Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rate your 929 by serial number prefix

After having owned one great 929 and one that was far less than great I am trying to determine if there is a serial number range that is better than others. I am asking 929 owner to rate their 929 as it came out of the box 1 thru 10 with 10  being the top score. Please include your serial number prefix with your comments.

That is exactly why I am asking, my recent observations indicate certain serial number ranges require less work to achieve the best reliability and accuracy. Just trying to narrow the range down!

19 hours ago, 357454 said:

serial number prefix

Not sure what you mean by that, mine starts out XD59.

Mine pissed me off a lot with leading issues until I finally found something it likes to eat (0.358 coated bayou with sport pistol powder behind it), but at this point it seems to do everything a revolver ought to do. Not going to put a rating number on it because I am too ignorant in the world of wheel guns. 

CYL

Inspected this one today, barrel to cylinder gap was too wide on the left side, hand was too thick resulting in very hard double action pull. Have to rate it a 6

Edited by 357454
added info

CZT.  Purchased in Feb '17.  It has been reliable and accurate using TK .035 Clips for Win brass.  and 147 gr Blue RN .355 and 4.3 gr WSF.  PF is usually 140-142.  I did the action job and run the trigger at 6-6 1/2 lb so I can run any primer.  Only thing I was not happy with was the bolt did not go flush when pushed, the cylinder was stiff to open.  I removed metal on the front face of the bolt until it was flush.  Added a Hogue cylinder release and Pachmayr grips.  Wish Pachmayr made N frame round butt grips, used a set of K/L grips and ground them internally until they fit.  Chamfered the cylinder using a Harbor Frt. countersink chucked in the drill press and turned by hand.  While I had the extractor out I rounded the sharp edge of the chambers under the extractor.  I think that helped more than the chamfering, the clip would start to go in and then hang on that edge. 

How much weight can you drop removing the underlug? 

Thanks

Paul Beck

10 hours ago, paul788 said:

CZT.  Purchased in Feb '17.  It has been reliable and accurate using TK .035 Clips for Win brass.  and 147 gr Blue RN .355 and 4.3 gr WSF.  PF is usually 140-142.  I did the action job and run the trigger at 6-6 1/2 lb so I can run any primer.  Only thing I was not happy with was the bolt did not go flush when pushed, the cylinder was stiff to open.  I removed metal on the front face of the bolt until it was flush.  Added a Hogue cylinder release and Pachmayr grips.  Wish Pachmayr made N frame round butt grips, used a set of K/L grips and ground them internally until they fit.  Chamfered the cylinder using a Harbor Frt. countersink chucked in the drill press and turned by hand.  While I had the extractor out I rounded the sharp edge of the chambers under the extractor.  I think that helped more than the chamfering, the clip would start to go in and then hang on that edge. 

How much weight can you drop removing the underlug? 

Thanks

Paul Beck

How about these

1F42A995-CD1E-442E-9AA5-2778B0773C85.png