124 PD JHP 3.8 Titegroup avg velocity 1121 14-1/2 JP barrel

Pic on left federal match primer

CCI on right. What do you think?204b71bcdede6155a219e425c6accf3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

124 PD JHP 3.8 Titegroup avg velocity 1121 14-1/2 JP barrel
Pic on left federal match primer
CCI on right. What do you think?204b71bcdede6155a219e425c6accf3c.jpg

I load to 4.0 with coated 124s. The federal cup is much softer so it'll be prone to flattening. +p+ ammo is much hotter than what you're loading. should be fine

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Couldn't figure out why your velocity was so blazing fast until I noticed it was a PCC.  Federal is supposed to be softer, right?  Looks like you have a deeper indentation in the Federal primer, so that checks out.  I ran that exact same load (well, 4.0 gr instead of 3.8 gr) through a Shadow.  Worked great.  Is there something wrong in the picture that I'm not noticing?

Couldn't figure out why your velocity was so blazing fast until I noticed it was a PCC.  Federal is supposed to be softer, right?  Looks like you have a deeper indentation in the Federal primer, so that checks out.  I ran that exact same load (well, 4.0 gr instead of 3.8 gr) through a Shadow.  Worked great.  Is there something wrong in the picture that I'm not noticing?

No just making sure federal primer isn’t too flat.

No just making sure federal primer isn’t too flat.

It averages 1085 out of a 5” M&P pistol

1 hour ago, Tanders said:

It averages 1085 out of a 5” M&P pistol

Funny how the primer (at least to me) on the left look larger in diameter than the one on the right.  I know it isn't, but it looks like it is.  You wouldn't think a slightly flatter primer would look noticeably larger.

3 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

Funny how the primer (at least to me) on the left look larger in diameter than the one on the right.  I know it isn't, but it looks like it is.  You wouldn't think a slightly flatter primer would look noticeably larger.

Technically it is cause radius is smaller more surface area showing

Edited by dtuns

2 hours ago, dtuns said:

Technically it is cause radius is smaller more surface area showing

Sure, but my mind "tries" to tell me the primer pocket is larger, too.

One of those, "It looks funny" but it really can't be kind of things.

I think CCI just makes the rims of their primers more rounded, so the Federal one looks larger and flatter.  Is that how the loose primers look when they aren't pushed into casings?

1 hour ago, Tanders said:

I think CCI just makes the rims of their primers more rounded, so the Federal one looks larger and flatter.  Is that how the loose primers look when they aren't pushed into casings?

Those are .003 -.005 below surface and not loose.

Sorry, I didn't mean that the primers looked loose in the casings.  I meant do the edges of the CCI primers look rounded when compared to the Federal primers if you just take two primers out of the boxes they came in and directly compare them?  The primers shown below are CCI.  See how the edges look rounded?

image.png.bdc3b04e9d45a25a3696bf8e4c3278c4.png

Hello: That must be a slow barrel you have or the bullet is pretty hard. I am only using 3.1grains of Tite Group with 124 coated bullets and it gives me 131-134PF out of a 16" barrel. That is not a flat primer at all if you have seen what I have seen. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: That must be a slow barrel you have or the bullet is pretty hard. I am only using 31.grains of Tite Group with 124 coated bullets and it gives me 131-134PF out of a 16" barrel. That is not a flat primer at all if you have seen what I have seen. Thanks, Eric

Precision delta JHP. Lead and coated BULLETS have higher velocities compared to copper jacketed bullets usually

Primers look fine.

Primers also aren't that good an indicator of pressure.

Measure the expansion ring about ⅜" above the case head (this bulge is with all fired rounds and not due to unsupported chamber). Carefully mic around the case and you'll get a good measure of the expansion ring, and you can track it as you work up a load. Fire a few factory rounds so you know what the "max" expansion ring is.

Also, better to note felt recoil and where the cases land vs factory rounds.

16 hours ago, noylj said:

Primers look fine.

Primers also aren't that good an indicator of pressure.

Measure the expansion ring about ⅜" above the case head (this bulge is with all fired rounds and not due to unsupported chamber). Carefully mic around the case and you'll get a good measure of the expansion ring, and you can track it as you work up a load. Fire a few factory rounds so you know what the "max" expansion ring is.

Also, better to note felt recoil and where the cases land vs factory rounds.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Ontos said:

I run 3.6gr TG with the same slug and get 1,090fps from a 16”, so that sounds dead nuts on. 

Whats your OAL?

Works great out of GMR-15 and My M&P 5"