Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2x4 protectors??

mwx40x40

Any Steel Challenge clubs out there using 2x4 protectors such as the ones sold by AtlasTarget Works, or Shooting Targets 7?

l know we might get some complaints about the sound feedback. We seem to be spending a lot of time and money replacing 2x4’s and hoping this will help. I’m thinking if installed with rubber insulators it will help dampen the sound when hit.

of course if you are listening for feedback or watching bullet splats, you will never shoot steel at a high level😳

We don't use protectors, because we have shooters of all levels.  Many do listen for the ding.  Some request the hits be called.  They last a pretty long time.  When they are shot up enough that I don't trust them, I put them aside.  I cut off the damaged section and use them as targets in the 2x4 shoots.  That really draws the crowds.

BTW, you always listen for the ding, you just don't wait for it.  You call your shot, move to the next target and the ding just confirms you were right on your call.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, mwx40x40 said:

Any Steel Challenge clubs out there using 2x4 protectors such as the ones sold by AtlasTarget Works, or Shooting Targets 7?

l know we might get some complaints about the sound feedback. We seem to be spending a lot of time and money replacing 2x4’s and hoping this will help. I’m thinking if installed with rubber insulators it will help dampen the sound when hit.

of course if you are listening for feedback or watching bullet splats, you will never shoot steel at a high level😳

I know that Grizzly Targets has or is coming out with a galvanized 2x4 replacement at different heights. I saw them sitting around when I visited their factory the other day.  They also had new steel targets that "floated" on springs to absorb heavier impact rounds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, rowdyb said:

Clubs I know run metal stands and posts with no complaints from shooters brand new to gm.

I have used the metal stands and I've had some complaints that they heard it ring when hitting the stand and no evidence of a hit on the plate, so we now use 2x4s.

hmmm .... is the cost of replacing 2x4s really that big of an issue at your club?   What do you charge as a match fee?   One of the nice things about matches from a club perspective is that after the initial investment in steel  your only monthly match costs are paint & occasionally replacing 2x4s which should only be a fraction of the fees collected at a match.

Ex:   50 shooters @ $10/gun for members & $15/gun for non members.  So say the total collected for the match was $550.   

$1/shooter activity fee to HQ:           $50

Paint (2 cans/stage @ 8 stages):     $60 (if you buy the good stuff,  $16 if you buy the cheap, contractor paint from Lowes)

Replacement 2x4s (` 2-3/match):     $15  (this was the ave when I was a MD)

Total ops cost/match:                      ~$125

"profit'/match :                                   $425   or ~ $5,000/yr

Not sure I understand the problem ..... oh and you NEVER listen for the ding when shooting.   Even as some 'after-the-fact' conformation thing.   Might have to do a podcast about this one .... :)

21 hours ago, Nimitz said:

hmmm .... is the cost of replacing 2x4s really that big of an issue at your club?   What do you charge as a match fee?   One of the nice things about matches from a club perspective is that after the initial investment in steel  your only monthly match costs are paint & occasionally replacing 2x4s which should only be a fraction of the fees collected at a match.

Ex:   50 shooters @ $10/gun for members & $15/gun for non members.  So say the total collected for the match was $550.   

$1/shooter activity fee to HQ:           $50

Paint (2 cans/stage @ 8 stages):     $60 (if you buy the good stuff,  $16 if you buy the cheap, contractor paint from Lowes)

Replacement 2x4s (` 2-3/match):     $15  (this was the ave when I was a MD)

Total ops cost/match:                      ~$125

"profit'/match :                                   $425   or ~ $5,000/yr

Not sure I understand the problem ..... oh and you NEVER listen for the ding when shooting.   Even as some 'after-the-fact' conformation thing.   Might have to do a podcast about this one .... :)

It’s not so much the cost , as it the labor.One small bit of info I did not reveal. Our club decided to use a local vendor to build our SC steel and while they used 4” channel, they used heavy schedule thickness making the inside dimensions to small for 2x4. So , all our 2x4’s have to be run through a planer to fit. 

+1 for not listening for ding.

What Memphis said above but we use 1.5” angle iron that are two feet long each. Drill two holes in each one and mount it on the narrow side of the 2x4 like a mountain top. If hit it does not sound off like the plates and the bullet deflects to the left or right. 

Cost is $4.00 each and they have paid for themselves 5 times over so far I would guess....This is the way to go and can be purchased at any local metal shop.....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226