Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military 9mm ammo almost makes Major ?

Hi-Power Jack

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Because it’s unsafe for the Board of Directors.

What do you think will happen if they make a million dollars worth of SVI / Akai / Atlas Limited .40s obsolete?

($1M worth is only like ten of these guns, so my math checks out. :D  )

Their houses will be fire-bombed and they’ll all be tarred and feathered. And they know it.

I'm in favor of killing major PF all together.... max capacity of 20 levels the playing field between .40 and 9... regardless of whether limited division scores major or minor.

2 hours ago, tha1000 said:

I'm in favor of killing major PF all together.... max capacity of 20 levels the playing field between .40 and 9... regardless of whether limited division scores major or minor.

Major is the V in DVC - the basis of our sport...

5 minutes ago, racerba said:

Major is the V in DVC - the basis of our sport...

i dont want to get shot by minor PF ammo any less than I want to  get shot by major and minor scoring is more interesting.... regardless of what the V stands for in some dead language.

Edited by tha1000

Check it out...next time i grab an M9, M17 or M18 from the cage, I'll bring the chronograph out. This will be for the current military ammo, which is 124 grain nato "pretty much winchester white box" DODIC A363

Last i recall, it was in the ball park of 145ish PF

Edited by Rader1812

On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, Jeff226 said:

I shoot 9mm major out of my stock Glock 17 all the time.  Doesn't feel all that much different than 40 or 357 especially when I put the stiffer .40 cal recoil spring in.

I missed this sentence earlier, what's your major load? PF? What's the reason for running 9 Major in a stock Glock? How many rounds of 9 major have you run through it?

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Perhaps, explain the math to me that says case capacity doesn't matter when reloading.

Obviously case capacity matters when reloading but we all know 9mm can make major with the case capacity it has.

If 357 sig and 9mm major are both loaded to the same pf in identical guns using the same 124 gr bullets, how does case capacity result in "blazingly faster" velocities in 9mm major that destroys guns sooner or makes them harder to shoot than than the 357 sig?  Which formula uses case capacity to prove that?

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I missed this sentence earlier, what's your major load? PF? What's the reason for running 9 Major in a stock Glock? How many rounds of 9 major have you run through it?

19 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

Obviously case capacity matters when reloading but we all know 9mm can make major with the case capacity it has.

If 357 sig and 9mm major are both loaded to the same pf in identical guns using the same 124 gr bullets, how does case capacity result in "blazingly faster" velocities in 9mm major that destroys guns sooner or makes them harder to shoot than than the 357 sig?  Which formula uses case capacity to prove that?

Well I never said the velocity of two bullets with the same PF is different. I said the case capacity is different, which means the pressure in the case is different. Pressure is what damages guns. Pressure is the reason your local gun shop sells 357 sig but not 9 major. The example of the ammo in the OP of 150 PF is still minor, it needs another 150 FPS to make a major with a little margin for error at the chrono stage.

I'm still curious what your 9 major load is and how many rounds you put through your stock G17.

6 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Well I never said the velocity of two bullets with the same PF is different. I said the case capacity is different, which means the pressure in the case is different. Pressure is what damages guns. Pressure is the reason your local gun shop sells 357 sig but not 9 major. The example of the ammo in the OP of 150 PF is still minor, it needs another 150 FPS to make a major with a little margin for error at the chrono stage.

I'm still curious what your 9 major load is and how many rounds you put through your stock G17.

The comment of mine that you quoted, bolded, and apparently disagreed with was clearly about velocity being the same.  It is obvious 150 is < 165 (I think we have moved on from that) and what does the local gun shop have to do with physics?  You can buy 9mm major online, here is one example:  https://atlantaarms.com/products/9mm-major-147gr-jhp-elite.html  Atlanta Arms is not immune to lawsuits and they don't IQ test before each sale.

How does pressure damage one of two identical guns (except for cartridge), firing identical bullets at identical velocities, more than the other if neither case is rupturing?  What formula calculates the extra damage?  I think I shot some 225 PF ammo in a Glock 21...did I damage it more than shooting 175 pf ammo in the Glock 17?  Superdude posted a formula that offhand appears to be correct for recoil force but I don't see pressure in there anywhere.

I am curious how your side questions about my Glock 17 are going to help explain what you haven't explained so far with math?

Edited by Jeff226

7 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

The comment of mine that you quoted, bolded, and apparently disagreed with was clearly about velocity being the same.  It is obvious 150 is < 165 (I think we have moved on from that) and what does the local gun shop have to do with physics?  You can buy 9mm major online, here is one example:  https://atlantaarms.com/products/9mm-major-147gr-jhp-elite.html  Atlanta Arms is not immune to lawsuits and they don't IQ test before each sale.

How does pressure damage one of two identical guns (except for cartridge), firing identical bullets at identical velocities, more than the other if neither case is rupturing?  What formula calculates the extra damage?  I think I shot some 225 PF ammo in a Glock 21...did I damage it more than shooting 175 pf ammo in the Glock 17?  Superdude posted a formula that offhand appears to be correct for recoil force but I don't see pressure in there anywhere.

I am curious how your side questions about my Glock 17 are going to help explain what you haven't explained so far with math?

I was just trying to point out to you what the difference is in 357 and 9 major. The difference is the pressure in the case due to case capacity.  So if all your saying is that a 125 gr bullet at 1320 makes major then I agree. If you're saying 357 sig is dumb I'm good with that too.

I think my other question that you are side stepping is becasue you really haven't shot much if any 9 major out of your stock glock. Interesting note those Atlanta Arms rounds are to long for a glock mag.

I ran about 10k rounds of 170 PF ammo through a open glock with almost no stock parts left in it. Even with the comp it seemed to beat the hell out of that gun. I blew one extractor out of it, cracked on comp and had intermittent extraction problems, and a couple of those stepped cases separate in the chamber. All of that is pressure, a real open gun will handle that better. More case support, better comp, steel frame plus the timing of the gun. But even then those purpose build race guns break s#!t because they are being pushed to the limit. 

I think it would be risky to allow 9 major in Limited and see all those new guys currently shooting limited minor trying to learn to reload 9 major and shoot it in there stock gun. Leave 9 major in Open.