Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, Anybody Tried This Gadet / Beavertail?

dirtypool40

Tried one, never owned one.

They make the gun wider at the top - wider than a G20.

They make the gun point lower - closer to how an STI points.

The safety-lever thing bends easily, the whole thing moves if you really torque it.

They look like something a paintballer would bolt on their "marker" for $5.

Not legal in Limited [once] - maybe it's legal this week, I dunno.

You might love it. Or not.

EricW.. how could you not use it: :D

Reduces muzzle jump by 70% - shooting weak hand only

Reduces muzzle jump by up to 50% - shooting strong hand only

Reduces muzzle jump by up to 40% - shooting with two hands stance

Improves shooting speed & accuracy

EricW.. how could you not use it:  :D
Reduces muzzle jump by 70% - shooting weak hand only

Reduces muzzle jump by up to 50% - shooting strong hand only

Reduces muzzle jump by up to 40% - shooting with two hands stance

Improves shooting speed & accuracy

"Increases tacticality by 82.3% - shooting in black spandex"

Hey, hey guys... Come on, don't be SO critical...

I agree those percentages seem to have come out of nowhere, but perhaps, if given the opportunity, it wouldn't hurt to try one of those things out and dismiss it if not comfortable.

And Glocks chew most people with the slide. On me it doesn't exactly hurt me, but after awhile shooting one (say 100 rounds from a G21) my right hand has two abrasion lines from the slide brushing against it. They'd be where the beavertail mark usually is.

Doesn't look right to me. A shooter in our club did something similar to his G35 frame using some kind of epoxy and blended it nicely to the original texture. It actually felt pretty good and prevents the slide from cutting your skin if you happen to grip the gun too high. I think the XD custom shop does the same thing for $175.

<sarcasm> I think more people should use them. I mean anything that can make your hand sit lower on the gun should help right ... or is it the other way around. </sarcasm>

If I needed a beavertail I'd make a permanent one. It's not difficult. There are several "non-gunsmith" guys doing them in town. It does take some effort to make the modifications look good though. Even Brownells has an article on how to do it on their website.

I'm looking to make a cheap, parts swapping, no fitting limited gun to play with and lend out.

Glocks are simple and easy to train folks up on. But I get HIGH on the gun and it attacks my hand like a mako shark.

Making the gun point lower and more like a 1911 ain't a bad thing, and I would probably dremel off the little thumb safeties anyway.

I'll see if I can find on at a gun show and see how sturdy it is.

I'm thinking, drop in trigger kit, swap out sights, a no mods magwell and maybe this beavertail thingy. I could have it back to box stock in no time should the need arise. Just a cheapy project to play with. Please don't tell Darth Whitacre.

I'm looking to make a cheap, parts swapping, no fitting limited gun to play with and lend out. 

Glocks are simple and easy to train folks up on.  But I get HIGH on the gun and it attacks my hand like a mako shark.

Making the gun point lower and more like a 1911 ain't a bad thing, and I would probably dremel off the little thumb safeties anyway.

I'll see if I can find on at a gun show and see how sturdy it is.

I'm thinking, drop in trigger kit, swap out sights, a no mods magwell and maybe this beavertail thingy.  I could have it back to box stock in no time should the need arise.  Just a cheapy project to play with. Please don't tell Darth Whitacre.

I bought one from Brownells, thought the thumb rest would help me keep my fat thumb from hitting the slide stop and causing malfs. Had trouble putting it on, had to start the pin on one side and really stretch it to get the the pin out the other side. Well, the thumb rest was way too big on the right side and screwed up my grip big time, had to trim that off. Also puts my grip lower on the butt, and I like the grip to be as high as possible. Took it off and forgot about it for a while. Put it back on the gun one day, just for kicks. Shot about 20 rounds and felt something sticking out and hitting my hand. The pin was now a loose fit and started working its way out of the gun, not even gripping the left side of the device anymore. Took it off and "THREW IT INTO THE BURN BARREL" AT THE RANGE.

OK, Glocks chew on me, but I am going to try and make a go of them.

More ebay crap or the answer to my prayers?

Glock beavertail

DP,

Where the hell do you find this stuff??? :D But then again, it looks pretty good. Buy one and let us know. I like the detailed percentages of how much recoil it cuts out and controls per hand, weak, strong or freestyle!! Who did that test to get those percentages?

Dude, good point. I bet it was either a card carrying mall ninja or a registered gun store commando.

Still, if I can have a servicable "bervertail" without major surgery, I may try it.

Kevin; what end of the world are you shooting now? I am home, gunless but home, and want to shoot with some tough GM Enos-verse types. pm or email me.

Dude, good point.  I bet it was either a card carrying mall ninja or a registered gun store commando.

Still, if I can have a servicable "bervertail" without major surgery, I may try it.

Kevin; what end of the world are you shooting now?  I am home, gunless but home, and want to shoot with some tough GM Enos-verse types.  pm or email me.

DP,

Im still in the Tampa Bay area. If you're gunless, I can dig something out of the safe for you until you get "blessed" again. :D Im going to have to make it over to Orlando one of these days to get with you. Ill be at Fl Open and the Fl State match again in 2006.