Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 or 750 ?

chgofirefighter

Thanks - I'll keep all of this in mind.  I've already looked into the roller bearing solution as something to upgrade on the press.

I figure that with something like the primer shuttle, wouldn't a dry lubricant be better than using something petroleum based?  I've got a big can of Valvoline Ford bearing grease fortified with molybdenum that I picked up when I changed the front brake rotors/bearings/hub on a Ford Ranger - I wonder if that would work well in that area.

The dry part isn't the issue its the buildup of carbon from the spent primers. the problem is finding the balance you need something to lubricate but something that wont attract the carbon. I use graphite dry lube.seams to hold out for me longer than grease and oil. Haven't tried silicone

On 10/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, 4n2t0 said:

When compared to the 650, yes.

This.

The 550 system is workable and if you have never owned a 650 you would probably be satisfied. I have loaded thousands of rounds on my 550 and when I got the 650 I couldn’t believe how maintenance free the primer system was. Still have and use the 550 but my 650 is the workhorse. 

That's an interesting statement "Red Ryder" I've loading over 30k on my 650 in the last year and half and have never come close to the firework show your describing! 

It’s not hard to find out info on 650’s blowing stacks of primers. A simple search will provide many examples and personal experiences. After it happened to me, I read about it on Dillon’s website forum. Just don’t mount your 650 directly under fluorescent lights.... or you will have 2 messes to clean up, after you change your underwear. Don’t misunderstand me. I love my 650, but they can go KABOOM once in a while. I wonder if this is another reason for the newly designed 750?

The primers are housed in a thick cast iron tube for a reason. And that plastic rod looks like a cork screw afterwards.

Here's my 2cents:

I never had the 550, so I can't comment on the primer system faults or qualities. I did have a 650 and the two things (beside no swaging) I had the most problems with were the priming system and the indexing of the shell plate. Yes I had a "kaboom" which blew the whole primer magazine and left a dent in the ceiling from the follower rod. Good news is Dillon backs it up with their guarantee and sent a complete new system. I also found both Winchester and Federal primers are subject to accidental detonation in the press.

What I see in the 750 is Dillon improving the two weaknesses in the 650 press and I'll bet it was done in response to the volume of warranty repairs and replacements they have encountered.

After approximately 30K rounds through the 650 I sold it and purchased a 1050 and quite frankly wish I had done so from the start. But if your budget is a major factor I would get the 750 over the 650. 

Oh well we all have them, opinions.

Enjoy whichever machine you purchase, it will serve you well for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Save up an buy the 1050. The 650’s priming, case feeding, and lack of swagging makes me hate it bad!  

Though, no press is perfect!   Good thing about Dillon is their CS is 100%!  

I will eventually sell my 650 and get another 1050. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 2:52 PM, EEH said:

This is just me, anything would be better than the red Machine.

Being as Dillon has new model 750 is where I’d put my money. If you can find a deal on the 650 maybe worth looking in to.

I have a LNL and a 650. Saying that "anything is better than the Hornady" is just fanboy nonsense. I have loaded multiple thousand of rounds on the LNL without problem. Their customer service has been pleasant and responsive. So has Dillons. The biggest problem to me is how much the case feeder cost for the LNL.