sure the optic still fits the cut after being done.

have found DLC wears at friction surfaces.

we (CZC) either leave unfinished per customer or send off for black nitride.

3 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Looks like a floyds but i cant tell if its the shadow 2 or TS version

It’s the Floyd’s TS version.  Fit on perfect pretty close to factory magwell bevel.  

9 hours ago, jripper said:

It’s the Floyd’s TS version.  Fit on perfect pretty close to factory magwell bevel.  

Any chance you know if the original Henning extensions work? I know on the Shadow 2 the original hennings work with both the floyds and armory craft magwells but I’m unsure about the DWX/TS

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Any chance you know if the original Henning extensions work? I know on the Shadow 2 the original hennings work with both the floyds and armory craft magwells but I’m unsure about the DWX/TS

I’m using czc basepads and there seems to be plenty of space in the Floyd’s magwell. So I’m guessing yes but don’t know for sure 

2 minutes ago, jripper said:

I’m using czc basepads and there seems to be plenty of space in the Floyd’s magwell. So I’m guessing yes but don’t know for sure 

Thanks. I ordered a couple and will post up when I get them and can test.