Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 2011 Open - How to tune 9mm Major

Nic_USPSA_C

Go out and shoot it until you figure out how to grip the gun with the least dot movement.

Then get some recoil springs 7, 8 and 9 lbs.  I use variable wolff's FWIW.

Using the same grip you've established before, run drills with a timer and see which spring on the timer gives you all Alpha's 

in the shortest time i.e. Hit Factor

Do 7yd, 12 yd and 15 yds drills so you know the gun is running at the most usual distances we shoot in uspsa.

The timer and HF don't lie and don't care about how we feel or think the gun is running.

Then do it all over again a few days later, see if it holds up.

Or

Stick an 8lbs spring in like 90% of open shooters and go get used to your new gun! LOL

Good Fortune with it!

They did fire with 0 problems so far.  I have shot 75 rounds so far since it is more expensive.

I will be shooting it at a local level 1 match.  This will be a good test for it.

The dot movement was good, working on double taps.  I am for the first shot and double tap the trigger as fast as I can.  It has been working out for me.

9 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

working on double taps.  I am for the first shot and double tap the trigger as fast as I can.  It has been working out for me.

Reading the guys who are really good at this sport - they seem to indicate that it's better

to see the sights for each shot - no double taps.

Guess taps work out to a certain distance, beyond which sights might be an improvement.    :) 

1 hour ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

I would agree with that.  The dot from my C-More stays on target the entire time.  First shot is typically an “A”, second one 50% of the time it’s a “C”.

Might try gripping gun differently, to stabilize how the dot moves, or grip harder, so when you and me, mash the trigger the second time the gun stays in the A zone. 

Laughing cause I tend to relax some as the stage progresses and get LT side Charlie's from relaxing my left hand.

Fwiw

29 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

I would agree with that.  The dot from my C-More stays on target the entire time.  First shot is typically an “A”, second one 50% of the time it’s a “C”.

the distance of your target Should play a huge roll in your "double tap" speed.

Double tapping is fine if youre aware of where your dot is on the target when you fire the shot. if youre confirming your hit by looking at your hits on target after the fact, youre going to be shooting lots of mike in a match. 

• 4 weeks later...

Everglades makes a good middle of the road 9 Major ammo based on the club members I see shooting it (and the owners of Everglades are members).  Tune your gun, your grip, and your eyes around it and don't get too excited about the ammo.  It's a ways up the mountain before fine tuning ammo will be of benefit.

And by the way,  if you have gun tuning questions with this ammo.  Call Everglades and ask for Steve.  He's always been helpful in my experience.

Edited by blackfatbob

• 3 months later...

You're at 173 pf.  I'd start adding holes in the barrel until this load makes about 168-169 pf.  Yes, you'll be at the mercy in the future of the load coming in lighter and your barrel slowing down with age.  But that is how you would tune a gun to this specific load.

All the other stuff you can tune such as cycling resistance, stroke, main spring, recoil spring, thumb rest, grip, etc. are going to work similar for all loads.

I'm sure that was a joke. I load to 172 ish as it leaves me with plenty of margin for a slow chrono or any other potential issues. As stated earlier, tuning yourself to the gun and the load will yield more results than a bunch of tinkering.

6 hours ago, ziebart said:

I'm sure that was a joke. I load to 172 ish as it leaves me with plenty of margin for a slow chrono or any other potential issues. As stated earlier, tuning yourself to the gun and the load will yield more results than a bunch of tinkering.

Not a joke. If I actually wanted to tune a gun to a too hot load this is what I'd do. In fact, I built my last 3 guns this way and targeted the gun build around a known good load.

• 2 weeks later...

i highly recommend ordering a bunch of different weighted springs.  I don't believe in flat shooting open guns unless it is 38 super or its minor PF.  Get a little organizing tacklebox and head to the range.  if the gun nose dives, you have to much spring. if the dot stays high you don't have enough.  I would bet you need a 10lb spring but could be more or less depending on the main spring and slide cuts...  9mm major is all about the dot returning to where it was... never seen a flat 9mm... hope this helps.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, theWacoKid said:

Not a joke. If I actually wanted to tune a gun to a too hot load this is what I'd do. In fact, I built my last 3 guns this way and targeted the gun build around a known good load.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, theWacoKid said:

You're at 173 pf.  I'd start adding holes in the barrel until this load makes about 168-169 pf.  Yes, you'll be at the mercy in the future of the load coming in lighter and your barrel slowing down with age.  But that is how you would tune a gun to this specific load.

All the other stuff you can tune such as cycling resistance, stroke, main spring, recoil spring, thumb rest, grip, etc. are going to work similar for all loads.

this is exactly the way it should be done.  the last open gun I had built I sent the gunsmith a bunch of main springs, and recoil springs and asked him to tune the gun to the ammo I was running.... runs like a top and I really like the way it feels.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, Blurryvisions said:

I don't believe in flat shooting open guns unless it is 38 super or its minor PF.    9mm major is all about the dot returning to where it was... never seen a flat 9mm... hope this helps.

🤣 Obviously a 38sc shooter....

On 10/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, echotango said:

🤣 Obviously a 38sc shooter....

Haha I have a 38 SC yes....But i currently shoot a 9mm Chaos... Both outstanding performance its just crazy how different the two guns feel shooting the same bullet 1350 fps... I don't shoot the 38 sc as much as i want to but thats just cause i hate picking up brass haha.  9mm ftw for lazy people like me.  if i shot more USPSA nationals and not Multigun i would probably try to focus on the SC gun