Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W TR8 ?

Revofan

Thinking of picking one up for Steel Challenge 

nice light weight revo 

any thoughts pros vs cons ?

anyone run one of these in any competitions?

Not new to revo just new to the idea of a scandium frame 

or maybe just get another 627 and lighten it up ?

I experienced the same as Alec- gun was ok but it wore quickly and for some reason mine was inconsistent depending on temperature. Now I’m shooting a lightened 929. 

I run the TRR8 327 and find it's very accurate. Haven't noticed these wear issues others speak of. The 327 has a torqued barrel not sure about 627

Could never see why the 627 is more popular, maybe because it's shiny!

The one i would like to see is the new ruger super gp.

11 hours ago, MWP said:

I experienced the same as Alec- gun was ok but it wore quickly and for some reason mine was inconsistent depending on temperature. Now I’m shooting a lightened 929. 

Stupid question. Lightened as in lightened trigger or lightened as in metal was removed from the gun?

I shoot a TRR8 for steel and a 929 for uspsa.  had the TRR since February of 18

The TRR8 is a really great gun.  light easy to maneuver 38Shorts, specials, and magnums all function well.

Few things I don't care for.  It scratches, really easily.  just kydex holster wear marred up my barrel, and the double alpha holster has worn all the finish off my trigger guard.  It popped out of the holster once during a USPSA walk through (backed into a wall) when it hit the ground, it received several scratches to the blast shield.

It's been back to Smith for repair once after the barrel nut came loose and my barrel started flopping during a stage.

One of my squad buddies shoots an open TRR8 magnaported and with an Eotech on top (don't laugh, he kicks royal butt).  He loves his more than mine, and really makes the gun work to keep up with him.

5 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Stupid question. Lightened as in lightened trigger or lightened as in metal was removed from the gun?

lightened barrels , titanium cylinders.

58793252_1103917296475229_38187018944197

1 hour ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I assume you have to pay a pretty penny for a titanium cylinder. I’ve never shot a steel challenge match. What advantage does a lighter gun give you?

Buy a 929 , they come stock with it. For a 627 though - you're better off winning the lottery.

as far as why, I prefer the balance of a lightened cylinder and the general weight of the gun.

Also, Ti cylinders are less likely to peen at the cylinder notches are many many rounds. 

51 minutes ago, Revofan said:

Who does those barrels ?

They are custom one offs, carbon fiber wrapped.

Email MWP - he is the one who has them built and commissioned. 

Edited by alecmc

17 hours ago, Revofan said:

Who does those barrels ?

My buddy has gone the carbon look on his barrels but what is really cool is he also shortened his cylinder and extended the barrel to meet the cylinder. Looks really different but accurate.

He is in the process of getting his 327 done. Shoots 38 SC in steel.

I have a TRR8 and a 627.

I like them both. I don't know that there's a compelling reason to choose the TRR8 over the 627; I don't notice much weight difference at all when they're in-hand. That being said, I'm not nearly the caliber of shooter most people replying to this thread are, so it's entirely possible that I'm too dumb to know the difference. 

One very narrow advantage the TRR8 holds over the 627 is the removable top rail. If you only shoot a dot occasionally, you can bolt the rail on, add a dot, and then take it back off without losing zero on your irons. It'll be pretty darn high off the bore, but so are C-More's ;) .

2 hours ago, matteekay said:

I have a TRR8 and a 627.

I like them both. I don't know that there's a compelling reason to choose the TRR8 over the 627; I don't notice much weight difference at all when they're in-hand. That being said, I'm not nearly the caliber of shooter most people replying to this thread are, so it's entirely possible that I'm too dumb to know the difference. 

One very narrow advantage the TRR8 holds over the 627 is the removable top rail. If you only shoot a dot occasionally, you can bolt the rail on, add a dot, and then take it back off without losing zero on your irons. It'll be pretty darn high off the bore, but so are C-More's ;) .

True, the top rail is handy for testing or using a red dot.  I didn't find the sight line to be too high above the bore.  Shown with the Raptor Engineering mount. 

image.png.3a37f8fba10f362f55cb6554a5059ce6.png

I really like the way the TRR8 balances in the hand but I have longevity concerns. Anodizing is very hard and scandium toughens it up some, but the base metal is soft compared to steel. I'm seeing wear in the hand slot in my 627, I have to imagine an aluminum frame would wear faster.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, PatJones said:

I really like the way the TRR8 balances in the hand but I have longevity concerns. Anodizing is very hard and scandium toughens it up some, but the base metal is soft compared to steel. I'm seeing wear in the hand slot in my 627, I have to imagine an aluminum frame would wear faster.

I saw the same on my 327. Wear in the slot, wear in the centerpin hole, wear on the top strap from flame cutting. That’s what got me to start making those carbon barrels, they come in the same weight as the scandium guns but none of the downsides. 

4 hours ago, MWP said:

I saw the same on my 327. Wear in the slot, wear in the centerpin hole, wear on the top strap from flame cutting. That’s what got me to start making those carbon barrels, they come in the same weight as the scandium guns but none of the downsides. 

Mine has a thin piece of steel(?) mounted just above the forcing cone to reduce flame-cutting (I assume). Did yours not have that?

I still think it's a really cool gun, but it's definitely going to play backup to my 627. That, or I'll add a dot, a laser, and a flashlight to it and be tacti-awesome.