Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi cap Nats range and sun

B_RAD

the bays are at about 45deg  so not like Frostproof but I'm sure like everywhere depending on time of day and target location it could be a pain. I don't remember any issues with the sun at Either of the Area 1 Matches I shot there but those were earlier in the year so the sun was well up before shooting time.

52 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The mesa can block a bit of sun, getting it darker than you'd expect as well. The sun isn't the greatest environmental threat there, it is wind, dust and rain.

You forgot the heat if you’re not used to it. 

The image below is from Bing maps. The red arrow shows North. There have been issues with the development to the northwest, and some of the bays will be reconfigured after the nationals. For now, this is the layout. The bay configuration and the local terrain don't allow lighting to be much of an issue. Not like east/west bays at that other place.

image.png.282d7e266b535f03ff6b7e6040b483be.png

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I know him in real life and have shot together for a few years. He's got heat handled.

Seems like every National or Area event has some weather issues, wouldn’t doubt if UT has a heat wave that week. 

5 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Seems like every National or Area event has some weather issues, wouldn’t doubt if UT has a heat wave that week. 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'm going. It will rain.

You guys need to stop!

I live in St George and shoot at SUPS 3-4 times a week. I’ve never noticed sun issues earlier in the day like at Frostproof. As for rain...haven’t seen any since, I don’t know...May?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

2017 Nationals was at this range and if I recall it was a little chilly first thing in the morning. I think they started just after the sun came up and I remember some deep shadows on a couple of the stages, soon cleared up though.

I worked that match. It was a little chilly in the morning but was nice the rest of the day. I also shot the 2014 nationals there. We were on the late, early, late early relay. It rained late, early, late, early. Probably won't happen this year. We hope! 😉