Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GGI fat vs Springer Precision guide rod

be032

This weekend I was at a match and on the first stage my X5 locked up on the sixth shot in the stage. At first I thought I was riding the sear to heavy and just didn't have a reset, then tried to rack the slide and no go. I let the the RO know I had a malfunction and stopped the run while keeping it pointed down range. Just by appearance you could see that the X5 was just out of battery position and would not move.  You could see that it did have a round in the chamber as it was slightly visible at the ejection port, but no way to know it it was live or spent without checking the barrel, so that was out.

Ended up retiring my gun and shooting another shooters X5 to finish the match.

When I got home I had the tools to work on it and determine that the round in the chamber was in fact spent. Now able to inspect the muzzle end more closely I found the issue, the end of the spring had become wedged between the end of the guide rod and the slide opening for the guide rod. 

I am running a Springer standard guide rod and a ISMI 14# spring at the time, and have shot this a few other matches with no issues. After getting the X5 broken down, I did notice I had the spring orientation with the closed end towards the muzzle. I believe that I have always ran the spring with the open end towards the muzzle in the past, but not completely sure. I had completed a major cleaning prior to this use and the X5 was well lubed with grease so everything should have been fine in that respect.

Anyone else have this issue or thoughts on how to avoid in the future?

6 minutes ago, LawDog324 said:

After getting the X5 broken down, I did notice I had the spring orientation with the closed end towards the muzzle. I believe that I have always ran the spring with the open end towards the muzzle in the past, but not completely sure.

I am pretty sure the closed end of the spring goes toward the guide rod stop. I know that's how 1911 recoil springs go in. But I don't know if a reversed recoil spring would cause the problem you had. I've not had that problem, but don't have more than 500 rounds fired, yet.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, alma said:

Any chance you have a full length guide rod instead of an X5 one? 

After you made this comment I started to do some checking because I never felt the guide rod fit right, but due to nothing to compare and it had function fine I went with it.

What I found was the Springer Precision guide rod I have is for a standard P320 full size not the X5. I guess I may have clicked on the wrong one when I place my order but I went back and checked my invoice and I still have the package it came in and the part number shows it fits the standard P320 full size.

I have a Gray Guns Fat guide rod on the way

Thanks Alma

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Open end towards the muzzle or it will lock up a 1911 or I guess a Sig as well. I am really liking the 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring and the Springer tungsten guide rod setup. Next will be to make my grip a little more grippy. Thanks, Eric

This.  I run a 12.5 ismi spring with a GGI fat rod @ 135 power factor and the dot tracks great and it returns to zero everytime.

I picked up the Springer a few weeks ago and threw it in friends x5 with 14# spring as mine is off with Sig for drop recall. Without any ammo tuning and a 14# ismi spring it functioned very well. Not sure if it was mental but we both noticed a faster follow up.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, jcc7x7 said:

Open towards muzzle

Just FYI the legion comes from Sig with the closed end towards the muzzle. That’s also how I’ve always ran them in the X5, they bind up and are harder to install with the open end towards the muzzle. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

Just FYI the legion comes from Sig with the closed end towards the muzzle. That’s also how I’ve always ran them in the X5, they bind up and are harder to install with the open end towards the muzzle. 

I run them the same way I run them on my 1911/2011's open end toward the muzzle.

If it's working for you, as you like.

I'm not having any problems running the way I am, so apparently they'll work either way.