Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 extraction issue

rchaas

I have a Shadow 2 that frequently fails to extract (1-2/50). Next round jams, empty casing still in chamber, magazine removed, then the empty casing can be ejected normally by racking the slide. The brass looks ok, the rounds pass the barrel drop test. Minor load, PF 130 or so.

I’ve increased the recoil spring weight to 12#, ejection is vigorous (8ft), tried polishing the face of the extractor where the lip of each brass round slides over it. Extractor “looks” ok under a magnifying glass.

Any suggestions? I have a spare extractor (for SP01, should work I believe). Also a spare spring but unable to source a “heavy duty” extractor spring.

Have never had this issue on a number of previous CZ pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The extractor doesn't really slide over the rim of the brass.  The rim of the brass slides under the extractor as the slide returns to battery. So, I wouldn't worry about polishing the face of the extractor.

First thing to check is to see how dirty the extractor channel/cavity is.  They can get really packed with carbon and not allow the extractor spring to pivot the front of the extractor inwards fully.  If you have non-chlorinated brake cleaner, clean out all around the extractor channel.  Be liberal with the cleaner and spray the heck out of it.  If you don't happen to have non-chlorinated brake cleaner handy then try some spray lube you might have handy, like Rem Oil.  I'd try this first before moving forward with spring replacement.

I have a Shadow 2 that frequently fails to extract (1-2/50). Next round jams, empty casing still in chamber, magazine removed, then the empty casing can be ejected normally by racking the slide. The brass looks ok, the rounds pass the barrel drop test. Minor load, PF 130 or so.

I’ve increased the recoil spring weight to 12#, ejection is vigorous (8ft), tried polishing the face of the extractor where the lip of each brass round slides over it. Extractor “looks” ok under a magnifying glass.

Any suggestions? I have a spare extractor (for SP01, should work I believe). Also a spare spring but unable to source a “heavy duty” extractor spring.

Have never had this issue on a number of previous CZ pistols.

my buddy had the same issue recently with his having trouble in majors. Called CZ and they admitted they got a batch of bad extractors in a run if pistols out there. They made it right and sent him new extractor. No more issues in the latest 1k rounds. Call them and they'll send you a new extractor

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Midway did carry the extra power extractor springs.  Some shadow 2s have this issue, and I believe it is due to the fact that the recess for the extractor spring in some guns was cut incorrectly  The extra power spring should fix it. You may need to trim a coil or so off.

Let me know how you make out with the extended power spring. I am having the same issues suddenly as well. I am using mec gar mags and I was wondering if the mag springs were worn out. I have around 3000 rounds through the gun. I was thinking of replacing the mag springs, the extractor and the extractor spring. Very annoying.

What ammo are you using?  I had a similar problem and was using remain 147g.  For me it started around the 1000 round mark and started to happen pretty random after at every 200- 300 rounds.  Switched to regular 124g factory ammo and have 1700 error free rounds.  My set up is 11lb , recoil spring, 11.5 hammer spring, reduced power Trigger return spring, extended firing pin w/ spring.  Mine happened with different mags each time including a mec gar mag and they all were relatively new, (less than 1000 rounds).  Not sure it was the same problem as you but you might think about the ammo first.  Since you seem to be having the problem pretty frequently, a few boxes of factory ammo might give you an indication to rule that out.

My S2 with that set up didn’t seem to like powder puff loads, it wouldn’t seem to cycle as fast and consequently, if something wasn’t just right with the ammo, I would have problems.  I see a fair amount of shooters that try to tweak their loads in 9mm and continue to have problems with light loads.  Buddy of mine was having the same problem with the new walther Q5 SF.  The 124g is clearly more power but it is noticeably faster in getting back on zero when shooting.  My buddy made a good point to me that if I can’t manage recoil with a steel frame gun weighing over 2 lbs in 9mm, I have other problems, lol.  He’s right.

8 hours ago, kmam2010 said:

I also noticed that on cajun gun works website as well as cz usa website they both dont reccomend the extra power extractor spring for 9mm. They claim it can cause feeding issues. It is however recommended for 40 cal. More frustration.....

A friend had issues with not going into battery with extra power extractor spring.  He didn’t try tuning it, though.  We’ll see. 

I've had the same problem (different gun) with oversized coated bullets .001 over. It was due to a tight chamber and the case was sticking in chamber when fired. The extractor didn't have enough tension. However if I racked the slide the empty would come out the second time. 

Maybe try some factory FMJ see how those run.

3 hours ago, rchaas said:

A friend had issues with not going into battery with extra power extractor spring.  He didn’t try tuning it, though.  We’ll see. 

Right,  You may need to clip a coil or so.  I wouldn't recommend it unless you're having problems with extraction.

recoil springs are for reliably loading ammo into the chamber, that's all really. So they really don't mean much to extraction, unless you have one so heavy the slide doesn't get all the way back. I'd be sending the gun back to CZUSA or off to CZ Custom for diagnosis and fix. 

Replaced extractor spring with an extra power extractor spring after removing 1/2 coil (to ensure slide will go fully into battery). Shot 250 rounds of factory ammo and 100 rounds of minor PF reloads (mixed range brass) and no further issues.

Keeping fingers crossed! [emoji1695]

The only feeding issues I had were when: 

-the extractor was slightly bended (I didn't notice when I changed the spring), and had a double feed every 150 rounds. The spring worked even after 20k rounds

-I used a type of bullet which the feeding ramp didn't like

Are you 100% sure it was an empty case and not cartridge btw?

If you solved with the extra power spring, good to know

42 minutes ago, rchaas said:

Yes, sure it was an empty case, every time. No light strikes or failure to fire.

Thanks

That's not what I meant. If that was a double feed with 2 live rounds it would have been totally different (in my case it was still caused by the extractor)