Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using Titegroup For .45 Acp?

Cuz

Why shouldn't I use Titegroup powder for a 45acp load? Seems no one is really using it. I'm currently using Bullseye, but since I load Titegroup for my .40 loads I was wondering if there's any problems using it for my .45 load as well. I'm just starting out loading a 230gr FMJ bullet. I'm switching from a 200gr LSWC because I want to get away from touching all that lead.

Thanks,

-Cuz

Why shouldn't I use Titegroup powder for a 45acp load?  Seems no one is really using it.  I'm currently using Bullseye, but since I load Titegroup for my .40 loads I was wondering if there's any problems using it for my .45 load as well.  I'm just starting out loading a 230gr FMJ bullet.  I'm switching from a 200gr LSWC because I want to get away from touching all that lead.

Thanks,

-Cuz

I tried it with 230gr. bullets and didn't really like it. The recoil was harsh, it burned dirty (heavy soot and flakey residue on my forearms), and the brass and gun got VERY hot. Faster powders like Clays and VV N310 work better with 230gr., in my experience. Titegroup did a bit better with 200gr. bullets and will push them to major at lower charges and less pressure than the faster powders. I'd still take N310 though. From a pure economy standpoint, it doesn't get much cheaper than Titegroup. ;)

Titegroup in the 45 is a bit harsh on the recoil. But still, a lot of folks use it.

WST and Solo 1000 are a couple that I have shot a lot through the 45 over the years.

Both shoot seem to shoot soft and they are very low flash in comparison to other stuff. Both are clean and neither are expensive.

I use titegroup in every load I shoot. 9mm, .38/357 .40 and .45. It is economical (spelled cheap)

Caution is advised on making sure the powder is in the case. It doesn't use much at all and you must take extra care not to overcharge.

And Yesssss, it does burn hot :)

FWIW

dj

Why shouldn't I use Titegroup powder for a 45acp load?  Seems no one is really using it.  I'm currently using Bullseye, but since I load Titegroup for my .40 loads I was wondering if there's any problems using it for my .45 load as well.  I'm just starting out loading a 230gr FMJ bullet.  I'm switching from a 200gr LSWC because I want to get away from touching all that lead.

Thanks,

-Cuz

Can't say as to how you would think no one is really using it. At my club it's the powder of choice for 45acp. There is no experimenting any more for me. 4.8 grains of Titegroup behind a 230 gr FMJ and I'm good to go.

As far as clean or not clean that one has been kicked to death. It's a reaction of combustion for cripes sake and one of the by products is soot and crap.

Only a coal miner would think Bullseye was not a very dirty burning powder. :rolleyes:

As far as clean or not clean that one has been kicked to death.  It's a reaction of combustion for cripes sake and one of the by products is soot and crap.
For the price, I could live with the "dirt." It's recoil impulse that bothered me most. Faster powders feel softer at the same power factor and seem to burn cleaner as an added bonus. My gun, my experience, YMMV. ;)

I use Titegroup exclusively in my 45. I've tried others and this one is a soft shooter.

On another forum it was mentioned that WST and Titegroup are the same powder, made by the same manufacturer. I don't know if that is true or not.

Back on mute. :ph34r:

Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize anyone was using TiteGroup for .45. Seems like it can be used, but runs hot. Since when I tend to practice I shoot a lot of ammo I may consider an alternative. there's just too many decisions, but I kind of like some of the experimentation.

-Cuz

Some has to say it...

Hello, I'm Bob, and I still use Unique... I know it's a bit dirty, but I have to clean the pistol anyway, and the soot has never caused my any functioning problems. I know I'm different, hence the name...

anachronism: n a person who seems to be displaced in time; who belongs to another age

Bob

I was using 4.9gr of TG behind 230FMJ's and really liked it.  It did soot up the cases down one side.  I've since switched to a 200gr SWC and Clays, but will probably still load TG when I need some FMJ loads.

Thanks all. After further research I've decided that I'll use two different powders for .40 and .45. I'm sticking with TiteGroup for my .40 cal loads and am going to use WST for .45 loads. I tried some today and I liked it much better than Bullseye.

Now maybe someone can tell me what they think my PF will be. I'm shooting a Colt Gold Cup with 5 in barrel. Using 4.5gr WST, 230gr Zero FMJ bullet seated to 1.265 OAL. I'm hoping this is making Major by a smidgeon. It'll be a while before I can chrono it. All advice accepted.

-Cuz.

Cuz,

WST was/is the powder the USMC pistol team used. It's a very good powder for the 45ACP round. I used it for sometime before switching to Titegroup. I would think with your load it will be very close to Major. My guess is you will have to chrono because it's boarderline Major. Every gun is different. 4.7gr TG, 230gr FMJ makes major in my 1911's and just short in my 625 4" revolver (need to bump it up a grain or two).

I recently picked up some Clays to try. Titegroup is a little snappy and many have said Clays is softer with the 230gr bullet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have shot over 20 lb titegroup in 45 acp in my SW- do the aritimetic- and like it obviously. with lead 230 ball i use 4.3 gr and get about 730-745 fps which is nicely in the major power factor range. when using jacketed i recommend checking the specific bullet speed as they seem to change and by a lot. montana gold seems to be pretty close to the lead ball- 720-735 fps- i use for practice and many of the copper jacketed are up to 80 fps slower! for the copper bulets i use 4.6 gr as a result. the power does burn fast and you dont need much so check the reloader from time to time to see if the setting is constant. with the double action pull of the revolver i don't notice much difference in recoil vs other loads though in a 1911 you may i think. other opinions??

tom

i have shot over 20 lb titegroup in 45 acp in my SW- do the aritimetic- and like it obviously. with lead 230 ball i use 4.3 gr and get about 730-745 fps which is nicely in the major power factor range. when using jacketed i recommend checking the specific bullet speed as they seem to change and by a lot. montana gold seems to be pretty close to the lead ball- 720-735 fps- i use for practice and many of the copper jacketed are up to 80 fps slower! for the copper bulets i use 4.6 gr as a result. the power does burn fast and you dont need much so check the reloader from time to time to see if the setting is constant. with the double action pull of the revolver i don't notice much difference in recoil vs other loads though in a 1911 you may i think. other opinions??

tom

Thanks Tom,

I did try some in TG but they seemed pretty hot. I eventually picked up 4 pounds of WST powder and like it. I'll continue to evaluate till it's gone and by then I'll see which way I'm leaning.

-Cuz

4.0 grians CLAYs and 230 FMJ....looking for a better 45 load stopped there with me...its a winner!

the only softer (major) load was a precision 230 with 3.8 grains CLAYS..

federal primers, mixed brass...gun stays is as clean after 1500 rounds as it was after 200 titegroup rounds...plus at night( i practice at nite) there is way less muzzle flash.

I use Titegroup with a 230gr.LRN, but I may switch soon.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I shot a mag. full of the same bullet over 3.8grs. of Clays. They went 760-780fps!! And they felt soft.

In the same pistol 3.8grs. of Bullseye went 695-715fps. Either I have a fast lot of Clays or the gun is trying to tell me something :blink: .

seems clays is a universal favorite.. humm i think i will load a few nundred with this chrono the lead and fmj and shoot them in comparison to the titegroup to see if i can feel any difference in the 625. im currently drasticly lightening the trigger so i might feel the effect. thanks all. tom

4.0 grians CLAYs and 230 FMJ....looking for a better 45 load stopped there with me...its a winner!

the only softer (major) load was a precision 230 with 3.8 grains CLAYS..

federal primers, mixed brass...gun stays is as clean after 1500 rounds as it was after 200 titegroup rounds...plus at night( i practice at nite) there is way less muzzle flash.

I was loading 4.5 gr WST with a 230gr FMJ bullet which I believe would make major. I didn't chrono it. The problem was it just wasn't very accurate. I need to kick up to 4.7gr to get the FMJ bullet to shoot accurately but now it feels like a very hot load. I guess I'm looking for the most accurate load that also makes major. I may be wrong, but it seems everyone is more concerned about PF than accuracy which I guess is normal since "accuracy" in this sport means hitting a pretty big A zone. I want to use the same load in .45 for pin/plate shoots as well where the targets are much smaller. Does anyone work up a load based on trying to find the most accurate combination?

-Cuz.