Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GGI fat vs Springer Precision guide rod

be032

13 hours ago, be032 said:

Thanks.

Springer is doing 10% off till the end of April, just placed my order there.

5 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

Is there a code for the discount? I'm looking at one also.

If you are talking about the tungsten recoil rods, they appear to be out of stock currently.

8 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

If you are talking about the tungsten recoil rods, they appear to be out of stock currently.

Not at this point, thought I'd try the standard one in black, some grip tape, and mag bases maybe. 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, PewPewJohnson87 said:

I’m running the Springer Precision Tungsten. I also have the shooting sports innovation’s Tungsten grip module, The gun is 39oz with a romeo1. Supper flat shooting and I can barely feel the recoil

Which recoil spring are you running with it and what PF ammo?

Hello: I just picked up a P320 X5 today for carry optics. It came with a GG guide rod and 1911 recoil spring. I tested the spring and it is 14.5lbs. I ran some ammo through my chrono and they were in the 133-135PF range. I tested 147gr and 135gr bullets. All ran 100%. I am going to test some ISMI 1911 recoil springs as soon as they get here from Shooters Connection. I will try the ISMI 14, 12.5 and 11lb springs and see how they work out. So far I don't see a need for a tungsten guide rod since my splits on paper are pretty good at 7-10 yards. Transitions are good also. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I just picked up a P320 X5 today for carry optics. It came with a GG guide rod and 1911 recoil spring. I tested the spring and it is 14.5lbs. I ran some ammo through my chrono and they were in the 133-135PF range. I tested 147gr and 135gr bullets. All ran 100%. I am going to test some ISMI 1911 recoil springs as soon as they get here from Shooters Connection. I will try the ISMI 14, 12.5 and 11lb springs and see how they work out. So far I don't see a need for a tungsten guide rod since my splits on paper are pretty good at 7-10 yards. Transitions are good also. Thanks, Eric

I am very interested in your results as I just replaced my guide rod with the black springer guide rod and the ISMI 14 lbs. spring from shooter connection and I have the 12.5  lbs waiting to try. I don't have access to a chrono and as such it turns into just a feel thing for me. I am also curious as to which brand and weight ammo you test, if you're not reloading

DK

Hello: I was using some reloads and also some 135grain Freedom Munitions I had laying around. I am also going to try some 115, 121, and 124's as well to see what I like best. I use hits on paper and a timer to see what is best since my mind can play tricks on what I think is best. Thanks, Eric

Shooting CO the dot stays on target very well, Keep in mind my gun is 39oz with the Tungsten grip & guide rod. I have never tried 124’s as the 147’s were used in my 226 Legion SAO that I started shooting USPSA with. When I made the switch to the X5 I dialed the powder back from 3.4g to 3.0g. It felt great for me and were very accurate and it only got better with the added Tungsten.  FYI I tested the velocities of a few 147 coated bullets (SNS, Black Bullet, Galant, and Blue bullets) the Galant’s and Blues’s were about 6 feet per second slower over the chrono then BB & SNS, BB & SNS were about dead even. 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I currently have a stock X-Five with a Romeo1 6moa. I plan on installing a GGI Competition Trigger and am thinking about upgrading to either a GGI Fat Guide Rod or the SP. I'm currently shooting 115gr UMC or Blazer. What Spring Weight would you all recommend for that application?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, mich3210 said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I currently have a stock X-Five with a Romeo1 6moa. I plan on installing a GGI Competition Trigger and am thinking about upgrading to either a GGI Fat Guide Rod or the SP. I'm currently shooting 115gr UMC or Blazer. What Spring Weight would you all recommend for that application?

Thanks!

12-14 lbs

7 hours ago, mich3210 said:

The key driver here is the power factor of the cartridge. My 130 PF 125gr loads like the 14# spring. To tell for sure, check your brass ejection distance. My stock spring ejected that load almost straight up. The 14# spring throws brass 6 - 8 feet.

Hello: Unless you actually test your springs you don't know what you actually have. Saying a Wolff 14 spring is the same as a ISMI or Sprinco spring maybe not always true. I also check them after 500 rounds and also when I think to change them out. Thanks, Eric

Best thing to do for springs is to get a calibration kit from Wolff and try each one to tune the gun to your load. I bought the Reduced Power Kit that does 11 to 15 lbs from them and now that I'm adjusting my load from 3.2 tg to 3.0 tg w/147 extremes and installed a tungsten guide rod, I'll be tuning it all over again with that kit.