Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dust cover length on new open pistol...opinions please.

BigBamBoo

I want to have a new open rig built and like the look of the full length dust cover with maybe a Butler cut. 

I know this really comes down to personal preference...ok...and does add a bit of weight out front...but I think the long look of the full dust cover is more “modern” looking. 

My current open rig has a gov length dust cover.

So please post your thoughts....points added if you shoot one with a FL dust cover.

I have one Open gun with a full length, wide dust cover.  I have another with the conventional dc, and a third that started as a wide full length, but I had it cut off the match the slide lightening cuts on the slide.  It shaved an ounce of weight off the front, which was just what I wanted.

1 minute ago, sauza45 said:

I like to keep the weight around 50 to 52 oz for my guns. 

My latest Limcat is an Hbar but has Limcat steel grip which cuts 4-5oz. It sits at 53oz and is perfectly balanced

16 hours ago, Posvar said:

It sure can. Add a tungsten sleeved barrel and heavy magwell to the mix and it's a tank

My Akai has a full length DC and Tungsten sleeve with a Titanium Comp. She def is a tank but it is very well balanced. 

• 1 month later...

It really depends on your strength as well.  I am 6'5" and was shooting a short dust cover and added a stainless grip from PT it didn't increase my draw time.  My wife is 5'2" and wanted  the same grip because of how soft my gun shot. but it added .17 to her draw.  So we went with a Shorty open with the short dust cover and let the comp do the work of keeping the gun on target.      

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 6:07 AM, JAF1680 said:

It really depends on your strength as well.  I am 6'5" and was shooting a short dust cover and added a stainless grip from PT it didn't increase my draw time.  My wife is 5'2" and wanted  the same grip because of how soft my gun shot. but it added .17 to her draw.        

Do a scientific experiment. If you could stretch your wife to 6'.5" you will see if there is a change in her draw times. If there is no change then it is definitely a physical force.🙉