Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slam fire?

I recently started shooting a FM Products SBR which has complete FM upper and lower. The problem is that the firing pin will strike the primer when the bolt is released. So far no slam fires, but this makes me very nervous. I stretched the firing pin spring which helped a little, but the primer strikes still occur. Has anyone had similar problems? Can I purchase a stiffer spring? If so where? I really like the rifle. It will run any ammo at 100%, but I am concerned about this issue.

ummm.   If the firing pin is striking the primer then the gun will go bang...  How are you not getting slam fires?  are you getting dimples on the primers?  that's different... and normal.   Is the hammer following the bolt when you release the bolt and hold the trigger?  what exactly is happening?

3 hours ago, weirdharold said:

I recently started shooting a FM Products SBR which has complete FM upper and lower. The problem is that the firing pin will strike the primer when the bolt is released. So far no slam fires, but this makes me very nervous. I stretched the firing pin spring which helped a little, but the primer strikes still occur. Has anyone had similar problems? Can I purchase a stiffer spring? If so where? I really like the rifle. It will run any ammo at 100%, but I am concerned about this issue.

If you worry about slam fires go with small rifle primers. Just don't use Federal small pistol primers, primer wall is thinner.

Don't create solutions for problems that don't exist.  Your rifle is fine, I suspect, with ANY primer, pistol or rifle.  If the hammer is staying back, I don't think you will get a slam fire.  Go shoot and check back in if you do.  in the unlikely event that your rifle is not 100% fine, your not going to hurt anything.

8 hours ago, dauntedfuture said:

Don't create solutions for problems that don't exist.  Your rifle is fine, I suspect, with ANY primer, pistol or rifle.  If the hammer is staying back, I don't think you will get a slam fire.  Go shoot and check back in if you do.  in the unlikely event that your rifle is not 100% fine, your not going to hurt anything.

Depends on where the gun is pointed when it goes off!

On 6/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

My fault....I didn't realize I was in the pcc forum. Every ar in 223/556 does that, from the ones I used in the military to the ones I own now. 

That's not at all normal on any of my GMR's. 

I'd suggest the OP contacts the manufacturer to discuss his concerns.