Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire, Pull the Trigger or Not?

anonymouscuban

So I've read different opinions on this...

When dry firing with a DA/SA pistol, should you trigger pull?

I find that when I'm doing transition drills, it really helps me to pull the trigger. I don't know I'd it's that it allows that momentary pause or the trigger action that helps me confirm my sights or what. I find when I don't pull the trigger, I'm less honest about my sight picture.

What I've been doing lately is I pin the hammer back with one of my wife's hair ties. This more closely simulates single action pull. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. It seems to work for me.

What do you guys do?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

It will depend on what you’re actually trying to improve.  Trigger control yea pull it,  transitions maybe not when your isolating trans drills. 

Then when you feel you’re doing better put it all together and pull the trigger on the timer. 

In Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded book, he specifically talked about this. There are certain drills wherein he said not to press the trigger and some that you will need to. One drill that I know is the Draw. He just wants the shooter to be proficient with the draw and to establish the index. Doing this isolates the drill to the draw itself and nothing else. For the transition drills, one drill doesn’t want you to press the trigger while the other transition drill tells you to do so.

I put an o-ring between the hammer and slide during my Dry Fire Practice. These are the o-rings I bought from eBay.

Dry Fire o ring

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like pulling the trigger on transition drills because it congests the drill and pulling the trigger doesn't help you with transitioning to the next target. With a standard transition drill it's important to get your eyes on the target and to make sure the gun stops where you're looking without excess travel. I find the more steps we add to a drill the less we focus on the purpose of the drill. 

I've been messing around with only prepping the trigger during dry fire rather than fully pulling the trigger.  I start with the gun in hand (not holstered) and the hammer back.  On the beep, I bring the gun to the first target and prep the trigger on the way there.  As soon as the sights align at the desired aiming point on the target, I fully release the trigger and then prep it during the transition to the next target; the hammer should never drop during this drill except maybe on the very last target in a string.  Trigger prepping has really improved my splits, transitions, and accuracy on long shots and this is the most effective way I have found to practice it in dry fire.  I have heard JJ Racaza mention something similar to this in interviews, but I've never taken a class from him so I'm not sure if this is exactly what he's talking about.