Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major loads

Rpope423

I’ve recently decided to move to limited major I’ve got everything together exceot

for a load, I’ve overheard some people say not to use titegroup for major loads and I’m curious why they said that? Any input is appreciated 

I’ve recently decided to move to limited major I’ve got everything together exceot

for a load, I’ve overheard some people say not to use titegroup for major loads and I’m curious why they said that? Any input is appreciated 

Used titegroup for 2 years in my 2011s. 4.6 grains @ 1.205 gives me 168pf in a 5 inch barrel and 172pf in a 6 inch barrel.

Recently, I switched to WST and like it much better. Standard deviation is less than 5, meters much better (TG was constantly up or down 0.1gr) and gun takes much longer to get extremely hot unlike titegroup. Titegroup would have the gun feeling like a flamethrower was heating it up within 100 rounds. Titegroup is always my go to if I'm unable to find WST.

WST charge:

4.9gr @ 1.205 in 5 inch tungsten sleeved KKM barrel is 167-168pf. 172-173pf in 6 inch KKM BARREL

Titegroup:

4.6gr @ 1.205 in 5 inch tungsten sleeved KKM= 167-171pf

6 inch barrel=170-175pf

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’ll be shooting a Glock 22 with a 35 barrel and Taylor freelance sight block so I’m probably looking at 172PF with 4.6 grains if I’m guessing 
Not necessarily! my overall length is 1.205 inches. You will have to load closer to factory length so you will need less powder. Start at 4.0 grains 1.125 OAL and chrono. Make 10-20 rounds of 4.0, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6

Oops, just posted not seeing the last one -- oh well.

------------

Be careful. 4.6 is the right powder range for 2011s that load rounds up in the 1.180 to 1.200 range. With a Glock you'll be loading shorter and will probably fall in the low 4s.

The main reason to avoid Titegroup is if you plan to shoot coated or traditional cast lead bullets. It burns too hot for them. It does heat the gun more than any other powder I've tried, so that part of it's reputation is earned. But it's a mild irritation at most.

As long as you're shooting jacketed bullets there's no harm in giving it a try. It's one of those powders with the right burn rate and characteristics to be interesting to competition pistol shooters. Most of us have used it successfully at one point or another although as @Rnlinebacker says many of us have also moved on to other powders. But not because TG is horrible, mainly just because it's fun to chase a new recommendation. Titegroup is still my 9mm competition load powder of choice even though I've moved on to a different powder for 40.

Edited by ttolliver

Oops, just posted not seeing the last one -- oh well.

------------

Be careful. 4.6 is the right powder range for 2011s that load rounds up in the 1.180 to 1.200 range. With a Glock you'll be loading shorter and will probably fall in the low 4s.

The main reason to avoid Titegroup is if you plan to shoot coated or traditional cast lead bullets. It burns too hot for them. It does heat the gun more than any other powder I've tried, so that part of it's reputation is earned. But it's a mild irritation at most.

As long as you're shooting jacketed bullets there's no harm in giving it a try. It's one of those powders with the right burn rate and characteristics to be interesting to competition pistol shooters. Most of us have used it successfully at one point or another although as [mention=66459]Rnlinebacker[/mention] says many of us have also moved on to other powders. But not because TG is horrible, mainly just because it's fun to chase a new recommendation. Titegroup is still my 9mm competition load powder of choice even though I've moved on to a different powder for 40.
yep I still use it for 9 minor without hesitation

Yeah, look for something else for coated. Even if the coating holds up to the heat of the ignition I'm told it still smokes a fair bit.

The only coated bullet experience I have in 40 major is with CFE Pistol and N320. Both of those were excellent competition loads. I'm sure someone will jump in with other suggestions.

I shot coated and titegroup for a while. I didn’t have any issues with it and the only reason I changed was I went to something I could get locally cheaper. I was at 4.3gr 1.18” in a sti edge making 169pf. If you have the powder and bullets, I’d go for it and see if you like it. 

I’ll be shooting Coated I forgot to mention that so should I give tite group a try or go ahead and try something else? I don’t want any kind of issues if the gun is gonna get to hot 
it really depends on the coating. I tested many different coated bullets because I was intent on using titegroup. I settled on Ibejiheads as they smoked the least for me. I certainly see the smoke when I watch my videos, which is very little, but I've never noticed it while I'm actively shooting a stage.

WST is really nice, do your load work during the summer as SOME have reported losing velocity in the heat.

My WST load is 172 Pf and I've never gone below 170 at chrono and never gone above 173 during the winter (testing)

BUT several others have had chrono issues, I like WST

e3 seems really nice in the forty (3.5 grs at 1.180 BUT a 200gr bullet)

I'm a huge fan of Alliant e3 for 40 major Limited.  I loaded to 1.126" and use 3.7gr under a plated 180.  172PF and single digit SDs.  Super clean and no temperature sensitivity.

I shoot a Glock 35 and my major load was 1.130 oal with 4.3gr of titegroup for a pf of 169-171. 

I have since moved to Alliant sport pistol. It burns like n320 but is much cheaper. I use 4.4-4.5gr for a pf of 168-170. 

Edited by Eman

Eman what bullet are you pushing? I currently use Unique pushing a 180 RN hardcast lead for my major load and Clays under a 155 for minor.

One of my shooting buddies told me to switch to Titegroup when my Unique is all gone but now you have me curious about Sport Pistol.  I like cheaper since my son and I shoot quite a bit.

Tight group smokes a bit with coated, and burns hotter than some other powders. I have used a ton of it though and will continue to use up what I have. I wouldnt buy more though. IIRC it is still one of the more popular powders by a big margin used at USPSA nationals in the survey.
In you case it doesnt seem like you have any yet. So while the powder is fine, there are others that have come out that are better. 
for 40 major at factory OAL specs, Id probably go WST over tightgroup.
Other powders with good reviews  would be Sport pistol, clean shot.AA2, basically most readily available powders between tight group and unique

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Tight group smokes a bit with coated, and burns hotter than some other powders. I have used a ton of it though and will continue to use up what I have. I wouldnt buy more though. IIRC it is still one of the more popular powders by a big margin used at USPSA nationals in the survey.
In you case it doesnt seem like you have any yet. So while the powder is fine, there are others that have come out that are better. 
for 40 major at factory OAL specs, Id probably go WST over tightgroup.
Other powders with good reviews  would be Sport pistol, clean shot.AA2, basically most readily available powders between tight group and unique

Appreciate the info. Unique is smokey so I'm open to options. I load long at 1.150 which feeds great in my 1911 and my son's G35. I'm going to check with local reload supplier and see what he has in 1 lb so I can experiment.

21 hours ago, Pc70 said:

Eman what bullet are you pushing? I currently use Unique pushing a 180 RN hardcast lead for my major load and Clays under a 155 for minor.

One of my shooting buddies told me to switch to Titegroup when my Unique is all gone but now you have me curious about Sport Pistol.  I like cheaper since my son and I shoot quite a bit.

Pc70, 

I was using a hitek Coated 180gr bullet but recently switched my .40 bullets to Blue Bullets. The 180gr Blue Bullet bullet profile loads better for my g35. I can push it out a little farther oal wise. I use blue bullets exclusively for 9mm for the last 3-5k and they worked good so I ordered 850 or so to try in 40. Their coating is just awesome. It is hard and soft at the same time if that makes sense.  Very low smoke with sport pistol too. 

On 8/6/2019 at 7:02 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

Used titegroup for 2 years in my 2011s. 4.6 grains @ 1.205 gives me 168pf in a 5 inch barrel and 172pf in a 6 inch barrel.

Recently, I switched to WST and like it much better. Standard deviation is less than 5, meters much better (TG was constantly up or down 0.1gr) and gun takes much longer to get extremely hot unlike titegroup. Titegroup would have the gun feeling like a flamethrower was heating it up within 100 rounds. Titegroup is always my go to if I'm unable to find WST.

WST charge:

4.9gr @ 1.205 in 5 inch tungsten sleeved KKM barrel is 167-168pf. 172-173pf in 6 inch KKM BARREL

Titegroup:

4.6gr @ 1.205 in 5 inch tungsten sleeved KKM= 167-171pf

6 inch barrel=170-175pf

I dig WST. Similar recoil impulse to VV, IMO. 

That said, I took a friends load (4.7gr, 180gr bullet @ 1.185 and jussssst barely made PF at A3. Apparently everyone chrono’d low there though, I chrono’d the day before A3 at 176 PF, went to A3 and made 165.5 😂

• 2 weeks later...

4.3 of Promo pushing a 180 grain bullet @ 1.175ish usually gets me 170ish PF. 

Anyone who says they have a “soft” major load is blowing smoke. It’s physics, you have no comp on the gun to direct gasses. 

Get a powder and stick to it is my advice. Just switched powder cause I got it cheaper but this is my second powder ever used. I’ve been playing the game for almost 5 years and been reloading for 7.