Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Case Feeder for 550

18 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

Dillon did same thing with 1100... Designers/Manufacturers screw up...

Generally speaking, it's the Marketing department that makes promises that the Design and Manufacturing departments can't meet.

Nolan

On 2/6/2020 at 3:10 PM, Nolan said:

Generally speaking, it's the Marketing department that makes promises that the Design and Manufacturing departments can't meet.

Nolan

I agree. I work in software and there is nothing really physical to send out, but dates slip if you don't want to ship a broken product and want to deal with returns or upgrades of faulty products. But it's also hard to show a product at a show and not have some date to give to prospective customers. 
I'd rather have a well working product than one that is rushed out the door.

I have the dillon case feeder on one 550b, but I have another 550b that could do with a nice lower cost case feeder (that one just does .45).

• 4 weeks later...

Another update from Josh at Double Alpha.  At least they are replying and being open about what is going on.

We are working on the 550  case feeder. We felt the design we had last year was not ready as it did not solve all issues we needed it to address and we felt did not offer a robust enough solution. So we continued to work on it. We prefer not to come to market with a product until I am convinced it’s as good as we can make it!

I think we are there now, and are shortly going to tooling. But that will be a three months process. So as it stands now, I expect it will be April or May at best.

Another update from Josh at Double Alpha.  At least they are replying and being open about what is going on.

We are working on the 550  case feeder. We felt the design we had last year was not ready as it did not solve all issues we needed it to address and we felt did not offer a robust enough solution. So we continued to work on it. We prefer not to come to market with a product until I am convinced it’s as good as we can make it!

I think we are there now, and are shortly going to tooling. But that will be a three months process. So as it stands now, I expect it will be April or May at best.

Appreciate the update

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Not unexpected news from Josh at Double Alpha . . . . .

Unfortunately, with current global situation we have slowed this project down and kind of put it on the back burner. At this point all I can say is It MIGHT be available in early Jan 2021.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Wiskey3 said:

IT'S DONE AND IN STOCK READY TO ORDER !!!

Looks like a contraption for sure.

Still more compact and quieter than the Dillon monster.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-550-mini-case-feeder

Ordered one yesterday, will see how this will work out. Height-wise, I just fits onto my 550, the Dillon Monster would be too high (at least from what I saw in pictures).

DAA told me the mini casefeeder is 27" high from the above tool head (I have about 30").

8 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I want one, but can't justify it right now.  Not really loading a whole lot with the primer shortage... 

actually, now is the best time for you to buy it. Once primers become available you will be spending all your money on primers. 

1 minute ago, Cuz said:

actually, now is the best time for you to buy it. Once primers become available you will be spending all your money on primers. 

Hadn't thought of it like that... sound reasoning.  

And I can always save on shipping my picking it up since the warehouse is an hour from me.  Can stop there on the way to Area 7 next week...

5 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Hadn't thought of it like that... sound reasoning.  

And I can always save on shipping my picking it up since the warehouse is an hour from me.  Can stop there on the way to Area 7 next week...

Make sure to call them and get a confirmation when you want to go there.

So, it arrived here yesterday with the mail.

I installed it today, took maybe an hour as I was going upstairs to watch some part of the video and then down in the shop to do the next step.

You need a couple of metric hex keys, so they did not tell you this, glad I have a set as well. It works just fine, as shown in the video.

The only hard part was to get the part that sits on top of the primer outside tube was very tight and it took me maybe some 10 minuets to get this on; one would need three hands, two to pry the slit open and the third one to push the unit onto and down the tube.

Only one problem I have seen so far is that the cases are not really supported during the  step 1, the re-size/prime - the original Dillon setup has the little wire spring....and this one has nothing as they need the path clear. So, if you go too fast, the case may not be perfectly aligned and this gives you issues with setting the primer. Slowing down a bit helps to improve this, I also found that some cases are more prone for this. Other than this, just works like it should be and you keep the hand on the handle.

The reloading process is a bit faster.

I keep this on the one press with the small primers for 9 mm and also 357 mag - just need to change the red tube and the spacer.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the case feeder after approx 1k rounds loaded. Working as expected. Not much faster than manual loading the case into first stage. One must make sure the case is properly aligned. If you think you have a nice rhythm going, some odd case will not align, and one must use a finger to set the case "straight". But, no much space there to do this. I developed some kind of technique where I give the handle a little wiggle and this mostly straightens the case.

The one other thing that annoys me is that spent primer flying all over, and I have not figured out why. Rarely had I a spent primer flying around before I installed the case feeder.

Loading the magazine tubes with the funnel is going very fast, and in the 5 or 6 mags I have loaded, I think I had one or two cases upside down.

If they came up with a fix to hold the case in stage one until the die comes down, then this would be a perfect thing.

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I converted from 9 mm to 357 mag. For this caliber (and I guess fir 38 spl) this feeder works just perfect. No need to wiggle the press handle so the case is properly aligned for the primer to be set. With 357, the case is perfectly aligned and I got up to quite some speed. Love it for this round. For 9 mm it takes too much to look out for and make sure the case alignment is good, otherwise, crushed primers are the result. Would I get this again??  As a feeder for a dedicated press for 357 and 38 spl, absolutely, for 9 mm - no!! I have two 550's, one each for larger and small primers, so the small is used for the revolver calibers and the 9 mm.

• 1 month later...