Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which call has priority?

rowdyb

Wow, i guess getting screwed with a popper is a minor to never happening thing around here too. We mainly use the small poppers though,  maybe that is why. If we use bigs, we generally look  at them real close before the first shooter shoots. And we have made it all these years without match ammo, or hysterics.  But maybe we have all shot enough to know what needs looking after

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sarge having only shot for a couple of years myself, I can’t recall seeing many calibration issues at locals around here. I can think of a few times we’ve had issues with plate racks (mostly either with plates falling other than the one that’s shot or with plates bouncing back up), but nothing with poppers specifically comes to mind. 

Have you seen calibration challenges happen at local matches? How were they handled in the past? I definitely agree that the “knuckle test” is a good thing to do between squads to help prevent issues before they happen, but don’t know what we’ve done locally when issues do arise. 

3 minutes ago, DKorn said:

@Sarge having only shot for a couple of years myself, I can’t recall seeing many calibration issues at locals around here. I can think of a few times we’ve had issues with plate racks (mostly either with plates falling other than the one that’s shot or with plates bouncing back up), but nothing with poppers specifically comes to mind. 

Have you seen calibration challenges happen at local matches? How were they handled in the past? I definitely agree that the “knuckle test” is a good thing to do between squads to help prevent issues before they happen, but don’t know what we’ve done locally when issues do arise. 

What do other clubs do when a popper is hit, but doesn't fall? we all know it happens, from edge-hits and low hits as well as faulty poppers or poppers settling in the gravel. Generally the shooter calls for calibration here. Happens at least a couple times every match. (matches are 70-ish shooters, 6-7 stages totaling around 150 rounds)

Edited by motosapiens

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

What do other clubs do when a popper is hit, but doesn't fall? we all know it happens, from edge-hits and low hits as well as faulty poppers or poppers settling in the gravel. Generally the shooter calls for calibration here. Happens at least a couple times every match.

Wow, every match? I've seen it maybe three times in the four years I have been shooting USPSA. Maybe we're setting ours too light?

5 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Wow, every match? I've seen it maybe three times in the four years I have been shooting USPSA. Maybe we're setting ours too light?

we set them generally as light as reasonably possible, but people still get edge-hits and low hits, and we have alot of A and better shooters, so if they call a good shot and hear a ding, they stop paying attention to that popper. Maybe we use more poppers,  there could be 30 or more in a typical match.

Heck, I shoot major, and I've had poppers not go down at least 3 times in 4 years.

Edited by motosapiens

4 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

You aren't sitting them too light, you are sitting them smart

we set them generally as light as reasonably possible, but people still get edge-hits. Maybe we use more poppers,  there could be 30 or more in a typical match.

Heck, I shoot major, and I've had poppers not go down at least 3 times in 4 years.

From decent hits or from edge hits?

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

What do other clubs do when a popper is hit, but doesn't fall? we all know it happens, from edge-hits and low hits as well as faulty poppers or poppers settling in the gravel. Generally the shooter calls for calibration here. Happens at least a couple times every match. (matches are 70-ish shooters, 6-7 stages totaling around 150 rounds)

I honestly can’t think of any specific times this has happened around here. We don’t see a ton of steel around here in most of our local matches (for example, the diagrams for local match this upcoming weekend shows 5 poppers total in a match with 4 field courses and a classifier) and they are typically set fairly light. I remember a handful of reshoots last year for poppers blowing over but none for calibration. 

The only 2 times I personally remember seeing calibration were at a level 2

match, and it was done per the rulebook (well, I can’t verify that the RM’s ammunition was chronoed and such, but knowing him I’m sure it was).

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

From decent hits or from edge hits?

edge hits or very low hits. but you still call for calibration, and using proper calibration ammo according to the rules, sometimes you win.

It's not unheard of for large poppers to settle enough over the course of a squad to start causing problems, so I typically see how they feel when I'm resetting them.

Edited by motosapiens

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

. Maybe we use more poppers,  there could be 30 or more in a typical match.

Nope. We're in the soggy part of Oregon. In the winter, it's almost all steel as no one wants to shoot through plastic bags.

edge hits or very low hits. but you still call for calibration, and using proper calibration ammo according to the rules, sometimes you win.

It's not unheard of for large poppers to settle enough over the course of a squad to start causing problems, so I typically see how they feel when I'm resetting them.

Maybe poppers are karma driven and the time you get to win a calabration on a, "while within the rules we all know it is shadey" situation gets paid back later when the popper decides to screw you 🙂

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

Maybe poppers are karma driven and the time you get to win a calabration on a, "while within the rules we all know it is shadey" situation gets paid back later when the popper decides to screw you 🙂

I must have good karma. I have never been screwed on a popper.  Almost was once, but after a mag dump from a 45 and the popper was still standing, the RO looked at it and determined it was busted.

I have lost challenges on edge hits or low hits (I don't even bother challenging edge hits on mini-poppers), but that's my own poor marksmanship.

fwiw, i don't think there is anything shady about winning a challenge on a non-center hit. If the popper is miscalibrated, it's miscalibrated. end of story.

Edited by motosapiens

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I must have good karma. I have never been screwed on a popper.  Almost was once, but after a mag dump from a 45 and the popper was still standing, the RO looked at it and determined it was busted.

I have lost challenges on edge hits or low hits (I don't even bother challenging edge hits on mini-poppers), but that's my own poor marksmanship.

fwiw, i don't think there is anything shady about winning a challenge on a non-center hit. If the popper is miscalibrated, it's miscalibrated. end of story.

Only shadey if  bad shot from major gun = reshoot from ever so slightly out of spec ammo/popper or bad shot from calabration guy.  Turning a bad shot into a reshoot on a technicality is kinda shadey IMO, but maybe i am the only one that thinks that way...

Regarding edge hits and low hits, maybe those are not technically "hits?" The goal of a popper is to knock it down. If you shoot low, and it fails to fall, you haven't achieved the "score." A calibration won't help anyway since the RM is supposed to only hit the "calibration zone" (pictures in the rule book for those who aren't familiar). 

Edited by Mcfoto

17 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Check out Dry Fire Tech target shields. They're a little expensive at first but last a vary long time, and are way better than bags.

I'll pass this along to the MD but doubt he'll splurge. He gets clear garbage bags on the cheap at Costco.

1 hour ago, DKorn said:

I have seen a few. It usually works itself out by just doing a reshoot if there is good hits and the gun didn’t sound like a airsoft. Generally happens on first shooter to engage them because in the rush to setup they got overlooked. I have been first before and drilled a popper twice with an Open gun right off the bat. One of our knowledgeable local RO’s just said ,”stop something’s wrong and no need to waste ammo.” It was a big popper and was leaning forward about 15 degrees. LOL 

59 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I'll pass this along to the MD but doubt he'll splurge. He gets clear garbage bags on the cheap at Costco.

We got some once from the local dry cleaner and they were leftovers from Christmas. There was a huge wreath on them lol

On 3/19/2019 at 7:00 PM, rowdyb said:

Shooter is engaging a steel plate held to the post by the spring and clamp like used on many Texas stars. Steel does not fall with a first or second shoot directly on the plate. While the RO is in the process of saying "Stop" for a range equipment malfunction the shooter fires a third shot.

The third shot was fired while the RO said stop. That third shot was found to be a squib. What happens?

This happened on a squad Hopkins and I were on this weekend and we couldn't come to a sure answer. And I'm not an RO so turning to the group here who is and has more experience.

Maybe late to the game but it is a re shoot, based on REF.

R.O. said Stop (due to REF]

Next range command sequence is Unload and Show Clear, if clear hammer down, holster. 

The shot fired after the stop sounds like it was after the Stop command was given, it takes a little bit of time to process what is going on and stop.

Irrelevant that the last shot was a squib.

Lucky break for the shooter, as reshoots rarely work out in the shooters favor.