Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Rules


BreakYoSelf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Shooting Carry Optics with a Glock 34 MOS.  I have a few questions I couldn't find in the rules.  If anyone could help that would be really great.

 

1)  I am using the PMAG 21 round mags.  When doing mag changes sometimes they just take forever to fall out (usually on near empty mags) or sometimes they get stuck due to the lightweight.  Am I able to tape Lead weights (car tire weights 1/4oz) to the sides of the mag to make the fall out faster?  (The area where the mag body sticks out of the mag well.)  PMAG 21 rounds are already 140mm and they do not make heavier aftermarket base pads.  If I cant tape weights, then ill just get Dawson Precision extended base pads on a OEM mag.  Please provide rule for or against taping weights.

 

The only rule I can find pertaining to Carry Optics is:
21.7 Magazines OFM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. Grip tape and/or skateboard tape are specifically allowed on magazines and base pads.

Glock-21Rd-Mag-2.jpg.98141f005d0b812ca1ecc56295d1fa29.jpg

 

Edited by BreakYoSelf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What rule allows adding external weights to CO?

 

According to APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division, 22. Specifically prohibited modifications and features; Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

 

How would you justify the weights to an RO or MD? They're not magazine base pads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, David.Hylton said:

What rule allows adding external weights to CO?

 

According to APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division, 22. Specifically prohibited modifications and features; Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

 

How would you justify the weights to an RO or MD? They're not magazine base pads.

 

Sounds like maybe you’d need to add texture to them and call them grip tape?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, David.Hylton said:

What rule allows adding external weights to CO?

 

According to APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division, 22. Specifically prohibited modifications and features; Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

 

How would you justify the weights to an RO or MD? They're not magazine base pads.

 

I emailed Troy, and he said weighted basepads are legal. I would have to say you aren’t adding external weight to the handgun; you’re adding it to the magazine. 

 

 Brass basepads are legal. It’s the same thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, DKorn said:

 

Sounds like maybe you’d need to add texture to them and call them grip tape?

It's an aftermarket mag pad which is allowed. That or throw some stypling on it, its now grip tape.
But to the OP,, I think you are chasing symptoms not fixing the problem. Mags are binding, or you have a mag catch issue.  Can you push a Glock mag release too hard and bind the mag like on a 1911 ?  I usually go to stronger mag release spring, kinda prevents this,
ANother thought. Color your mag with a sharpie, insert and release multi times see where they are binding, sand that area down.
Or go with factory mags for your start and just use these for reloads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

It's an aftermarket mag pad which is allowed. That or throw some stypling on it, its now grip tape.
But to the OP,, I think you are chasing symptoms not fixing the problem. Mags are binding, or you have a mag catch issue.  Can you push a Glock mag release too hard and bind the mag like on a 1911 ?  I usually go to stronger mag release spring, kinda prevents this,
ANother thought. Color your mag with a sharpie, insert and release multi times see where they are binding, sand that area down.
Or go with factory mags for your start and just use these for reloads.

 

Glock wiggle is a real thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that what I call the Glock boogie woogie ?
Guy running down range with a fresh mag in weak hand, and strong hand shaking the gun trying to get mag to fall out ?
Actually this is a technique, training issue.
On the reload as you bring gun in , your weak hand comes off gun and strong hand hits release SWEEP the front strap of your gun with the lower joint of your weak hand index finger on way to your mag pouch.   Will catch any hanging mags and eject them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, Joe4d said:

Is that what I call the Glock boogie woogie ?
Guy running down range with a fresh mag in weak hand, and strong hand shaking the gun trying to get mag to fall out ?
Actually this is a technique, training issue.
On the reload as you bring gun in , your weak hand comes off gun and strong hand hits release SWEEP the front strap of your gun with the lower joint of your weak hand index finger on way to your mag pouch.   Will catch any hanging mags and eject them.

Thats a drill that every body should practice. I think the weight thing is wrong solution, just make sure your mag drops empty in the first place. I little dremel or mag catch attention usually eliminates problems in first place.

Edited by NoJams38
post was "saved" before comment made
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2019 at 11:26 AM, Joe4d said:

Is that what I call the Glock boogie woogie ?
Guy running down range with a fresh mag in weak hand, and strong hand shaking the gun trying to get mag to fall out ?
Actually this is a technique, training issue.
On the reload as you bring gun in , your weak hand comes off gun and strong hand hits release SWEEP the front strap of your gun with the lower joint of your weak hand index finger on way to your mag pouch.   Will catch any hanging mags and eject them.

Can happen with 1911's also, especially if the mag lips have spread.  But if you want fast reloads you're weak hand needs to be heading to, or already at, the next mag while you're punching the empty one out.

Edited by pskys2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1911 design is pretty easy  to tune so you cant over push the mag release.  Yeh learned about that by, over pushing mag release ,  Far as the sweep, all kinda one motion. However do have to admit, once I got halfway decent I quit worrying about reloads as I went from a 10 round game to  Limited USPSA.
Any way I think the issue is a tuning, technique, practice issue. Not an add weight issue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...