Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Question

Jay63

The stage has two arrays of 3 targets. The shooter can engage either array then do a mandatory reload and engage the second array. The shooter shoots the first array and then one target in the second array. He realizes his mistake does a reload and shoots all the second array targets. This leaves one target with 4 holes. Can't tell which holes were from first hitting the target . Do you score it best 2 on target, have him reshoot. He did engage all the targets in the second array after the reload so no procedural. Since he shot one target twice that slowed him down. How would you score the target with 4 holes. There were holes in different scoring zones, so picking the best two was an advantage.

I am thinking one procedure cause you can't shoot your way out of a  penalty.  Score best hits on paper

EDIT: yep two procedurals, I was going from memory last night when i said one.  

Edited by RJH

two procedurals.

Search “mandatory reload” in the rule book. 

Score the target best two. Absolutely no grounds for a reshoot, as the competitor screwed up.

7 hours ago, NMBOpen said:

USPSA? Comstock, Virginia? 1 Procedural for engaging 2nd array before reload. If Virginia, penalties for extra hits, still score best 2.

It is always per shot fired for failing to do the mandatory reload. 

Best hits always score.

Virginia count would also have extra shots extra hits.

In my review of rule 10.1.1, 10.2.2 and 10.2.4, I only see one penalty, not multiple penalties for multiple rules. If that were the case, he would get 3 procedural penalties. In my training, it is important for the RO to assess procedurals that are fair and consider whether a competitive advantage was gained. In this case, the shooter didn't really gain much of an advantage and the single procedural really levels his score to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

In my review of rule 10.1.1, 10.2.2 and 10.2.4, I only see one penalty, not multiple penalties for multiple rules. If that were the case, he would get 3 procedural penalties. In my training, it is important for the RO to assess procedurals that are fair and consider whether a competitive advantage was gained. In this case, the shooter didn't really gain much of an advantage and the single procedural really levels his score to be fair. 

If a competitor on a comstock speed shoot as described above fires 2 shots at targets in the second array before performing a mandatory reload, they would receive 2 procedural penalties, one for each of the 2 shots fired after the mandatory reload was required. This has nothing to do with advantage gained it has everything to do with 10.2.4 being very clear about it being 1 per shot. The fact that the shooter fired additional shots at the target after the reload is immaterial, as you can not shoot your way out of a penalty per 10.1.4.

51 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

If a competitor on a comstock speed shoot as described above fires 2 shots at targets in the second array before performing a mandatory reload, they would receive 2 procedural penalties, one for each of the 2 shots fired after the mandatory reload was required. This has nothing to do with advantage gained it has everything to do with 10.2.4 being very clear about it being 1 per shot. The fact that the shooter fired additional shots at the target after the reload is immaterial, as you can not shoot your way out of a penalty per 10.1.4.

47 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

10.2.4 as already stated. 2 procedural penalties and score the best two hits per target. Very easy scoring situation. 

Ahh, I misread the OP's original post. The shooter fired twice at one target and then yes, two procedurals would apply. My mistake.