Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 extraction issue

rchaas

My second shadow 2 developed the same problem at 3-4000 rounds.  It would run fine for about 150-175 rounds and then FTE.  Did it to me 3 times on one stage in a match.  I tried removing the extractor and cleaning it and the channel - didn't help.  Then I replaced the extractor spring with a new oem spring - didn't help.  Then i replaced the extractor and spring - didn't help.  Then I replaced the oem extractor spring with the extra power spring with 1-1/2 coils cut off and haven't had a FTE in 750 rounds.  

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2021 at 8:44 PM, eerw said:

If nitrite coated barrel , carefully polish barrel chamber. 
problem will go away.

Do you recommend doing this with just a q-tip and some flitz or using something slightly more aggressive like a Dremel with felt pads and flitz/similar compound?  

I'd hate to remove too much material and risk destroying the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having the same issue (fte) with a new S2 and a new Primary Arms milled slide. 500 roundstotal  and todays match I had at least 5-6 fte’s. I’ve had about 9 total. 

I thought maybe it was a recoil spring issue, I’ve got an 11# in. (147 gr, 135ish  pf). I threw a 10# in for one stage and it seemed to make it worse. 
Ammo I am using worked flawless in my S1 so I’m kind of frustrated. 
I’ve heard of using an A01 extractor might help? 

Edited by Malarky112

I was having intermittent extraction issues with my AccuS2 but recently replaced my recoil spring (run 11#, long overdue for replacement), extractor/pin, and standard power extractor spring.  Also gave my factory crimp die an extra little twist.

Runs like a champ again.  

How to tell if it's a nitride barrel?

Have a new Shadow 2 with 2% extraction failures. Extractor tension seems normal, certainly no less than on my Shadow 1 with zero extraction issues. Wondering if to start with polishing chamber or extractor / extractor spring. An extractor fix on a new gun seems rather like a workaround of an underlying problem.

So I’ve noticed some of my friends S2 barrels the feed ramp is shiny silver, while mine is black coated. I’m assuming that’s the nitride coating. 
I switched to an extra barrel that came with a slide I bought as an extra. I believe it came from a czc gun so the feed ramp was polished, I’m assuming maybe the chamber as well? 
I’ve now shot 250 rounds with no issues. 
I did pull the extractor and clean it but didn’t find anything obvious and gun was brand new so I’m doubtful that solved anything. 
I noticed my rounds would not spin freely when plunk testing my new S2 barrel, and I only load to 1.085 so I don’t believe they were bottoming out. I believe they were sticking in the chamber. They spin freely in the replacement barrel that I am using now. 
I trust Stuart (eerw) knows what he’s talking about and has seen this come up many times before. The real question is why is CZ sending out s2’s with this issue? 

• 9 months later...

I have two s2 oranges and have the same extraction issues. 

Any fixes?? 

I have done extractors, springs, load to 110. 

I have shot thousands of rounds in both guns. I am at me breaking point. This happens every couple hundred rounds

Thanks

Edited by S2cz

On 9/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, Malarky112 said:

So I’ve noticed some of my friends S2 barrels the feed ramp is shiny silver, while mine is black coated. I’m assuming that’s the nitride coating. 
I switched to an extra barrel that came with a slide I bought as an extra. I believe it came from a czc gun so the feed ramp was polished, I’m assuming maybe the chamber as well? 
I’ve now shot 250 rounds with no issues. 
I did pull the extractor and clean it but didn’t find anything obvious and gun was brand new so I’m doubtful that solved anything. 
I noticed my rounds would not spin freely when plunk testing my new S2 barrel, and I only load to 1.085 so I don’t believe they were bottoming out. I believe they were sticking in the chamber. They spin freely in the replacement barrel that I am using now. 
I trust Stuart (eerw) knows what he’s talking about and has seen this come up many times before. The real question is why is CZ sending out s2’s with this issue? 

because  CZ Eu  their trade mark is sloppy  gunsmithing  work.😉

not only extractor can cause  this problem. properly reamed and polished  chamber will solve this problem.

7 hours ago, S2cz said:

I have two s2 oranges and have the same extraction issues. 

Any fixes?? 

I have done extractors, springs, load to 110. 

I have shot thousands of rounds in both guns. I am at me breaking point. This happens every couple hundred rounds

Thanks

Polish the chamber seems to be the fix. Since I switched to a barrel that had the chamber polished I’ve had no issues. 

• 8 months later...

My shadow 2 is in warrantee repair for second time now for failure to extract. First repair was stronger extractor spring and polish and adjust extractor. This helps reduce failures but not 100%. Polish appears to be back side of extractor.  What does that do? Adjustment of same is a mystery also. I don't care to hear about cleaning or ammo type etc. My Hi power nor my HK fail to extract ever never! Regardless of bullet brand or bullet weight reload or factory. I don't want to be required to buy and sort ammo to find the one this $1500 gun likes. Reading these posts tells me CZ needs to find the 100% fix. Can't wait to try their second fix attempt.

1 hour ago, normalnorm said:

My shadow 2 is in warrantee repair for second time now for failure to extract. First repair was stronger extractor spring and polish and adjust extractor. This helps reduce failures but not 100%. Polish appears to be back side of extractor.  What does that do? Adjustment of same is a mystery also. I don't care to hear about cleaning or ammo type etc. My Hi power nor my HK fail to extract ever never! Regardless of bullet brand or bullet weight reload or factory. I don't want to be required to buy and sort ammo to find the one this $1500 gun likes. Reading these posts tells me CZ needs to find the 100% fix. Can't wait to try their second fix attempt.

I posted the fix in the post above this one. 

If the gun is has a Nitride finish I would recommend you polish the chamber.  I have seen people that have had chambering/extracting issues improve after polishing the chamber......

Good luck!

Edited by DougCarden

1 hour ago, DougCarden said:

If the gun is has a Nitride finish I would recommend you polish the chamber.  I have seen people that have had chambering/extracting issues improve after polishing the chamber......

Good luck!

I’ve been haveing a failure to extract every couple hundred rounds or so. This sounds like a good place to start and a easy fix!

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but yesterday I swapped to a titanium guide rod and had two failure to extracts in a single match. Maybe 8-10k on the gun, I had never cleaned the extractor channel so I did that and it was pretty dirty. I went ahead and ordered a new extractor and spring. I also use a 9lb recoil spring but it's been flawless for 3-4k rounds. Is there any reason a lighter guide rod would induce failure to extracts? 

On 3/15/2023 at 7:26 PM, DougCarden said:

Good luck!

Old post but curious what to use to polish the nitride. Flitz?