Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson CRP and Brazos Edges not available?

Mdooz

I've been debating the two options while I save up money, and just noticed the Brazos high performance edge is no longer available on Bob's site. I also don't see the Dawson CRP edges listed on their site anymore. Did I miss out? I sent Bob an email to find out. Just wondering if you guys had heard anything.

Thanks

I thought the edge was discontinued and if I was a betting man, I would guess they are getting ready to transition to whatever the replacement will be. 

BTW it looks like the standard .40 cal edge is available via Dawson and brazos has the pro series limited gun. Stoeger pro shop has the standard edge in stock as well. 

Edited by GringoBandito

7 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

I thought the edge was discontinued and if I was a betting man, I would guess they are getting ready to transition to whatever the replacement will be. 

BTW it looks like the standard .40 cal edge is available via Dawson and brazos has the pro series limited gun. Stoeger pro shop has the standard edge in stock as well. 

Yeah they both still sell the edge, I wonder why they stopped tuning them. I'd rather buy one already tuned.

14 minutes ago, Mdooz said:

Yeah they both still sell the edge, I wonder why they stopped tuning them. I'd rather buy one already tuned.

I know there is talk about reliability of a stock edge but I can't say I ever had an issue with mine. It fed and shot everything I put into it and I still use it from time to time. If you are really that worried about it, have a smith put in an EGW practical extractor and buy a a brazos ignition kit and that gun will run. For bonus points, send the barrel off to be Tin coated and the gun will probably outlast you. 

Edited by GringoBandito

14 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

I know there is talk about reliability of a stock edge but I can't say I ever had an issue with mine. It fed and shot everything I put into it and I still use it from time to time. If you are really that worried about it, have a smith put in an EGW practical extractor and buy a a brazos ignition kit and that gun will run. For bonus points, send the barrel off to be Tin coated and the gun will probably outlast you. 

thanks for the tips!

dawson is showing the edge on their website.  if they still have some, guessing they would do their supertune package on one (trigger job and reliability work) and prob could send out to get hard chromed if you wanted that.  call them.  fyi their crp pkg is just some bolt on parts.

I recently picked up a Trojan in 9mm from Dawson.  They took a stock Trojan and sent it to Virgil Tripp for hard coating and then Dave and the crew did their tuning job on it. Call and speak to Michael or Daniel and ask them what they can do on an Edge if they have one in stock. You can also call and speak with Bob, worst thing you can find out is they no longer have any Edges available.  Good Luck 

Dawson and Brazos had been selling them their tuned up versions at a discount for awhile now, presumably to clear them out. Looks like they sold out their inventory.

Glad I picked up a Dawson Super tuned verion when I did.

14 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

If you are really that worried about it, have a smith put in an EGW practical extractor 

i lol'd at this because I recently had to rescue my fancy custom gun with an old stock sti edge extractor after my EGW one broke (5-6k rounds through it). Dropped right in and ran perfectly until I could get a replacement EGW.

6 hours ago, Posvar said:

Dawson will still do the treatment if you call and ask them. Good Luck

Emailed dawson. They arent offering CRP for the time being. Just selling regular edges. Brazos also emailed be back. They arent doing high performance edges anymore. 

1 hour ago, Mdooz said:

Emailed dawson. They arent offering CRP for the time being. Just selling regular edges. Brazos also emailed be back. They arent doing high performance edges anymore. 

Being an optimist, perhaps this is because the new Edges are so fantastic, there's no money to be made by tuning them :)

2 hours ago, Mdooz said:

did you ask them about supertune (trigger job and reliability work), again different than crp (bolt on parts)?

2 minutes ago, davsco said:

did you ask them about supertune (trigger job and reliability work), again different than crp (bolt on parts)?

"That is correct. We will only offer the Basic models at this time. Mr 
Dawson has other project s to work on. And will be unavailable to do 
super tunes for now.

The ST maybe back at a later date in the future."

:(

Just now, Kilrb said:

I picked up a Brazos Edge on here a few months ago. Watch them and the CRP’s do come available.

Thanks. I will keep an eye out. How do you like your Brazos edge?

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Being an optimist, perhaps this is because the new Edges are so fantastic, there's no money to be made by tuning them :)

we have had 3, still have 2, and the last one (purchased about a year ago) is very very nice. I finally spent $25 on a trigger job by a good (underpriced) local smith, but it was not horrible out of the box, and fit nice and tight, and very accurate. It's still not as exciting as a custom gun, but it's alot of gun for the money.\

fwiw, none of our 3 have ever needed any tweaking to run reliably. Wish I could say the same for our high-dollar customs.......

12 minutes ago, Kilrb said:

I like it, shoots better than me. I had to do normal maintenance as previous owner had weird springs in it but a friend of mine that is gunsmith helped me with that other than that it just runs.

Glad to hear. 

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

we have had 3, still have 2, and the last one (purchased about a year ago) is very very nice. I finally spent $25 on a trigger job by a good (underpriced) local smith, but it was not horrible out of the box, and fit nice and tight, and very accurate. It's still not as exciting as a custom gun, but it's alot of gun for the money.\

fwiw, none of our 3 have ever needed any tweaking to run reliably. Wish I could say the same for our high-dollar customs.......

Yeah having to tweak a multi thousand dollar gun doesnt sound very fun. But I have heard that many custom gunsmiths have very good CS and will get your gun working right. 

16 hours ago, Mdooz said:

Good to know. Thanks

On 6/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, Posvar said:

Dawson will still do the treatment if you call and ask them. Good Luck

They had "Dawson tuned" trojans on the site for a while.  I finally had enough coin to buy one, and they aren't offered (but a stock trojan is).  I asked if they would tune one and they said "no."

1 minute ago, Kilrb said:

I know a lot of people running stock no problem. I had  gunsmith change my trigger and improved my Brazos. 

I have the opportunity to buy a DVC L for 2100, with about 1000-1500 round count. Just debating on that or a used Brazos edge if it pops up.