Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 or 750 ?

chgofirefighter

New to reloading well not new to reloading but I was using a Hornady Lock & Load progressive press in which I want to upgrade to a Dillon, currently undecided between the 650 and the 750, so which one do you guys recommend?  Looking to load minor and major ammo in 9mm, however, I've been told that the 750 is so much nicer than the 650 and its basically $100 more extra compared to the 650 press... So what's the verdict?  Buy once cry once?  or be frugal? 

This is just me, anything would be better than the red Machine.

Being as Dillon has new model 750 is where I’d put my money. If you can find a deal on the 650 maybe worth looking in to.

I wouldn't say its immensely better. It has a few items on it that make it different.
1 is the priming system, some like it some don't though it seems the people who don't like it compare it to the 550 priming system. The issue with the 550 system is that it deprimes in the same station and gets filthy. The 750 does it on a different station.
2 it adds a roller can bearing. Which you can get from snowshooze for not much money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I bought my Dillon 650 on sale from Titan Reloading about 6 months ago before the 750 was announced. (Still on sale by the way, as I’m sure they are everywhere)

I bought all the upgrades from Armanov and Snowshooz.

Also got a Mr Bullet Feeder for multiple calibers.

I LOVE IT!

If you can find a 650 on sale or one of the new newer used ones it’s tough to beat.

I make 300 BO brass, process 5.56 brass, and have loaded about 10-11k rounds of various calibers.

Easy to set up. Easy caliber changes.

Could not be happier.

I live about 2 miles from Dillon and got to play around with the 750 before it went on sale. It’s a nice machine as they all are, but I’m in the camp that likes the 650 priming system. And I have a 550 too. That priming system can be a little finicky at times too.

Either way go team blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

I bought my Dillon 650 on sale from Titan Reloading about 6 months ago before the 750 was announced. (Still on sale by the way, as I’m sure they are everywhere)

I bought all the upgrades from Armanov and Snowshooz.

Also got a Mr Bullet Feeder for multiple calibers.

I LOVE IT!

If you can find a 650 on sale or one of the new newer used ones it’s tough to beat.

I make 300 BO brass, process 5.56 brass, and have loaded about 10-11k rounds of various calibers.

Easy to set up. Easy caliber changes.

Could not be happier.

I live about 2 miles from Dillon and got to play around with the 750 before it went on sale. It’s a nice machine as they all are, but I’m in the camp that likes the 650 priming system. And I have a 550 too. That priming system can be a little finicky at times too.

Either way go team blue.

Team blue is the ONLY way to go~  and yes you can't go wrong with either choice~  

I bought a 750 and it's nice with ths bullet feeder, case feeder etc. Other than my 750 my friends all have 1050s and Mark7s so I don't have much to compare. I feel like the 750 felt a little smoother than the one 650 I have ever touched though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a 550 and 650. The 650 has all the extras bullet feeder, case feeder, ...  

I prefer the primer feeder on the 650 over the 550. Maybe the 750 has improved over the 550 but I don’t see anything about the 750 I have to have.

If I were buying new today I’m not sure I would buy the 750 over the 650 unless they were the same price and even then I would like to see more reviews on them after people had loaded a few hundred thousand on them. 

IMO the 750 looks like a cost cutting version of the 650. The priming system on the 750 looks similar (if not almost identical) to the 550 and it sucks.

Just my .02, probably not even worth that much.

Edited by 4n2t0

23 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

IMO the 750 looks like a cost cutting version of the 650. The priming system on the 750 looks similar (if not almost identical) to the 550 and it sucks.

Read post #4.  It's not the same priming situation as the 550.

13 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

Read post #4.  It's not the same priming situation as the 550.

23 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Edited by 4n2t0

I have demo’d the 750 in the Dillon showroom. It IS the same priming system as the 550, just a different location as stated above.

Both systems have their pros and cons. The 550/750 is an inherently simpler system. The downside is it’s not as robust and CAN be finicky. The 650 is a more solid robust system and IMO makes it easier to prime finicky cases with tight primer pockets.

I don’t think it’s that much more difficult to swap priming systems on the 650 vs 550. And for high volume loading prefer the 650 system.

It’s all personal preference. Any Dillon system is a good system IMO.

Obviously YMMV

Sounds like the same just a different location, am I missing something?
The crap that comes out from spring comes out in the station before not above. The problems that I have most on the 550 with the priming system is from it getting dirty and sticking. If the little bit of stuff that comes out from each
de priming happens at station 1 it should stay cleaner

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is an interesting thread for two reasons.  One, I sold my Hornady LNL AP specifically so I could buy a Dillon, and I got lost a fair amount of money on it to move it, but I'm VERY happy with my 550.

The second thing that I am learning, is that if I ever want a 650, I should probably find one and get it now - I'm sure the 750 is ok, but I don't like the idea of a company cheapening a product - I'd rather pay a bit more for a better design than to deal with something that has been purposely cheapened.

On a side note, I keep hearing about people getting good deals on used Dillon presses.  Where!?  It seems to me that people who have them hang on to them - I'd happily pick up a 650 on the used market.  At the present time I don't shoot enough to really justify the higher output of the 650, but I'm at an age now where it's not going to be too long before I do have more time on my hands, and part of the plan for that time is to do substantially more shooting, and having two presses dedicated to specific things would be nice.

Is the priming system on the 550 really that bad?  Granted, I'm very new to loading on my 550 - I think I've loaded about 700 rounds so far (500 9mm, and about 100 each 40 S&W and 45 ACP) but from what I can see, there's nothing gumming up the works on my priming system.  I say this because there are folks who have said that they "need" to clean the priming system of their 550s every 500 rounds or so, but mine shows no signs of actually needing that.

So far, other than one minor issue where an ejected primer got in the way of the primer shuttle, preventing it from traveling back far enough to pick up a new primer, I've had no issues with the functioning of the primer system itself.

Once the factory lubes break down the dirt will start slowing you down. Thats not to say its going to ruin your life just pull it apart every 1000 and brake clean the area, and relube appropriately takes 2 minutes. I have 100,000 rounds or so on my 550. It still works fine. I

I primed off press for a long time(50000 or so) because it annoyed me but I came back and upgraded to the roller bearing and it seems to help

Ive had that issue with the primer on the slide that prevented picking up new, it happens.

Also Ive had issue with the bar bending slightly and not being able to pick up a primer consistently.

Upgrade the pin to a small finish nail on the spent primer catch and use some silicone ot graphite lube on the 2 pieces of metal they will start to bind