Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Shadow 2

Honeybooboo

I was shooting a Tanfo Stock 2 for a while that I had all done up. Lately have just been shooting Glocks and haven’t kept up with the Shadow 2 all that much so have a couple dumb questions. 

It it seems like the stock Shadow 2 is pretty legit to go out of the box. Is it even worth say, ordering a CZ Custom Shadow 2 and having to wait for it when I can just go buy a stock one off the shelves at my dealer?

what about the Accushadow 2?

if buying a stock one, what are the simple mods you guys are doing to get some low hanging fruit? 

I have a Shadow-2 and was blown away at how great it was right out of the box.  I had never had a gun before that I felt no need to mod anything, especially the trigger.  Later, I got a Bull Shadow-2, and eventually I decided to have my Shadow-2's trigger done by CZ Custom so they would feel the same, and minimize any trigger-pull changes required when switching between the two guns.  Long way of saying, get the trigger done, and that's it.  I'm not sold on the bushing mod being significant.  

20 hours ago, eerw said:

If buying stock one.  11#12# mainspring, 11# recoil, extended firing pin, 2075 rami FP spring.

Do This! ^^^^^, it’s a great and inexpensive starting point, I might add the reduced power return spring.  While the S2 is good out of the box, these little changes make a pretty big difference without going full custom trigger job.  

I was also shooting my glock 34 CO for competition and so glad I made the change.  Sent to CZC for the plate optic system, worth every penny!  

Edited by PGGUNS

On 9/2/2019 at 5:55 AM, PGGUNS said:

Do This! ^^^^^, it’s a great and inexpensive starting point, I might add the reduced power return spring.  While the S2 is good out of the box, these little changes make a pretty big difference without going full custom trigger job.  

I was also shooting my glock 34 CO for competition and so glad I made the change.  Sent to CZC for the plate optic system, worth every penny!  

In addition to what has been said above I would also do the CGW floating trigger pin, and a short reset disconnector from CZ custom or CGW also a worthwhile investment. 

Edited by jonb.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, eerw said:

If buying stock one.  11#12# mainspring, 11# recoil, extended firing pin, 2075 rami FP spring.

Yes, this works no matter what. I have several S2's purchased that came from CZ Custom with a trigger job and it is so worth it.

Got my new Shadow2 optic ready two days ago. Of course I had to take it apart right away before I shot it. D/A trigger pull was about 12 pounds, S/A was about 4.5 pounds on my scale. The internals looked great so I decided to do nothing to it. I did my bend tweak to the factory trigger return spring, rummaged thru a box of springs left over from the thrilling days of yesteryear and found one hammer spring  labelled 15# minus 5 coils and installed that. Also found a recoil spring labelled 10#, probably a Wolff. I oiled all the parts as I put it together. Got a 5.5# da pull and 2.5# sa pull. Nice and crisp, i can make the trigger creep a wee  bit if I try real hard but at match or practice speed no noticeable creep at all. Reset is quite nice. Installed the Vortex Venom and went to the range today. Only brought 50 rounds. They all went bang, no misfires, primer hits look fine with Federal primers. Sighted in the Venom at 10 yards, then moved to 15 yards Did a three shot one hole group at 15. Supported of course. No, I didnt miss. Got a one inch group at 20 yds. Shadow2 is a helluva gun. Who the hell needs a Shadow Target or a Bull Shadow? My load was 3.4 grains of V V320, Federal primers, 147 grain Campro plated bullet @1.110. Empties landed about 6 feet away. The gun flips up, dips down, then resettles at about the starting point. Just loaded another 300 rounds and will be off to the range tomorrow. I will try and tune the recoil spring.Cheers.

Edited by hal1955

1 hour ago, PGGUNS said:

Just an fyi, I have an 11.5lb hammer spring and starting to get light primer strikes from factory ammo.  I’m around the 4500 round mark and this is the first I’m experience light strikes.  Changed to the 13 lb so hopefully that solves the issue.

As I understand it, and someone step in if I am mistaken, Federal Match primers are suggested when using the 11.5 hammer spring.  It is pretty remarkable that you got consistent strikes for 4500 rounds using factory ammo!  Was it Federal match ammo?

Federal is suggested/required when using the 8# hammer spring.

My shadow 2 doesn’t have any problems lighting off any primers including CCI which is the hardest one I’ve used. I have the 11.5# hammer spring, 11# recoil spring, ext firing pin and reduced firing pin spring installed. I even inadvertently used the stock firing pin and spring one time after I forgot to take them out after dry firing and it still lit off my reloads which has both CCI and Winchester primers.

8 hours ago, RedlandsShooter said:

As I understand it, and someone step in if I am mistaken, Federal Match primers are suggested when using the 11.5 hammer spring.  It is pretty remarkable that you got consistent strikes for 4500 rounds using factory ammo!  Was it Federal match ammo?

As George16 stated, federal is suggested with the 8 lb HS.  11.5 generally is pretty good.  Most of the ammo used (about 3000) rounds was remain ammo from Angel fire.  The other 15 hundred was mainly Fiocchi 124 g and Lawman 147g.  I had other issues with malfunctions with the remain ammo so ended up just using factory.  So all said only 1500 or so with factory ammo which both as I understand have hard primers.

Recoil spring of your choice. Leave the buffer in. I use a 10 or 11 pound one from CZC.

Main spring of your choice. I use an 11 or 12 pound one from CZC

2075 firing pin spring. A stock part from another model, I buy it from CZC.

So for three springs that cost less than 25 bucks you have a gun than is noticeably better and is more tuned to your liking. And all with the most simple hand tools and basic mechanical ability. That and grips I like are ALL I;ve done to my match gun. I used to have Shadow 2's with hammers and discos and pins and this and that. Now it is just three springs, grips I like and green fiber optic in the front sight. That is absolutely it.

I honestly believe doing more than that with this gun is just to make you feel better, not to make the gun any better. For example if you're chasing mods to get a 5lb DA pull the problem really is your technique, not that a 6 or 7lb DA pull is an insurmountable problem. Or if you can't put the gun back together without certain pins. That's you being inexperienced, not the gun's fault. But I digress....

On 9/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, PGGUNS said:

starting to get light primer strikes

Then change the freaking spring. It is a cheap part and replaceable with hand tools in less than a minute. Why leave it in when you know it's an issue and it costs less than a cheap lunch to replace it?

With an hour of your time (two if you need to watch a yt video to do it) a person can change every freaking spring they need to in the gun every 6 months for $30 some bucks. 30 bucks twice a year to have a gun you never have to worry about the longevity of its internal parts is a deal.

I treat springs as disposable and regularly replace them and instantly if they have a problem at all. We're competing and score is being kept. Why short yourself?

Edited by rowdyb

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

if i had a dollar for every time i've seen one of these pins walk in a gun i'd have over 20 bucks.

Wasn’t an issue in my SPO1 and not an issue in my Shadow 2. 

More an issue replacing that spring and getting the roll pin back in. 

10 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Then change the freaking spring. It is a cheap part and replaceable with hand tools in less than a minute. Why leave it in when you know it's an issue and it costs less than a cheap lunch to replace it?

With an hour of your time (two if you need to watch a yt video to do it) a person can change every freaking spring they need to in the gun every 6 months for $30 some bucks. 30 bucks twice a year to have a gun you never have to worry about the longevity of its internal parts is a deal.

I treat springs as disposable and regularly replace them and instantly if they have a problem at all. We're competing and score is being kept. Why short yourself?

Yep did all that you mentioned.  Got extra springs so don’t have to wait around to order next time.  

5 hours ago, jonb. said:

Wasn’t an issue in my SPO1 and not an issue in my Shadow 2. 

More an issue replacing that spring and getting the roll pin back in. 

I've used one twice myself. But I also worked at a noted CZ tuning shop for a year and my experience seeing customer guns tells me I don't want to use one. So yeah, they can make the job a little easier. But I say if you know how to do the job they aren't needed and are less secure than the stock roll pin.

You have anecdote about two guns. I have anecdote about two guns. But then I have the experience of seeing 100+ customer guns and that changed my mind.

I shoot stock 2 for about 2 years with all the works you can possible to done to it. Like you decide to give Shadow 2 a try. So far they are the best shooting gun from all the CZ and Tanfoglio to me. I will recommend to get stock gun with Canjun trigger kit, lighter recoil spring little and little polish will give you perfect competition gun. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've used one twice myself. But I also worked at a noted CZ tuning shop for a year and my experience seeing customer guns tells me I don't want to use one. So yeah, they can make the job a little easier. But I say if you know how to do the job they aren't needed and are less secure than the stock roll pin.

You have anecdote about two guns. I have anecdote about two guns. But then I have the experience of seeing 100+ customer guns and that changed my mind.

Thanks for the history makes sense. 

On 9/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, Honeybooboo said:

Thanks. Think I’m just getting a stock one and doing a hammer spring, recoil spring, and firing pin spring and maybe extended firing pin and that’s it. 

That’s what I did.  IMO CZ really narrowed the gap between stock and comp-ready with the Shadow 2.  Four spring changes (hammer, recoil, firing pin, and TRS).  Two pin changes, extended firing pin and trigger pin.  Maybe $50 from CGW?  

If I might add one more thing, I have been using an AR15 front takedown pin detent spring (...or whatever it's properly called...) as a replacement for the left hand safety detent spring on my Shadow 2s.  It gives way, way more "schnickety" to the safety.  That is to say, much more detent and more positive on/off action.  I just cut the AR15 spring about in half and replace the OEM CZ spring.

Far less chance of the safety being accidentally moved from one position to another.

1 hour ago, Justin M said:

If I might add one more thing, I have been using an AR15 front takedown pin detent spring (...or whatever it's properly called...) as a replacement for the left hand safety detent spring on my Shadow 2s.  It gives way, way more "schnickety" to the safety.  That is to say, much more detent and more positive on/off action.  I just cut the AR15 spring about in half and replace the OEM CZ spring.

Far less chance of the safety being accidentally moved from one position to another.

Or just get a DS Perman safety detent spring and be done with it. No cutting. 

Unless you have extra AR15 takedown springs laying around.