Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Case Feeder for 550

For 100-120 bucks, I might just have to try this when it comes out.

I know folks have mixed feelings about putting case feeders on the 550, but this looks like it just bolts to the primer tube and is very simple/lightweight.

The question would be what is the capacity, and what if any time is saved when you have to refill the case tubes (kind of like the mini bullet feeder).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not knocking the Dillon case feeder by any means but a 300 case feeder on a 400 press doesn't make sense.

If this is really going to be 120 bucks and it works as well, this will be a great addition for a 550.

• 2 months later...

Interesting at the price point for sure, esp if able to rig up filling them from an existing casefeeder in some way.  Shuttle mechanism will be the key I think that's the main problem area with the Dillon 550 casefeed.

I have an early Dillon 550 (1986 vintage) and read that the Dillon case feeder requires some trimming on the frame. I don't know if that's something that a DIY'er can do with a file or it requires a milling machine.

I hoping the DAA case feeder does not have this limitation.

I received this reply from DAA.

HI,

I hope this finds you well.

I was told the 550 case feeder will be available in mid to late July.

Regards,

Josh Lentz
Sales & Technical Support
Alpha Dynamics USA

2908 Betz Court
Orefield, PA 18069
Tel: (610) 366-9752

On 6/19/2019 at 10:43 PM, rustybayonet said:

Some how a case feeder on a 550 seems a little silly.

Just get a 650

I've been plenty happy with my 550 for over 30 years (and well over 1/4 million rds loaded).  Adding a simple and inexpensive case feeder will be a nice touch. 

So I can spend $120 or so and be just fine with my 550 or spend a couple grand for a new press with case feeder and all the conversions kits I need to get me back to where I started.  

Nope, not gonna happen.

Some how a case feeder on a 550 seems a little silly.
Just get a 650
I don't disagree that it's a little silly, but I think it's the price point that makes it interesting. If it's cheap, has a low footprint, and it actually works, why not?

Having started with a 550 then added the Dillon case feeder and now moved to a 650 with case and bullet feeders it is my feeling that if your really loading in volumes that warrant a case feeder it is really time to step up to a 650 with case feeder.

IMHO the best part of the 550 is that it is so dead simple. I will say that the DAA case feeder dose look better than the Dillon BUT your losing the simple nothing to go wrong aspect that makes the 550 what it is.

If I have to orient the cases before loading into the cases (can't watch the video at work, but that's what looks to be the case), I don't see much benefit.  If you load enough ammo on the 550, you reach a point where you can place the case, bullet, and index without conscious thought.

As others have mentioned, I'd go back to a 650 to increase output.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:12 AM, Flatland Shooter said:

I have an early Dillon 550 (1986 vintage) and read that the Dillon case feeder requires some trimming on the frame. I don't know if that's something that a DIY'er can do with a file or it requires a milling machine.

I hoping the DAA case feeder does not have this limitation.

Mine's the same way, a Pre-Letter 550 model.  Holding up fine.  I also ran into the CF issue, I've got a thread on it a few years back. 

At the time Dillon was sending out modified shellplate holder which was thinner to allow the CF to fit/work correctly so no milling required, but they did tell me they only has a small supply.  I guess they ran out so now the only option is to mill the frame.  You could also optionally upgrade to the C-Frame for less that $110 it appears, switching over all of your current components. 

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-rl-450-rl550c-upgrade-frame-change-kit_8_6_23995.html

Depending on if/what they charge for the milling, that could be a better option.  For that matter, one could probably sell their 550/550B and buy a new C press and not be out of pocket much too more than the $110 upgrade fee as well.

Personally I thought the Dillion CaseFeeder was a mess and took it off pretty quickly, and would not recommend it, nor milling.upgrading just for the sake of the casefeed.

Edited by 78Staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Older post but I wandered into it so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I have the 550 casefeeder. The tubes on mine could have used a few more inches of length as sometimes they detach and jam things up. Some tape fixed that but it's dumb to have to do that. The casefeeder gets in the way of the case feed station... yeah, that's obvious, but it REALLY gets in the way. I figured out how to adjust it so that cases don't press in against the center of the plate and then rebound away, leaving it in postion to get crushed by the resizing die and then causing you a headache as you try to desperately reach your hand in that space through the press to retrieve it. These can all be fixed. My press with case feeder works great and there really is something to be said for a case feeder. It's much more efficient of an upgrade than a bullet feeder.
However ... you retrofit the case feeding station, which is also the depriming station and this is where mine angers me ... it flings primers everywhere. Pre casefeeder I NEVER had any primers miss the disposal cup. Now it's at least once per 100.

I'm interested to see how this DAA one works. I've already spent the money on the Dillon one, but this should be interesting.

It's October now ... did they start selling them?

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is wondering, got the below response from Double-Alpha today . . .

hope this finds you well and thank you for the interest in our 550 case-feeder.

Unfortunately, we had an issue with the 223 casing, which push back our release date until the 1st quarter of 2020.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I dont care, I only use pistol ammo anyway. Oh well. Wait some more.

In case anyone is wondering, got the below response from Double-Alpha today . . .

hope this finds you well and thank you for the interest in our 550 case-feeder.

Unfortunately, we had an issue with the 223 casing, which push back our release date until the 1st quarter of 2020.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I dont care, I only use pistol ammo anyway. Oh well. Wait some more.

Thanks! Was wondering about this.

• 1 month later...

If I was a producer and promised a product I would make sure I got it out like I said. It seems it is such an easy Change over from a 650 to a 550. I have been waiting so long I might as well just buy a 650 and not have to worry about waiting for it to come and the broken promises.

1 hour ago, Bobbieb said:

If I was a producer and promised a product I would make sure I got it out like I said. It seems it is such an easy Change over from a 650 to a 550. I have been waiting so long I might as well just buy a 650 and not have to worry about waiting for it to come and the broken promises.

Dillon did same thing with 1100... Designers/Manufacturers screw up...