Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same charge weight, different bullet weights for production & steel challenge

obsessiveshooter

Hi,

I'd like to leave my press set up with no changes, and make 9mm 130 PF ammo for USPSA and then make sub-minor PF Steel Challenge ammo, both with the same charge weight of Titegroup, by using different bullet weights for each.

I only use Titegroup. I prefer to use 124-135gr coated for production. The steel challenge load can be any weight. It just needs to function in a striker fired pistol with 13 lb recoil spring & be a bunny fart for my wife.

Anyone doing something similar & have a recommendation?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'd like to leave my press set up with no changes, and make 9mm 130 PF ammo for USPSA and then make sub-minor PF Steel Challenge ammo, both with the same charge weight of Titegroup, by using different bullet weights for each.
I only use Titegroup. I prefer to use 124-135gr coated for production. The steel challenge load can be any weight. It just needs to function in a striker fired pistol with 13 lb recoil spring & be a bunny fart for my wife.
Anyone doing something similar & have a recommendation?

sub minor will make you slide cycle even slower and actually cause you to be slower. just shoot your uspsa charge

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You would have to go to a 115g 9mm or a 90g 380auto bullet to get a light load with the same charge you use for 124-135g bullets.  If you are willing to go with a heavier bullet and adjust your powder measure, I use 2.9g of Titegroup under a 145g coated bullet, and it is very soft shooting.  I am running an 11lb spring, but the 13lb spring also works in a G34.

Edited by hamiltonian

You would have to go to a 115g 9mm or a 90g 380auto bullet to get a light load with the same charge you use for 124-135g bullets.  If you are willing to go with a heavier bullet and adjust your powder measure, I use 2.9g of Titegroup under a 145g coated bullet, and it is very soft shooting.  I am running an 11lb spring, but the 13lb spring also works in a G34.
I would go heavier, but an hour ago I just ordered 3360 125gr bullets from Brazos for $168 shipped. Can you believe that deal?? So, it looks like I'm shooting 125 gr for quite a while. I do have about 200 Rainier 100 gr bullets from when I had a pocket 380. I'll give those a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

sub minor will make you slide cycle even slower and actually cause you to be slower. just shoot your uspsa charge

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's true for me, but my wife is the main person who will be shooting the light load. She isnt fast yet, and she is working on fixing going in and out of a flinch due to recoil anticipation.

Just something to think about... your wife might like competing in the rimfire category until she gets enough trigger time to ignore the recoil anticipation.  Steel Challenge with a 22 is a hoot!

Just something to think about... your wife might like competing in the rimfire category until she gets enough trigger time to ignore the recoil anticipation.  Steel Challenge with a 22 is a hoot!
A 22 would be fun, but she really wants to start from a holster and get comfortable shooting "real" guns. Besides, both my boys are sharing the buckmark at the steel challenge match- having 3 shooters use the same pistol in a match sounds like I'd be cleaning it every 3 stages or so...

She is wearing plugs AND muffs, yes?

I always start new shooters double-plugged and it helps tremendously.

Hell, I still do it myself a great deal of the time and I’ve been doing USPSA type stuff with a weak 9mm minor for 12 years.

It’s amazing how much more tuned into to your vision you are, when the gun is legitimately quiet. 👍

On 4/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

I would go heavier, but an hour ago I just ordered 3360 125gr bullets from Brazos for $168 shipped. Can you believe that deal?? So, it looks like I'm shooting 125 gr for quite a while. I do have about 200 Rainier 100 gr bullets from when I had a pocket 380. I'll give those a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is an amazing price.  Thanks for the heads up!

If your wife continues to be recoil sensitive, it might become important to

develop a 2nd load, with lighter bullets and lighter powder charges, just for her.

I've worked up some Very Light (PF110) loads for the family - they work the

gun but feel Very Light.  Lot of fun to shoot.

Might also think about a heavier gun for her - soak up some of the recoil.     :) 

My load is a 147 sns over 3.3 Bulls eye this makes 137PF in my Glock 34.

When introducing kids, wives , etc who are ready to step up from a .22.

Ill drop a 115SNS over the same 3.3 Bullseye load . Now it becomes 120ish PF and will

function every 9mm I own.  Haven't tried 90 grain bullets yet.

I loaded some 100gr berry's plated bullets over about 4.6 gr of CFE. They were ridiculously soft shooting in my SP01 clone with a 10lb recoil spring. It would have been better with the 8lb recoil spring I haven't used yet.
My wife's gun is striker fired and I'm not sure it will lock up with a recoil spring that matches the load. So, I'll probably get 115 gr bullets for her and use the same powder drop as for my 125gr bullets. At least there will be some reduction for her.

She is wearing plugs AND muffs, yes?

I always start new shooters double-plugged and it helps tremendously.

Hell, I still do it myself a great deal of the time and I’ve been doing USPSA type stuff with a weak 9mm minor for 12 years.

It’s amazing how much more tuned into to your vision you are, when the gun is legitimately quiet. [emoji106]

Absolute Truth being spoken by MM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 100 grain plated Berrys over 4.6gr of CFE ended up being 100 PF. The same 4.6 of CFE with a 125gr Brazos coated bullet is 130 PF.
The 100gr load ran fine in my wife's pistol, but for extra insurance I ordered a new recoil spring that is 2 lb lighter than the current spring.

Only problem is the Berrys has to be loaded about .1" shorter than the Brazos bullet. I might try the Bayou bullets 95 gr., and see if I can leave the bullet seating die unchanged. Their lube groove design is similar to the Brazos design, allowing it to be loaded longer.

I've done that plenty of times. Take whatever my press is set at for my 147 and just order the same profile bullet from the same company in a 115 and just drop it in there. Stupid light and silly. I was getting like 95-99pf ammo doing that. I never tried it with a 125.

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a load that works great. I do have to reduce the OAL to make it work, but that is easy. 95 gr Bayou coated bullet, and I take my powder drop from my .40 reloading setup that drops about 4.3 gr or Titegroup. This makes an accurate load right at 104 PF. Perfect for steel challenge.