Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Police Begin Seizing Guns Of Civilians

Curious if there are any historical examples of this sort of thing occurring.

Any info on what will happen to the confiscated weapons. Will any of them be returned at a later date to their rightful owners (not that it makes it any better)?

(1) Since when can the media tell the difference between the rare civilian legal M16, a government issue M16, an illegal M16, and the uniquitous AR15 semi automatic?

(2) Is LA an "Open Carry Legal" state for rifles, or are people just jumpingto the conclusion that something illegal is happening?

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 8 (NYT) - Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to hundreds of security guards hired by businesses and some wealthy individuals to protect property. The guards, employees of private security companies like Blackwater, openly carry M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

Note the portion I put in bold, above.

Thanks to Our Hero, M. Bane, for the heads-up :)

I'll pull up LA law when I get to work (unless someone beats me to it...law, that is, not work) and see if there is a "suspension clause" in their concealed carry law allowing the police to revoke said law.

Alex

Governments have a tendancy to fabricate laws in times of crisis, and one of the first steps is consolidiation of physical power into the hands of the government and away from the citizens. Even if confiscation is illegal, the worst thing that could possible happen to the NOPD is being told to give the guns back.

During the Seattle/WTO riots of 1999, the mayor of Seattle declared that it was a crime for a civilian to posess a gas mask, as it was the duty of the citizen to be helpless if faced with official gassing.

We got the call for volunteers to FEMA to travell to the disaster zone as temporary FEMA employees; understandably we would serve as "volunteer relief workers" someplace in the zone & should expect:

-no air conditioning; long hot days outdoors, harsh condisiotns, difficult physical labor/limited transportation. Beyond that, no details were provided.

However, there was a FAQ that included this approximate exchange:

-Q. I am a Federal/State Law Enforcement officer. Should I bring my badge and firearm?

-A. No. Do not bring firearms when reporting to FEMA. Nor should you bring Law Enforcement credentials. Do, however, bring your Federal or state indentification documents.

Somehow I would not want to trust my personal safety to P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police and the rag-tag mix of what he calls "law enforcement" down there right now.

I will donate blood & money to help out the victims but without my Glock & valid VA CCW permit (valid in LA too) - I will not be headed down. FEMA & the rest of "government" just does not get it.

I wonder of the New Orleans Mayer and Cheif of Police have really thought this whole remove everyone from town thing. Once everyone is gone then there is no need for a mayor (No one to govern) and no need for a cheif of police (No one to protect) so it looks like they both should be out of a job. :blink:

I wonder of the New Orleans Mayer and Cheif of Police have really thought this whole remove everyone from town thing.  Once everyone is gone then there is no need for a mayor (No one to govern) and no need for a cheif of police (No one to protect) so it looks like they both should be out of a job.  :blink:

I was thinking the same thing earlier on when they were referring to him as the mayor. Mayor of WHAT? Lake New Orleans?

With regards to LEOs being told by FEMA not to bring guns, all they are telling me is not to TELL them I've brought my gun.

Forget “right” or “legal” in this case. The “authorities” are following the rules of gun fighting, to wit:

We make the rules right here, right now

Take a center fire rifle, in fact take several

Even better, take several friends with center fire rifles

If possible put your friends in an armored vehicle

Tanks are better than APC’s

Citizens should understand that it is not smart to take a center fire rifle to a tank fight

When the mayor said things were going to get ugly he had no idea…

David C

My next piece of tactical gear?  A "security" uniform !  Maybe even a nice little private security I.D. card above the breast pocket on the shirt. :ph34r:

Indeed. I have a licesne of private security guard (not that I am doing as job) and I was horrified taking test of firearm permit. I was D class shooter back then and I maxed out test. And people who are on the job and renewing the permits weren't even hitting the target 7 yards. Boy oh boy....

All they have to do is to get hired by security company. Then they are legit.

Given everything that's happened, this really surprises people? Militant Liberalism is all about victims, and if you won't voluntarily submit to victimhood, Liberalism will force you to at gunpoint. I'll bet you $20 that if you talked to the yahoos in charge of that goat rope, that they are actually MORALLY OFFENDED by the self-sufficiency of those remaining in their homes.

I don't believe martial law was declared, it's just a 'rule' that the NO Mayor (who seemed to be one of the first people to get out of town) and the NO cops imposed on everyone - except for the aforementioned cops, National Guard, and private 'I got my M4, what do you have' security guards. Article here. This is not sitting too well with me. :angry:

The classic saying goes in this case.

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

I'd be an outlaw.

They should be going with the other classic saying:

"An armed society is a polite society."

Edited by folsoml

I wonder of the New Orleans Mayer and Cheif of Police have really thought this whole remove everyone from town thing. Once everyone is gone then there is no need for a mayor (No one to govern) and no need for a cheif of police (No one to protect) so it looks like they both should be out of a job.

I heard an interview with this "mayor" Saturday morning on CNN. They asked him what his priorities were, and yes, rescuing people and restoring order and getting water pumped out were on his list, but... my jaw dropped when he said his #1 priority was to "get some R&R for his police force". He said that his police force had been "emotionally traumatized" by the experience (which I don't doubt), and that the right thing to do was to get them some away-time, but since it would take a lot of hotel space, and there wasn't any hotel space nearby, he was going to send them to Las Vegas (!), saying "there's lots of hotel space there."

That's what he said.

What I *heard* was.... "now that the Feds are here to do our jobs, me and my guys are going to Vegas".

:ph34r:

Bruce

Given everything that's happened, this really surprises people? 

The *first* thing that the Mayor of Los Angeles did, even before the Rodney King riots hit their full stride, was suspend the sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city. Doesn't matter if you were a law-abiding citizen. Doesn't matter that there was already a 15-day wait for handguns. "we just can't afford for ordinary people to have guns until we get all this sorted out".

B