Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 MPXs with high round count.

Okay, a question for all you bleeding edge of technology folks who have racked up some significant round counts on your Gen 3s.  How reliable have they been?  The cautious members of the herd want to know.  🙂 

3 hours ago, Neomet said:

Okay, a question for all you bleeding edge of technology folks who have racked up some significant round counts on your Gen 3s.  How reliable have they been?  The cautious members of the herd want to know.  🙂 

Super topic... my MPX is nearly here... Wanna know 🙂 (please only good news)

I just passed 5,000 on my GEN2 Sig MPX PCC since getting it in February. No problems at all. Like the new bolt carrier much better.

Disclaimer: I sold the folding stock, trigger, barrel and handguard before firing the first shot. Installed my old GEN2 parts (ACE stock, Hiperfire trigger, ILWT 10.5" barrel, +20 recoil springs, NLA charging handle and Isler handguard). 

I've got ~11000 on my Gen 2.  Extractor spring failed around ~7500 rounds... found out it's recommend to replace it at 5000, so my bad.  They cost a buck each or so with the plastic insert from Taccom.  Disconnector spring failed in the Hiperfire Eclipse at ~10,000.  Replaced it with the unused spring in the OEM trigger.  

So far only around 600 rounds on the Gen 3.  Broke it in & sighted it with 200 rounds, then shot it in the Silver Dollar match (12 stages, one day, no cleaning.)  Ran perfectly.  Not a high round count, of course, but there are numerous improvements in the design.  My Gen 2 threw brass shavings into the upper and lower for the first 5000 rounds or so.  Never an issue feeding, but it seems for many Gen 2 MPXs the left side feed ramp wasn't smooth or slightly misaligned.  No such issue with the Gen 3.  The new slide-in action of the spring assembly is really nice for cleaning.  The new handguard is a dream, and the Timney is so close to the Hiperfire that I'm not switching it out.  The extractor spring appears heavier duty with a thick O-Ring at the base.

The only thing on the gen 3 that disappoints me is the charging handle.  The tongue on the spring retainer keeps the upper from getting scuffed at the back, but doesn't do anything to keep the handle solidly in the grove and prevent binding.  The NL spring retainer ($40) is at least required, and getting the whole package will get you much wider handles.   

8 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

I just passed 5,000 on my GEN2 Sig MPX PCC since getting it in February. No problems at all. Like the new bolt carrier much better.

Disclaimer: I sold the folding stock, trigger, barrel and handguard before firing the first shot. Installed my old GEN2 parts (ACE stock, Hiperfire trigger, ILWT 10.5" barrel, +20 recoil springs, NLA charging handle and Isler handguard). 

JO- I have a set of the +20 springs- never used them- shot the first match saturday at AC with the 8" sig barrel

and the comp you gave me- Outstanding! What will the +20 spring do for me/you?

Oh boy..

"Gen 3" pcc - is just past 600rnds, no issues

Gen 2 - was at 6k+, only craps out at major matches

Gen 1 - 12k+, gun will not make it through a full mag without jamming.

Gen1 has been sent back to SIG once. Still not 100%. The Gen2 is actually my gen1 lower with gen2 upper with 4" barrel to keep it SBR legal. I have not moddified the PCC variant in anyway yet. Fingers crossed hoping this one last longer.

Edited by DocMedic

5 minutes ago, DocMedic said:

Gen 2 - was at 6k+, only craps out at major matches

Hahahahahaha... Oh, how the painful truth can make me laugh.  It is why the GMR 15 is still in the safe.  

#1 gen 2 started having issues @ 25-30K.... Started trouble shooting and applying "fixes" in parallel on the # 2 gun and induced the same issues I. #2 gun... Backed out and went down the opposite path and resolved everything in bouth guns ...  Have shared my path elsewhere on hear and been drowend out by others promoting the path that didn't work out for me..

On 5/9/2019 at 3:56 PM, 2011BLDR said:

I did upgrade to a gen 3 Carrier and spring guide for the #1 gun with the 30K + rounds fired ...

How were you able to convince Sig to end you a Gen 3 BCG?!?!

50 minutes ago, DocMedic said:

How were you able to convince Sig to end you a Gen 3 BCG?!?!

4 Phone calls, and I had to pay for the parts.

I needed to address the abnormal gouging in this upper from:

• over gassed
  • loose ejector
  • bad design of the dovetail interface of the carrier and the spring guide

IMG_20190109_121402886.jpg

IMG_20190109_121345117.jpg

IMG_20190109_121328737.jpg

IMG_20190109_121311560.jpg

36 minutes ago, SergioSF said:

Gen 1:  .0625”

Gen 2:  .0469”

Gen 3:  .055”

So I guess you could say they found the "sweet spot"? I have heard of cycling issues on the MPX's and from what I have read on here, most of it seems to be ammo related. I have a trade offer for a Gen3 that I am entertaining hence my curiosity. 

I measured the recoil springs from the new PCC model and they are the same weight as the original gen2's. Also, Rob@ILWT has noticed the port size on the new 16" barrel was .048" and some of the 4.5" barrels lately were .052". 

Lol, so was mine. I thought the same thing when I got the new gun. It was probably the small charge handle compared to my NLA. I rigged up a fixture in my vise and found they were identical to the original gen 2’s.